Blake Griffin traded to Detroit

bigbadbuff23835

5 minutes ago, Darkness said:

Literally nothing similar between both situations lol 

Exactly what I'd expect to hear from you.  You'll pardon me if I don't take hyperbolic comments from the biggest Warriors homer (granted, that stretches back to before they were ever great) on the site with all that much weight.

Sure, they should have never given him that deal and pretend like they had a chance to win, but this isn't a bad deal. Only chance of them landing a top 20 player is through the draft and that is certainly possible when they tank next season. And they will likely get a 1st rounder for DJ or Lou, so they could end up with two lottery picks along with another one first rounder. Obviously they shed a lot of salary giving them a chance to go after max caliber players if they choose to in the upcoming years. 

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Detroit with Blake in the East, unless he gets injured again for a lengthy period, is a playoff team.  That 1st isn't going to be a lottery pick.  And barring some screwy (i.e. Cleveland gets the #1 pick immediately after losing LeBron) lottery business, they're not going to have the balls in play in the lottery to get their pick this year into "difference-maker" range.  I don't necessarily disagree with this being a bad move for the Clippers (aside from the fact that they literally just traded away the identity of their rebirth right before season ticket renewals are set to come up), but I don't see rebuilding through the lottery as a feasible possibility for this team in any kind of timely manner.

It's not given they make the playoffs this year. The Pistons have a flawed roster and are currently three games out of the playoffs. The 76ers aren't going anywhere, and the Pacers are solid. I would be surprised if they end up making the playoffs to be honest. 

And the trade allows them to tank next season something that wasn't going to happen with Griffin on the roster. He's good enough to keep them around the .500 mark and that's the worst place you want to be. The process is going to be lengthy, but the Clippers like I said in my other post will have possibly three first rounders this season and a top 3-5 pick next year. 

Just now, The LBC said:

Exactly what I'd expect to hear from you.  You'll pardon me if I don't take hyperbolic comments from the biggest Warriors homer (granted, that stretches back to before they were ever great) on the site with all that much weight.

The Warriors already had Curry, Thompson, and Lee when they traded Ellis for Bogut. They made the trade in the hopes of taking the next step into becoming a playoff team. Totally similar situations. lol You’re a moron 

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

Because they traded their best player who is a star (maybe superstar off the court with how recognizable he is) for a bunch of role players?

A superstar that was going to do exactly what with the current roster? And then how about after DJ leaves? You want the Clippers to be stuck in mediocrity for the next five years? Because that's exactly the path they were on. They had false hope giving him the big deal in the offseason, but props to them for correcting their mistake and not being ignorant. This is a team that needs to rebuild and they get the chance to do so with this trade. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's not given they make the playoffs this year. The Pistons have a flawed roster and are currently three games out of the playoffs. The 76ers aren't going anywhere, and the Pacers are solid. I would be surprised if they end up making the playoffs to be honest. 

And the trade allows them to tank next season something that wasn't going to happen with Griffin on the roster. He's good enough to keep them around the .500 mark and that's the worst place you want to be. The process is going to be lengthy, but the Clippers like I said in my other post will have possibly three first rounders this season and a top 3-5 pick next year. 

This team tried tanking or at least were in prime position to do so this season (seriously, go and look at the number of games missed by the presumptive Opening Day starters this season) and they were still, as of today, sitting 1 game out of the 8-seed and 3 games out of the 6-seed in the West.

I'm just saying that I don't expect 1/3 of the "assets" acquired for Blake to still be on this roster come, at the latest, this time next year.  If the hope is to do a true lottery rebuild, they're going to have to package some of these guys in with the likes of DAJ and Lou to get the least-protected likely lottery picks as possible.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

A superstar that was going to do exactly what with the current roster? And then how about after DJ leaves? You want the Clippers to be stuck in mediocrity for the next five years? Because that's exactly the path they were on. They had false hope giving him the big deal in the offseason, but props to them for correcting their mistake and not being ignorant. This is a team that needs to rebuild and they get the chance to do so with this trade. 

Blake Griffin is the face of their franchise.  Who cares if DeAndre freaking Jordan leaves... good.  Maybe the Clippers can sign a FA over the next few years to pair with Blake and help the team win.  Just because their team is bad right now, doesn't mean it wouldn't have improved.  Yes, it's risky, but take a chance.  

So they traded Griffin and have a team full of role players... now what?  They're a really bad team and what FA will want to sign there now?

Archived