Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just thinking, do we make Jake Bauers a utility guy or Tyler Naquin? Naquin has been playing strong.

I haven’t seen much of Puig last few years, do you make him the DH?

Puig has a rocket launcher for an arm. He’ll play in right. Reyes is DH. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

26 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I think it is safe to say that Jordan Luplow and Greg Allen are coordinating what snacks they need in the car on the trek down I-71 today.  

I would think Luplow is going to have a fighting chance to stay up here. He is raking LHP.

3 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

I would think Luplow is going to have a fighting chance to stay up here. He is raking LHP.

I agree with you, but we've got to keep Freeman up here, don't we?  Will they send Bauers down instead?  Who else can play 1B if he goes to Columbus?

Just now, Bucketheadsdad said:

I agree with you, but we've got to keep Freeman up here, don't we?  Will they send Bauers down instead?  Who else can play 1B if he goes to Columbus?

I would send Bauers down to play everyday and let Freeman and Plawecki figure out how to cover the position when Santana needs a day off for now. Certainly not ideal, but with the teams we have on the schedule in the month of August, I don't see Carlos taking many days off anyway.

• Like 1

Pretty happy with this trade. I always liked Bauer so it sucks to see him go, but it makes sense to trade him since he didn't seem willing to sign a long-term contract with us. We get two good bats that were desperately needed - Reyes seems like a good get as long as he sticks to DH. I think we'll be fine pitching wise, although it still hurts to lose a good pitcher like Bauer. We've just gotta hope Kluber comes back at a relatively high level and the rest of our pitching staff stays healthy. In the long-term, our farm system will develop more pitchers.

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Nothing to do about a contract. Just a couple weeks ago. Frankie was talking about the team and he specifically mentioned how this team truly needs a right handed bat to help even out the lefties on the team. Frankie asked for it and he got it. 

I don’t know if it’s completely a guarantee that Puig won’t be on the team next year. Maybe with the money they save from Kip and if Puig performs that they try and keep him for another year or two

I might be the only person that wants Kip to resign here. Hes been pretty good for the past month or two hitting over .300 and I feel like the indians always need to have their 'capable veterans' for the amount of young guys they always seem to have if nothing more than lockerroom purposes. 

He won't be expensive and you would essentially be paying a minimal contract for a locker room leader and his defense. Just slap him in the bottom of the lineup and call it a day

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

I would send Bauers down to play everyday and let Freeman and Plawecki figure out how to cover the position when Santana needs a day off for now. Certainly not ideal, but with the teams we have on the schedule in the month of August, I don't see Carlos taking many days off anyway.

My only thinking was that it might be a good idea to have someone a bit more fliexible (position wise) that hits from the left side of the plate, in case we need to pinch hit.  You're right, Luplow has been raking against lefthanders, but the club just brought two guys in that kind of make him redundant despite his success against LHP.  

Danny Salazar, I think, will take Bauer's spot on the roster, and if they add the young lefthander from the Padres to the MLB roster, I think AJ Cole ends up being DFA'd.  He has no options, and he seems to me to be the only option, unless they jettison Tyler Clippard.

No one has mentioned them, but the prospects we got in this deal, while not the main reason to be excited about it, are no slouches either.

Victor Nova is probably a 2nd baseman long term and, in addition to having a BA name, has hit .330/.421/.451 as a 19 year old in rookie ball this year.

Scott Moss was a 4th round pick in 2016 who has not been super impressive so far in his pro career but also hasn't been terrible. He has a career 3.33 ERA and a career 9.6 K/9. His big weakness this year has been walks (5 per 9, yikes). But that's an abnormality looking at his career numbers (had never gone above 3.5 per 9 before and averaged about 3.2). He's a possible #4/5 starter in a couple years, and we DO have a good track record of identifying undervalued minor league pitchers, fixing one issue with them, and getting value (Clevinger, Kluber, even Bauer to a degree). 

I don't love being the one to give up the best player in any deal. But Franmil is a very likely long-term starter, Puig is a good rental, Logan Allen at worst is probably a solid long reliever with the potential to be a back of the rotation arm, and both prospects have real potential. I'm honestly very surprised that we were able to leverage Bauer into this kind of haul with only 1.5 years left.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

No one has mentioned them, but the prospects we got in this deal, while not the main reason to be excited about it, are no slouches either.

Victor Nova is probably a 2nd baseman long term and, in addition to having a BA name, has hit .330/.421/.451 as a 19 year old in rookie ball this year.

Scott Moss was a 4th round pick in 2016 who has not been super impressive so far in his pro career but also hasn't been terrible. He has a career 3.33 ERA and a career 9.6 K/9. His big weakness this year has been walks (5 per 9, yikes). But that's an abnormality looking at his career numbers (had never gone above 3.5 per 9 before and averaged about 3.2). He's a possible #4/5 starter in a couple years, and we DO have a good track record of identifying undervalued minor league pitchers, fixing one issue with them, and getting value (Clevinger, Kluber, even Bauer to a degree). 

I don't love being the one to give up the best player in any deal. But Franmil is a very likely long-term starter, Puig is a good rental, Logan Allen at worst is probably a solid long reliever with the potential to be a back of the rotation arm, and both prospects have real potential. I'm honestly very surprised that we were able to leverage Bauer into this kind of haul with only 1.5 years left.

MLB.com just updated our Top 30 prospects.  

Logan Allen is now our #3 and Scott Moss is #17.  

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=cle

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Only thing I heard was how horrible Franmil is on defense and he's essentially a lifetime DH similar to current Nelson Cruz. I wonder if he can develop into a somewhat mildly capable 1B to give Santana rest.

Note: We've got at least one guy in the pipeline who seems pretty much ready to step into the big league bullpen when rosters expand in James Karinchak. Check out his numbers for this year. Small sample size because of a late start, but he has an insane 22.5 K/9 right now. Yes, that's right. On average he strikes out MORE THAN 4/5 of the batters he gets out (and almost 75% of the batters he faces).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I might be the only person that wants Kip to resign here. Hes been pretty good for the past month or two hitting over .300 and I feel like the indians always need to have their 'capable veterans' for the amount of young guys they always seem to have if nothing more than lockerroom purposes. 

He won't be expensive and you would essentially be paying a minimal contract for a locker room leader and his defense. Just slap him in the bottom of the lineup and call it a day

Kipnis OPSing .683 in July after a scorching .764 in June. He is still terrible and should probably just be a backup.

On 4/30/2019 at 7:42 AM, bigjohnson2009 said:

Like I said, echo chamber of cry babies in here.

Guess I can come back now that everyone stopped crying. This original comment stemmed from complaints about the Gomes trade, Roberto Perez, and the Dolan's not having any interest in winning smh.