This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Was always hurt.  No where near the top of his position group when we let him go.  He's in the "Hayward" category for me.  Good players who got better once they left.

I remember him being a Top 5 C. But we had Linsley, so no room for two starting centers. Not apples to apples, but a young,  talented player who didn't get resigned. 

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

It's almost like I said they need to draft well and find the QB.  Thanks for agreeing with me but still disagreeing.....classic CWood!!!

Gotta find the argument somewhere and flaunt the moderator tag

I mean...that's the same for every franchise.  Why should Detroit be the only one that should get that caveat?

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

I never said I wanted to let Ja walk. I said we might be in the position to let him walk. People on this board have no idea what Ja's negotiating priorities are. 

Why in the world would we want to let a top 5 corner walk?  We've been fumbling the CB position since Charles Woodson/Al Harris days, and you're suggesting the Packers could let a top 5 CB walk.  Insane.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Love your optimism regarding comp picks, but IMO the only one who would get us one is MVS. Lazard is a restricted free agent, so we tender him and he comes back. Tonyan coming off ACL gets a one-year deal from us. 

King King didn't get any interest in free agency last year, he's not going to this year. Douglas might get an offer but doubt it's top 32 free agent contracts signed, which means no pick. Same for Campbell. 

Sorry to be a Grinch on Christmas. 

Douglas and Campbell are both in for nice paydays in the range of 7-10/year IMO for 3 years. Minimum. Those will be medium level deals.

Tonyan also is a factor, yes.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

The alternative is to franchise tag a guy who doesn't want to be here. This may appear viable short term, but it is bad for the locker room and it sets a bad precedent for young stars. Thus, in this situation the franchise tag is not the starting point for negotiations. 

Jalen Ramsey LAR deal is. A big market team will make him that kind of offer and some. 

Except Jalen Ramsey was traded to the Rams, and subsequently given a mega deal from them.  Does anyone truly believe that if the Packers offered Jaire Alexander a fair market deal that he'd turn it down?  He hasn't said anything about being unhappy in Green Bay.

52 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree with the first part.  We know we have to start a rebuild next season.  Get our comp picks from Campbell and Douglas in 2023 and if they hit, that goes a long way toward rebuilding a roster.  Douglas is 26, and will have 6 seasons, while Campbell is 28 and will have 7.  Hopefully we are looking at 4s for these two.  Add in Lucas Patrick, Kevin King, and Chandon Sullivan, we could be getting a pretty good comp pick haul.  We also have the mystery value, and status of Lazard, MVS, and Tonyan.  If we are really lucky, we could get all the bad out in 2022, like a sneeze, and jump right back into being competitive in 2023.

I'm like 99% sure we can't get a comp pick for Douglas since he was signed during the season.

23 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Love your optimism regarding comp picks, but IMO the only one who would get us one is MVS. Lazard is a restricted free agent, so we tender him and he comes back. Tonyan coming off ACL gets a one-year deal from us. 

King King didn't get any interest in free agency last year, he's not going to this year. Douglas might get an offer but doubt it's top 32 free agent contracts signed, which means no pick. Same for Campbell. 

Sorry to be a Grinch on Christmas. 

DeVondre Campbell and MVS are probably the only ones who might get comp picks IMO.  Aside from Davante Adams obviously.  Yosh and Lazard are RFA, and both likely are tendered.  Think someone will throw a modest contract at Tonyan, but probably questionable if it'll be a top 32 FA contract.  Douglas isn't eligible to be a compensatory pick since he was signed midseason IIRC.

7 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Douglas and Campbell are both in for nice paydays in the range of 7-10/year IMO for 3 years. Minimum. Those will be medium level deals.

Tonyan also is a factor, yes.

We shall see on Douglas and Campbell. Tonyan is going to miss at least the first six with an ACL. No certainty he's going to be the player he turned into. Also, he's not going to a team that has Rodgers and I'm sure GM's take that into consideration before paying him. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean...that's the same for every franchise.  Why should Detroit be the only one that should get that caveat?

Because Detroit knows where they are in the building/ contending process and has acquired draft pick capital vs Chicago and Minnesota are in the middle ground and very likely not trending up.  Chicago especially has less draft capital to add around what they might have.  

As I noted in initial post....in 5 years. 

On 12/24/2021 at 11:21 AM, squire12 said:

Because Detroit knows where they are in the building/ contending process and has acquired draft pick capital vs Chicago and Minnesota are in the middle ground and very likely not trending up.  Chicago especially has less draft capital to add around what they might have.  

Indeed. Coaching changes are imminent for chi & min - that often resets the rebuild clock to zero
Detroit has top 3 picks throughout 2022 draft + extra 1st from Rams + another 1st in 2023 draft.

Opportunity is knocking ( pinging?) in Motor City, hopefully they don't deliver another a Gremlin.

1973_amc_gremlin_15362147305edb25977IMG_

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Indeed. Coaching changes are imminent for chi & min - that often resets the rebuild clock to zero
Detroit has top 3 picks throughout 2022 draft + extra 1st from Rams + another 1st in 2023 draft.

Opportunity is knocking ( pinging?) in Motor City, hopefully they don't deliver another a Gremlin.

1973_amc_gremlin_15362147305edb25977IMG_

Lol, actually the Gremlin was an AMC product made in Wisconsin. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pf9 said:

For the first time in 8 years, none of our division rivals will be in the playoffs.

This is our division and always will be.

Enjoy it while you can guys. Most of you on this site have only known Favre and Rodgers as your quarterbacks. If you speak with older pack fans they’ll tell you what an abyss Green Bay was for twenty years after Starr retired. I may be wrong about love but he doesn’t seem to have it so far. As for the Vikes we deserve all the insults and ridicule so keep ‘em coming.