Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Love watching the Yankees get smoked.

Astros would have cooked us bad though. They’re a perfect team.

I hate the Yankees, but I loathe the Astros.  i know that many of the cheaters have moved on, but I'll die on the hill that everyone involved in the chating scandal should have been permanently kicked out MLB.

• 3 weeks later...

Money talks and new minority owner Blitzer is putting in 200M.  Guardians need to get their payroll to 125M arena in order to compete in my opinion.  First order of business is to extend Bieber, Gimenez, and Rosario.  My guess is 20M for 3-4 yrs plus option for Bieber.  10M for 3-4 yrs for Gimenez and Rosario with team option.  I consider these fair but team friendly deals.  Then sign Wilson Contreras to 4 yr deal plus team option at 15M per year.  Then make any trades deemed appropriate trying to get one quality starting pitcher if possible. Most MLB analysts believe the key to solid defense is strong up the middle and we could check this box.  Guardians drafted 19 pitchers in last years draft and have one of the best minor league system and players.  Go Guardians!  What do you think Cleveland should do in off season?

4 hours ago, #32 said:

Money talks and new minority owner Blitzer is putting in 200M.  Guardians need to get their payroll to 125M arena in order to compete in my opinion.  First order of business is to extend Bieber, Gimenez, and Rosario.  My guess is 20M for 3-4 yrs plus option for Bieber.  10M for 3-4 yrs for Gimenez and Rosario with team option.  I consider these fair but team friendly deals.  Then sign Wilson Contreras to 4 yr deal plus team option at 15M per year.  Then make any trades deemed appropriate trying to get one quality starting pitcher if possible. Most MLB analysts believe the key to solid defense is strong up the middle and we could check this box.  Guardians drafted 19 pitchers in last years draft and have one of the best minor league system and players.  Go Guardians!  What do you think Cleveland should do in off season?

Excellent post.Good Friday Summer GIF by Yevbel

7 hours ago, #32 said:

If they want to compete, they must do these 3 things:

1. Have a 3rd quality SP.

2. Upgrade the offense at catcher.

3. Upgrade the offense at DH.

I can live with Straw batting 9th if 2-3 happen.

On 11/10/2022 at 6:04 AM, #32 said:

Until blitzer takes majority control over the team nothing will change. dolan will pocket any extra money. Don’t get your hopes up. 

• Like 4

Actually I am more than hopeful as long as front office and Francona are managing the team.  Surely Blitzer has agreement that allows him to put money into team to increase value, revenue, and playoff potential.

We have 3 quality SP and need to trade Pleaac and Civale plus minor leaguers for up and coming left handed SP or address in FA.  It looks like lefty Pilkington deserves some starts too.

Contreras solves two problems as he is solid catcher and has power.  Bo Naylor should be adequate backup catcher and maybe occasional DH.  We have Brennan and 2-3 triple A outfielders that might make the team as fourth outfielder who can DH.

If we make these moves including proposed extensions, Guardians would be legitimate playoff contender.

• 3 weeks later...

Great trade for Bell!

Now the priority is to trade for the right catcher and there are three available with Toronto and another half dozen who will fill our need; strong defense, bats 250 with some power.

Also I believe there is a trade or two on the table.  Pittsburgh is shopping their unhappy power hitting outfielder.  We really could use a lefty starting pitcher besides Pilkington but few teams would trade a quality starting pitcher.

I believe the Dolans are on their way out and Blitzer is responsible for money and financing.