Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

19 minutes ago, buno67 said:

minny is currently destroyed by injuries and White Sox have horrible coaching...

Welp good for us then! Some of these guys are really picking it up. Hernandez is a monster, Naylor's bat has been hot and Rosario is as advertised from Minny.

If those 3 can continue and prove they are consistent and join Reyes/Jose--those 5 guys together I'm the order should cause problems.

It's all about if the other random guys like Hedges, Bauer's, ECT in the lineup if they can get some contribution out of the 6-9 hitters.

Was good to see a lot of offense last game out. Our pitching has been as advertised, we just need a consistent 5 guys batting or so. Everyone has been streaky, but Naylor is having a sneaky good year, Rosario has been solid, and Cesar is finally getting more involved. There are reasons we have won so much under Tito. 

Bruceb kinda hit the nail on the head though, we should have capitalized sooner and spent just a tiny bit to help us make a couple earnest runs. With Covid wrecking last year they just kind of punted on the season and decided to do a soft rebuild. 

I still have faith they make the playoffs but that's where they top out.

Curiously enough the cheap *** Dolans team with a very low payroll are 11-4 in the past 15 games. I personally blame good coaching and a front office that does the best they can. 

Of course with spending in the front office and scouting department. 

Spending

8 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Curiously enough the cheap *** Dolans team with a very low payroll are 11-4 in the past 15 games. I personally blame good coaching and a front office that does the best they can. 

Of course with spending in the front office and scouting department. 

Spending

That’s the frustrating part for me, they’re not incompetent.  In fact, they’re quite competent.

We just have an owner who refuses to spend the money necessary to compete in any real fashion when we actually have an organization capable of putting together a championship team.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s the frustrating part for me, they’re not incompetent.  In fact, they’re quite competent.

Imagine if they ran their team year in and year out the way they did from 2016-2018. Knowing WHEN to sign big deals, knowing WHEN to trade players at the deadline or off-season, knowing WHEN to BUY at the deadline, etc.

Clearly, the Coco and Kluber trades were brilliant.

Clearly not acquiring bats was the opposite and cheap over the past 3 seasons.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Imagine if they ran their team year in and year out the way they did from 2016-2018. Knowing WHEN to sign big deals, knowing WHEN to trade players at the deadline or off-season, knowing WHEN to BUY at the deadline, etc.

They’re competitive in the regular season because they have great pitching and irrelevant in the playoffs if they actually get there because their scrubs can’t hit good pitching.  No more cleaning up against 4th and 5th guys in the rotation.

A couple legit bats would make a world of difference.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They’re competitive in the regular season because they have great pitching and irrelevant in the playoffs if they actually get there because their scrubs can’t hit good pitching.  No more cleaning up against 4th and 5th guys in the rotation.

A couple legit bats would make a world of difference.

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/run-differential

The fact that they're 9th in run differential...

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/earned-runs-against-per-game

...and 8th in earned runs against per game...

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/runs-per-game

...and 18th in runs per game

DOES actually show that they're brilliant in handling the bullpen and pitching rotation as a whole, and they've been smart in some positions to get replacement value from some guys as opposed to others.

That said, you're spot on here. I'd love to see advanced metrics against #1 and #2 starting pitchers.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

They have never spent money on bats. They would much rather develop hitters and sign 'buy low' candidates which like you said works in the RS but kills you in the playoffs against aces.

That said, the Indians HAVE to have the best coaching/development/scouting staff in baseball. The way they routinely get production out of lowest payrolls in baseball is insanity. Imagine if they just paid to be a top 20 roster in baseball and upgraded the 6-9 hitters.

Also, can somebody tell me who half of these guys are? Who is the Ramierez guy who plays CF. He has been great. Who is the Hedges guy who pitched yesterday where did he even come from? Every year they just seem to crank out production from these random players from nowhere.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll give them credit a few years ago for at least acquiring Puig and Jay Bruce to fill some spots and make a run.

True, they saw a small 1-2 year window there and really went for it. I still think we are feeling the effects of those couple seasons today and belive they play a big part in why the Indians are pulling the payroll back so far.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We just have an owner who refuses to spend the money necessary to compete in any real fashion when we actually have an organization capable of putting together a championship team.

Yep. I was just as frustrated back in the 90s when we had the exact opposite problem, great hitting and mediocre pitching. I’m still seething to this very day that we didn’t trade for Pedro Martinez. Would have won at a minimum one World Serious. Makes me even angrier if the rumored deal was Jarret Wright for him was true. 

Edited by Bonanza23
  • Like 3