Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

I think complaints about the Dolan's are some degree of legit. Although they aren't lying that our attendance numbers have been bad for awhile now.

We just happen to have an excellent FO who manages to satisfy both ownership (save money) and our desire to compete most of the time.

31 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I think complaints about the Dolan's are some degree of legit. Although they aren't lying that our attendance numbers have been bad for awhile now.

We just happen to have an excellent FO who manages to satisfy both ownership (save money) and our desire to compete most of the time.

They are very frugal but the team is ran like a successful company and constantly maximizes value, operates efficiently, etc. It's a combination of timing out $$, good personnel decisions, and ignoring fans unlike the browns used to.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/baseball/indians/study-indians-are-the-least-affordable-team-in-mlb-to-support

By taking the average cost of four tickets, four drinks and four hot dogs then dividing that by the average hourly salary for the area, the study determined how many hours of work required to afford to take a family to a game. 

While the Indians don’t have the highest ticket prices or concession prices, Cleveland has the lowest median income, meaning fans have to work the most hours to afford a game, according to the study.

54 minutes ago, buno67 said:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/baseball/indians/study-indians-are-the-least-affordable-team-in-mlb-to-support

By taking the average cost of four tickets, four drinks and four hot dogs then dividing that by the average hourly salary for the area, the study determined how many hours of work required to afford to take a family to a game. 

While the Indians don’t have the highest ticket prices or concession prices, Cleveland has the lowest median income, meaning fans have to work the most hours to afford a game, according to the study.

Tickets are like $13 and you get a free drink lol I'm not sure how much lower you can go. I would also know what ticket prices they are basing this off of but I can't open the article

The problem isn't that games are not affordable (because you can even get Tix last min on StubHub for like $5) but moreso because the Indians fans that can go to games regularly don't live in the downtown metro area--they live in the suburbs 25min outside of downtown.

Cleveland doesn't have a huge downtown population to be able to fill all of those seats on a nightly basis. It takes a lot more planning to go to a game for people in the suburbs than it does for somebody who can just pop out of their condo downtown and walk there because it's easy.

If I lived downtown I would go to like 30 indians games a year just because it's so accessible and cheap to do on as lazy Tuesday night with nothing else going on

Edited by AkronsWitness

Yeah I go to like 3 games a year. If I lived closer I would go all the time. Like when I lived in Canton, I saw a few Charge games just cause it was a 4 minute drive. It's just something to do. But going to Cleveland from an hour away is a planning thing that makes it rarer. 

17 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

Yeah I go to like 3 games a year. If I lived closer I would go all the time. Like when I lived in Canton, I saw a few Charge games just cause it was a 4 minute drive. It's just something to do. But going to Cleveland from an hour away is a planning thing that makes it rarer. 

Yep. Heck, when I lived in town I was in South Euclid, I was only about a 20 minute drive from downtown and it was still something that required a little bit of planning (drive to the station, ride the RTA into Tower City, walk over the the Jake, be back at the station before the last train, etc.)

Not sure if anyone follows Jeff Ellis on Twitter but he does some solid draft work.  He's at the Akron game and says 100% a trade has happened involving one of the AA players.  

Really hoping it's not Nolan Jones.  

Edited by flyers0909

23 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Not sure if anyone follows Jeff Ellis on Twitter but he does some solid draft work.  He's at the Akron game and says 100% a trade has happened involving one of the AA players.  

Really hoping it's not Nolan Jones.  

Seems like he is walking it back now

Little disappointed in the deadline now...

I do like the Bauer move and think the lineup got significantly better but left a lot of uncertainty in regards to the bullpen. Pen has been great this year but not sold on them carrying us through a short outing from a starter in the playoffs. We have a lot of guys in Columbus ready to play and log jams at a few positions and wish we could have used some of those guys to make us stronger on the rubber.

Makes me wonder if Dolan wouldn't allow them to add any more salary....