Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Didn’t need him. 

This will go down as another bad post draft trade for Rick Spielman, which is becoming entirely too common. Hopefully this will prove to be another nail in the coffin.

Without even using hindsight, the trade never made any sense. They didn’t gain anything from trading him, and they didn’t have anyone on the roster that was a known improvement. 

There’s no telling that Hughes would be playing this well with the Vikings, I personally don’t think Zimmer’s defense is very CB friendly. But, the talent was there, and the Vikings had very little talent in that room

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Didn’t need him. 

Not with Mac Alexander and Breeland under contract. Quite the miss here but it happens all the time, what’s different about KCs scheme? Injuries derailed a lot of his development early on but he seems to have resolved that for the time being.

• Like 1

To be fair, Mike Hughes was at the bottom of the depth chart when he was traded as he played his way down the chart due to health and poor play.  While I think they should have kept him for depth purposes, he wouldn't have had the play time here that he has had there because as bad as our CBs have been, the Chiefs aren't all that much better, if at all. 

Edited by swede700

On 12/15/2021 at 7:44 AM, SemperFeist said:

Didn’t need him. 

This will go down as another bad post draft trade for Rick Spielman, which is becoming entirely too common. Hopefully this will prove to be another nail in the coffin.

Without even using hindsight, the trade never made any sense. They didn’t gain anything from trading him, and they didn’t have anyone on the roster that was a known improvement. 

There’s no telling that Hughes would be playing this well with the Vikings, I personally don’t think Zimmer’s defense is very CB friendly. But, the talent was there, and the Vikings had very little talent in that room

Oh give me a break. Everyone. And I mean, “everyone” was ready to move on from him. This is just hindsight 20/20 bs. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Oh give me a break. Everyone. And I mean, “everyone” was ready to move on from him. This is just hindsight 20/20 bs. 

Wrong.

Maybe nobody was upset. But plenty of people questioned the move. Especially with the move only leaving Peterson and Dantzler as the teams starting corners, Gladney’s situation far from resolved, and only rumors about the team targeting Breeland at that point. Not to mention it didn’t really clear any significant cap space. 

Not to mention, who’s “everybody”? The fans? Most fans are ready to get rid of any and all players after one bad game. Obviously one decision maker (Chiefs) felt Hughes had enough value to trade for. And trading him has turned out to be a mistake. Who cares if some fans were ready to move on. It’s the general manager’s job to be better than typical fan thinking. Spielman and Zimmer failed to properly evaluate Hughes.

Edited by SemperFeist

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Wrong.

Maybe nobody was upset. But plenty of people questioned the move. Especially with the move only leaving Peterson and Dantzler as the teams starting corners, Gladney’s situation far from resolved, and only rumors about the team targeting Breeland at that point. Not to mention it didn’t really clear any significant cap space. 

Not to mention, who’s “everybody”? The fans? Most fans are ready to get rid of any and all players after one bad game. Obviously one decision maker (Chiefs) felt Hughes had enough value to trade for. And trading him has turned out to be a mistake. Who cares if some fans were ready to move on. It’s the general manager’s job to be better than typical fan thinking. Spielman and Zimmer failed to properly evaluate Hughes.

How much did injuries play a role? What about scheme? Maybe he was never going to fit in a Zimmer defense.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

How much did injuries play a role? What about scheme? Maybe he was never going to fit in a Zimmer defense.

Injuries likely played a role, but they didn’t have anything better or more sustainable on the roster. This wasn’t a case where the Vikings had a gluttony of riches at the CB spot. 

And I’m not buying that he didn’t fit Zimmer’s defense. They drafted him, and Hughes played relatively well when he was on the field. 

Like I said, nobody was particularly upset over the move, but plenty of people questioned it and questioned the timing of the move. And those questions have proven true. It was a bad move.