Doug Farrar" Redskins improved with Alex smith "

Dashing202

I'm not huge on stats . Like I said before I never consisntely saw how alex smith played . But as soon as we traded for him I saw a lot of his highlights and what the fans he played for said about him.

good character with great accuracy and plays well against good teams . 

I wanna win .. and for all we know smith is the answer . We don't need a running game we need a consistent defense . We can explode on offense but man if our D keeps giving up points it's just a killer .

5 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

I'm not huge on stats . Like I said before I never consisntely saw how alex smith played . But as soon as we traded for him I saw a lot of his highlights and what the fans he played for said about him.

good character with great accuracy and plays well against good teams . 

I wanna win .. and for all we know smith is the answer . We don't need a running game we need a consistent defense . We can explode on offense but man if our D keeps giving up points it's just a killer .

Eh, we do need a consistent running game as well as a good defense. All of the teams who go far in the playoffs have both. Until we have a consistent running game that we can especially rely on to get us TDs inside the 10 and 3rd & shorts it won’t matter who our qb is. A good defense means so much because you can’t always outscore teams as we’ve learned the last 3 years. We regularly put up around 30 points a game and struggled to get to .500 because our D couldn’t stop anyone, particularly when it mattered most in the 4th quarter.

5 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

When Cousins fails to impress in his next Gig--How do you guys like your Crow? Salt and pepper O K ? :)

No they'll just wait for smith to do awful one game and than it's 

- I hate the FO

-I hate allen

- I wish George Allen never coached us .

- alex smith is a first round bust 

- cousins is way better I rather taken him and his expensive price tag and victimized personality over anything 

- put McCoy in !

1 hour ago, Dashing202 said:

No they'll just wait for smith to do awful one game and than it's 

^ you MIGHT be right, Dashing, but think about something. 

Making threads and statements like you are above essentially turns the word MIGHT into WILL

The last thing you and others will want.. is to make things here as divisive as possible.. and that's advice for everyone here. Take it from someone who has been there, time and again. Being right or wrong on a forum over the direction of the team is NOT important. Being Redskins' fans, and everyone hoping for the best results for the team IS all that should be important. You may have different opinions on how things should be.. but are all in this together.

I know my advice wasn't asked for, and may not mean anything... but I felt compelled to say this. c0416.gif

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I like this one...

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/2/10/16993120/skins-stats-a-statistical-review-of-the-alex-smith-trade

Goes through every aspect of the trade. And also compares both QBs.

Most interesting "stats:"

Kirk Cousins with all 5 staring OL (6 games):

68% comp, 8.3 YPA, 12/3 TD/INT
107.2 passer rating

1-2 OL out (3 gm):
61%, 7.7 YPA, 5/2
92.6 passer rating

3+ OL out (7 gm!):
63%, 7.0 YPA, 10/8
83.2 passer rating

Honestly had no idea it was that much of a difference.

Washington never ranked higher than 20th in rushing yards during Cousins’ time as the starting quarterback and the team never produced a running back who recorded more than 751 rushing yards in that span. The Chargers, Colts and Lions are the only other teams that can also claim the former and the Eagles and Lions are the only clubs without a 751-plus-yard back since 2015.

Alex Smith, on the other hand, has always had the luxury of a terrific running game. Frank Gore rushed for at least 1,100 yards in three of Smith’s four qualifying years with the 49ers and either Jamaal Charles or Kareem Hunt hit the 1,000-yard mark in three of his five years in Kansas City. In fact, Charles led the NFL in touchdowns in 2013 and Hunt led the league in rushing yards last season.

The 2017 Chiefs were just the fifth team in league history with a 1,000-yard rusher (Hunt), wide receiver (Tyreek Hill) and tight end (Travis Kelce). The others were the 1981 Chargers, the 1981 Vikings, the 1997 Broncos and the 2007 Browns. The historic, Super Bowl-winning 97 Broncos squad was the only other one of those teams that saw each member of their trio (Terrell Davis, Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe) rank in the top-15 in terms of either rushing or receiving yards.

And this has been a lot of people's point all along. Smith desperately needs good players around him. More than Cousins has needed them.

The last part of that quote exemplifies Smith’s playing style. He is a conservative passer who far too often eschews riskier intermediate and deep passes in favor of short conservative throws, scrambles or taking sacks (Smith’s 7.76% career sack rate ranks 6th worst among current starting quarterbacks, Cousins’ 4.81% ranks 5th best).

And there it is. Smith is basically all the things we've complained about Cousins the last couple years.

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Sure. Love salt n pepper. Would salt n pepper be ok with you if he does? Or if Alex doesn't do well here?

I haven't touted Alex Smith. So No on that one . If Cousins stars and wins playoff game(s) then I'll have a little gravy with the crow and a fine Chianti !!

@Slateman

One thing about your comment that I'd ask you to consider is that if QBs have good pre-snap diagnosis, they can have a positive influence on the run game. 

Maybe his run games have been good also because he reads and adjusts the plays to better benefit the team? 

When you say Alex needs good players around him, you may as well be saying that 90% of all QBs need good players around them. If you are interested in going about this constructively, pick out some QBs.. what they have had around them.. and discuss what they achieve with that.

I probably addressed what Alex had, talent-wise, over the years.. and what he's done with it. Last year, he had the best around him he'd ever had... even had poor LT and miserable LG play all year, while also losing his best WR2 option. What did he do with this? He had a pretty elite year, numbers-wise across the board. 

Before that, he had much less around him, and still managed good QB play. 

Bottom line is, if the Redskins' roster is greatly lacking, then no.. Alex won't be carrying the team far. He is what he is.. and in that case, you should probably be complaining about why the team around him is weak.. just as you would complain that it's not Kirk's fault that the team around him is weak ( or injured ). 

People really need to get over the Alex Smith sucks mantra. He's no rookie anymore...

Yes, with the Niners and early in his career he was pretty bad. But that O-line for the 49ers might have been the worst in the league at that time. I mean, they were horrible. He didn't have time for nothing or to develop, they were so bad.

I believe as time has passed & he played for improved teams, allowed him to improve as a player as well.

Will he ever live up to his #1 pick status? Probably not, but his experience over the years has allowed him to find himself as a player & to use his legs to escape when necessary.

Redskins fans...

I'm not a huge Alex Smith fan at all. But even I admit, he doesn't suck. I also respect him for sticking It out over the years, when he easily could have quit the game.

He might be the absolute best "game manager" in the league right now. Maybe he's comfortable with that playing style?

But I do this! He knows how to win.

He knows how to win in big games & doesn't get overwhelmed with the situation.

He also rarely gives games away with terrible turnovers & produces like an ace inside the red zone.

I don't know if "you like that"...

but "I'll take that" over someone more interested in being wanted & getting paid.

Because Alex knows in his head, that he was the #1 pick.

He knows he's wanted in Washington.

He also knows he got paid.

Now he knows, he needs to start winning for us.

....and we know, he can take a 2-14 team & help make them a Playoff contender.

What can he do for a 7-9 team?

Cause we know the other guy, had to rally like crazy & give us "you like that" inspiration to get us to 9 wins.

I personally look forward to the Alex Smith era.

Maybe he can game manage & methodically win us a SB. Hell....just playoff appearances would be an upgrade!

Hell....maybe Alex can win us a damn season opener!!

Cause the other guy can't. Completely rips any hope we might have had, going into the season.

What he do this yr?

lol

oh that's right, instead of marching down the field for a win?

He cracked in a huge moment like he always does & was sacked, fumbled & Fletcher Cox returned the ball for the game winner.

lolol...and you guys wanted this?

Again...I'll take Alex Smith.

Archived