This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I think they're third, too.  Just not behind the Chiefs.

The Chiefs are the exact type of team to get punched right in the mouth and not know how to respond other than stand there and bleed.  

That always happens to those offenses.  As soon as the stakes get real, they fold.  Happens all the time.

yeah, we should all be familiar with what it's like to have an offense roll through the regular season then get whipped by a team with a better defense. (2011,2014)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The Chiefs are the exact type of team to get punched right in the mouth and not know how to respond other than stand there and bleed.  

That always happens to those offenses.  As soon as the stakes get real, they fold.  Happens all the time.

The Chiefs are 4th in the AFC? Okay. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Andy Reid is also 11-13 in Playoff games. I agree that while the Chiefs are a daunting team, they come across as a team destined for an early exit in the playoffs. I would be much more worried about the Patriots and Chargers if I was an AFC team. Patriots because they always ramp up their play come playoff time, and the Chargers for all the reasons you laid out. Just a really well balanced roster with a QB who knows how to play within his system.

• Like 1

@Outpost31

I have a theory. I might run this down later. I'm very curious what round of playoffs has the lowest scoring totals. I thought of this because I agree you need a certain level of defense to get past a certain level in the playoffs.

My gut feeling tells me the postseason weeks would rank in the following order from least total points per game to most:

Championship week

Wild card week

Super Bowl

Divisional week

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

What's crazy is that in a game where there really was "no defense" there were not 1, not 2 but 3 defensive touchdowns. 

That doesn't effing mean they were playing good defense. There was over 900 yards of offense.  Maybe I misread your intent, but the defenses were a joke in this game.  Aaron Donald was a man among boys, but that was it.  The last two interceptions were HaHa like. (not due to great coverage).

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

@Outpost31

I have a theory. I might run this down later. I'm very curious what round of playoffs has the lowest scoring totals. I thought of this because I agree you need a certain level of defense to get past a certain level in the playoffs.

My gut feeling tells me the postseason weeks would rank in the following order from least total points per game to most:

Championship week

Wild card week

Super Bowl

Divisional week

I think your order is wrong.  I went through and made a thread on defense winning championships and listed the average points allowed by Super Bowl winners, and I seem to recall a LOT of high scoring Championship games, but low scoring Wild Card / Divisional games.  I could be wrong though.  I'd be interested in seeing those numbers.

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

The Chiefs are 4th in the AFC? Okay. 

As far as threats to win the Super Bowl?  Absolutely, 100%.

Mahomes is a second year, first year starting QB with an awful defense and zero playoff experience.  Don't know how you can consider them a bigger Super Bowl threat than the more experienced and better defense teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Chargers.  I'd bet against them if they played the Ravens even.

Make sure you quote me in February after laughing at me in November.

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Mahomes is a second year, first year starting QB with an awful defense and zero playoff experience.  Don't know how you can consider them a bigger Super Bowl threat than the more experienced and better defense teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Chargers.  I'd bet against them if they played the Ravens even.

Okay

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Yup. Always bet against QBs without postseason experience.

I'd struggle to pick NO v LA though, right now...

• Like 1

I just really don't understand why I'm the crazy one for referencing 50 years of Super Bowl history and trends.  History shows that experience and defense have been the single most important factors in Super Bowl success.

And as someone else said... It's Andy Reid.

22 minutes ago, Acrid Josher said:

Defense isn't provably more important that offense in the Superbowl, playoffs, or regular season.

http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/20/does-defense-really-win-championships/

This is false, and I proved it in the Defense Wins Championships thread I made.  

No team in the history of the Super Bowl has won giving up over 23 points a game in the playoffs.  Not once.  Ever.  Never.  

Edited by Outpost31