Blake Griffin traded to Detroit

bigbadbuff23835

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

This is shades of Jerry West with the Monta for Bogut (and obviously other pieces moving back and forth) trade.  I don't know how confident I am in Jerry being able to pull off a repeat of what he did up north, but this feels like a similar start regardless.

But to make this kind of trade, you have to think the Clips think they've got a max-contract FA on lock, but who?  I'm genuinely puzzled by that.

What max FA is signing with the Clippers?

Just now, CWood21 said:

What max FA is signing with the Clippers?

Not sure, I'm genuinely puzzled.  Jerry West does have pull, but I was more commenting on the fact that this is the sort of move you don't make unless you have that kind of confidence.  I don't imagine West is trying to go about a "rebuild through the lottery" approach here - largely because with Doc and the decent-but-far-from-name-value players the club has, that's likely a 10-year (or close) rebuild before you get the picks (barring dumb luck) to really make a difference.

Why is this such a bad trade for the Clippers? They were about to be stuck in no man's land until Griffin's deal was up and now they could have a true rebuild. Jordan was going to opt out anyways or be traded himself so they were able to shed a  lot of salary and come away with a potential lottery pick. 

Jerry West is no fool. 

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

This is shades of Jerry West with the Monta for Bogut (and obviously other pieces moving back and forth) trade.  I don't know how confident I am in Jerry being able to pull off a repeat of what he did up north, but this feels like a similar start regardless.

But to make this kind of trade, you have to think the Clips think they've got a max-contract FA on lock, but who?  I'm genuinely puzzled by that.

Literally nothing similar between both situations lol 

WOW! What a trade for the Pistons!

Pretty dang happy. Been calling for Stans job but what a doozy on this trade. Be nice if we could couple it with something else small like an upgrade over Ish Smith but that's getting greedy, we just acquire the best player the franchise has had sense idk, Chauncey Billups/ Rasheed Wallace/ Rip Hamilton.

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Clips get out of Griffin's deal and get to have a full rebuild once DJ is gone. Not bad. 

The deal they literally signed him to less than a year ago... Not a good look for this FO if they were that desperate to get out of the contract already. Even then, I have a hard time believing this is the best they could get. If it was, then you wait it out until the offseason for a better offer. Blake is at worst a top 20 player, and in his prime. You have to at least get a high draft pick, or another all-NBA level guy, in return.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why is this such a bad trade for the Clippers? They were about to be stuck in no man's land until Griffin's deal was up and now they could have a true rebuild. Jordan was going to opt out anyways or be traded himself so they were able to shed a  lot of salary and come away with a potential lottery pick. 

Jerry West is no fool. 

Detroit with Blake in the East, unless he gets injured again for a lengthy period, is a playoff team.  That 1st isn't going to be a lottery pick.  And barring some screwy (i.e. Cleveland gets the #1 pick immediately after losing LeBron) lottery business, they're not going to have the balls in play in the lottery to get their pick this year into "difference-maker" range.  I don't necessarily disagree with this being a bad move for the Clippers (aside from the fact that they literally just traded away the identity of their rebirth right before season ticket renewals are set to come up), but I don't see rebuilding through the lottery as a feasible possibility for this team in any kind of timely manner.

Archived