Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

10 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

It's still too early to call it a record deal. A record of guarantees, on the surface, perhaps. But "guaranteed" is a very funny word in an NFL contract. You can have somewhat unguaranteed guarantees. Like, the base salary being guaranteed if he's on the roster in march 2020 might be counted as a guarantee right now, even though it's not yet guaranteed. You can make guarantees say a whole lot of things. And when these reports come out with yearly averages and record guarantees, I feel like it's always agents patting themselves in the back. It's like the old Nate Clements deal of 8yr/80m, that had the last two years voided as soon as he played a single snap, or something like that. There's just so much fluff in NFL contracts, so I think this is all about agents. Record deal in appearance only. 

Yes i agree with that. He will more than likely get the biggest deal or close to it but that could be filled with fluff contract stuff or roster stipulations. 

Just now, cddolphin said:

How long do the Jaguars have to rescind Bortles' fifth year option?

They can cut him before the start of the official season in March and save a good chunk of money.

As a side note, I wouldn't hate it if the Browns did something like this:

Browns trade a 6th rounder

Jaguars trade a 2nd rounder

AND

Blake Bortles

46 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Maybe... it's in his best interest not to pass though.

Its in his best interest to be on a team that doesnt want him there? Im guessing it wont make for a pleasant work environment. Getting cut would be good for him if thats the case. He also should fetch a good deal on the market.

14 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Its in his best interest to be on a team that doesnt want him there? Im guessing it wont make for a pleasant work environment. Getting cut would be good for him if thats the case. He also should fetch a good deal on the market.

I think I could deal with a less than pleasant work environment for 19 million lol