This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

Tidbits for consideration.....

The 2017 Eagles - who I've said were a good defense - had the 10th toughest "strength of schedule" in 2017.
The only other team in their division that was worth anything was DAL (9-7) and the two teams split their season series.

Now - all I kept hearing earlier in the year - when somebody would DARE to declare the GBPs defense was anything less than sucking royally - because of some stat or so - was "Well look at all the lousy teams they've been playing. I mean....LOOK (!)....they played THE BILLS! I mean, give me a break.....the Bills! :)

So this process of identifying a "good defense" has a certain subjective tint to it no?
Has a certain "which side of the fence do I want to be on this time" quality to it.

Fact remains - they were a good defense - not top shelf or historically stout by any means - that played lousy defense in the SB and won it.

Edited by Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Tidbits for consideration.....

The 2017 Eagles - who I've said were a good defense - had the 10th toughest "strength of schedule" in 2017.
The only other team in their division that was worth anything was DAL (9-7) and the two teams split their season series.

Now - all I kept hearing earlier in the year - when somebody would DARE to declare the GBPs defense was anything less than sucking royally - because of some stat or so - was "Well look at all the lousy teams they've been playing. I mean....LOOK (!)....they played THE BILLS! I mean, give me a break.....the Bills! :)

So this process of identifying a "good defense" has a certain subjective tint to it no?
Has a certain "which side of the fence do I want to be on this time" quality to it.

Fact remains - they were a good defense - not top shelf or historically stout by any means - that played lousy defense in the SB and won it.

Philly was a top 5 defense last year.(DVOA)

Philly netted an average of 5ppg on defense to get to the SB in the divisional and NFC championship games.

This is a terrible example if you're looking for a coutner example to the "defense wins championships" argument 😂

Just now, incognito_man said:

Philly netted an average of 5ppg on defense to get to the SB in the divisional and NFC championship games.

That's because the Eagles and Falcons both decided they wanted to play a low-scoring game and because Keenum sucked.  Had nothing to do with defense. 

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Philly was a top 5 defense last year.(DVOA)

This is a terrible example if you're looking for a coutner example to the "defense wins championships" argument 😂

I think his point is that while the Eagle defense ranked well and performed well up until the SB. In the SB they had a bad game and gave up a lot of points. So a team playing bad defense in the SB, still won the SB.

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Philly was a top 5 defense last year.(DVOA) Philly netted an average of 5ppg on defense to get to the SB in the divisional and NFC championship games. This is a terrible example if you're looking for a coutner example to the "defense wins championships" argument 😂

Again - I'm not countering or even making an argument - and the "defenses wins championships" theory I was ever addressing. 
Regardless - that standard is changing with the rules changes - as recent SBs prove.

I've said (multiple times) that Philly had a good D in 2017 - check. Statistical rankings aren't hard to understand - but what comprises (or makes them up) is in fact a subjective matter.

Regardless (again) - what I was saying is they played lousy D in the SB and won it - which was the question asked - so it can be done - check.

Case closed.
Verdict for the Plaintiff.
Bailiff, bring in the next case.
:)

Edited by Leader

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

I think his point is that while the Eagle defense ranked well and performed well up until the SB. In the SB they had a bad game and gave up a lot of points. So a team playing bad defense in the SB, still won the SB.

Thank-you. Now wasnt that easy enough?

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

I know that's what he's saying, but it's still a bad counter example because of the quality of the defense throughout the regular season and previous 2 postseason games.

Just now, Leader said:

Regardless (again) - what I was saying is they played lousy D in the SB and won it - which was the question asked - so it can be done - check.

That wasn't actually the question.  The question was the last time a bad defense won the Super Bowl.  One game does not make a defense a bad defense. 

They gave up one other 30 point game all year.  They gave up less than 25 points 15 times that year.  So 15/18 games they held teams under 25 points. 

So unless you think one game determines the quality of a defense - in which case our defense this year is the all-time greatest ever and tied with other teams throughout history since it allowed a 0 point game - you're actually wrong. 

So you're completely missing the point and acting like you're right when you're actually not.  The Eagles defense was a very good defense that played a bad game.  Even still, that defense in its worst game looks better against that Patriots team than any average to bad defense would have looked.  How many teams hold Brady under 34 points that game? 

Oh - and by the way.......

If in fact a team can play lousy D in the SB and win it.....(as has occurred).

Against the best of the best...
Against the toughest of the tough...
The hardest opponent the other Conference can possibly offer......

By extension - it has to be accepted that the same can occur in earlier games.

HA!

I hate when people act so confident that facts and history are wrong. 

Just now, squire12 said:

No team has won the super bowl without, being led by their offense, scoring more than their opponent's during the playoffs.

Actually, the 1985 Bears scored 7 points off a 5 yard punt return and allowed 0 points.  They literally win that game without their offense.

That same year, the Bears scored 7 points on a 52 yard fumble return and allowed 0 points.  They literally win that game without their offense. 

So... You're right.