Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Big kid with a lot of power. Really curious to see if we can develop him. He was comped to Kyle Tucker / Cody Bellinger.

Baseball is such a crap shoot. More than any draft. Someone in the 38th round will probably end up being the best of this draft. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Baseball is such a crap shoot. More than any draft. Someone in the 38th round will probably end up being the best of this draft. 

It’s VERY difficult to project hitters translating to wood bats. That’s a good reason so many top picks are pitchers.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s VERY difficult to project hitters translating to wood bats. That’s a good reason so many top picks are pitchers.

That's why scouts love the Cape league to scout hitters.  Its a true wood bat summer league that majority of the best college players go to.  Delauter went and tore up the Cape league.  

• Like 1

These guys did a nice job breaking down our farm system. This franchise is set up REALLY well. Johnskey Noel is a name to remember. George Valera will be starting in our outfield next year.

1. We have our superstar locked up on a very friendly contract.

2. Bullpen is set for awhile.

3. We have young developing talent already starting for us.

4. Still have an amazing front office and staff that gets the best out of guys.

5. Fantastic farm system.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/guardians/

Edited by candyman93

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

These guys did a nice job breaking down our farm system. This franchise is set up REALLY well. Johnskey Noel is a name to remember. George Valera will be starting in our outfield next year.

1. We have our superstar locked up on a very friendly contract.

2. Bullpen is set for awhile.

3. We have young developing talent already starting for us.

4. Still have an amazing front office and staff that gets the best out of guys.

5. Fantastic farm system.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/guardians/

I know its highly unlikely, but I wonder if the team decides to trade some of these prospects for Juan Soto since he is available. Is there such thing as being too young? Do we have too much young talent and not enough spots on the roster? Is consolidation of assets going to have to happen?

I dont think the team ever thought guys like Kwon and Miller were going to perform as consistent as they have. Then you take in consideration guys like Reyes, Jose, Giminez, Naylor, Straw who are going to be mainstays and the roster openings get pretty thin.

I know it comes down to $$ to pay Soto, but imagine trading 2-3 of those prospects for him and inserting him in this lineup so its not all on Jose to be that one true elite bat.

Edited by AkronsWitness

42 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I know its highly unlikely, but I wonder if the team decides to trade some of these prospects for Juan Soto since he is available. Is there such thing as being too young? Do we have too much young talent and not enough spots on the roster? Is consolidation of assets going to have to happen?

I dont think the team ever thought guys like Kwon and Miller were going to perform as consistent as they have. Then you take in consideration guys like Reyes, Jose, Giminez, Naylor, Straw who are going to be mainstays and the roster openings get pretty thin.

I know it comes down to $$ to pay Soto, but imagine trading 2-3 of those prospects for him and inserting him in this lineup so its not all on Jose to be that one true elite bat.

I think the problem is that it’s against what they philosophically do traditionally.
#1 they aren’t going to pay him and #2 they would be giving up a pretty nice prospect ransom for a rental. With us probably not being real title contenders I just don’t see us being that type of buyer. 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

The fact they ponied up 150 million or whatever for Jose was stunning, they’re not gonna commit to anyone for half a billion.

And I’m not even mad about that tbh.  He’s a good player, but the idea of paying a dude who’s 23 until he’s in his late 30’s is kinda wild.

Like, how many dudes who were good even 10 years ago are still good now?  And not really just good, but great?  

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The fact they ponied up 150 million or whatever for Jose was stunning, they’re not gonna commit to anyone for half a billion.

And I’m not even mad about that tbh.  He’s a good player, but the idea of paying a dude who’s 23 until he’s in his late 30’s is kinda wild.

Like, how many dudes who were good even 10 years ago are still good now?  And not really just good, but great?  

Yeah I think the entire league is hesitant after the Miguel Cabrera fiasco. Didnt they give him a 10+ year contract and have been likely regretting the past 5 or so years of it.

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah I think the entire league is hesitant after the Miguel Cabrera fiasco. Didnt they give him a 10+ year contract and have been likely regretting the past 5 or so years of it.

Trout is the only player who hasn’t sucked after signing 10 years. I don’t trust anyone with that length of a deal. Unless there’s some crazy incentives and possible outs in the deal. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Trout is the only player who hasn’t sucked after signing 10 years. I don’t trust anyone with that length of a deal. Unless there’s some crazy incentives and possible outs in the deal. 

I rememeber CLE taking that into account with the whole Lindor signing. They were torn on the contract details because they saw how much it crippled DET.