Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

I have reservations about this FO and, hence, about the Indians' prospects for sustained success. Top among them, in order of priority, are:

1. The farm system does not seem to be producing impact position players, especially in the OF. Can't think of any since Lindor and Ramirez, and they were plugged-in back in 2015; and

2. The FO seems to overestimate our talent, underestimate that of the top teams and, thus, doesn't bolster the roster sufficiently to bridge the gaps between us and them. We keep adding nice players like Martin out of necessity, while the top teams are adding top talent on top of talent, widening the gaps.

While I know that some of this is due to financial constraints, I think some of it also is due to misjudgment of our and competitors' talent and the FO's (and Francola's) loyalty to players way beyond what it should be.

Would like to see the FO develop or otherwise add impact position talent and th ink that the FO needs to lose their rose-colored glasses and nice-guy personas.

11 hours ago, bruceb said:

I have reservations about this FO and, hence, about the Indians' prospects for sustained success. Top among them, in order of priority, are:

1. The farm system does not seem to be producing impact position players, especially in the OF. Can't think of any since Lindor and Ramirez, and they were plugged-in back in 2015; and

2. The FO seems to overestimate our talent, underestimate that of the top teams and, thus, doesn't bolster the roster sufficiently to bridge the gaps between us and them. We keep adding nice players like Martin out of necessity, while the top teams are adding top talent on top of talent, widening the gaps.

While I know that some of this is due to financial constraints, I think some of it also is due to misjudgment of our and competitors' talent and the FO's (and Francola's) loyalty to players way beyond what it should be.

Would like to see the FO develop or otherwise add impact position talent and th ink that the FO needs to lose their rose-colored glasses and nice-guy personas.

I think it’s just hard to find legit OF and develop them. Indians had two prospects that everyone loved in the scouting world in Frazier and Zimmer and both have been disappointing. Zimmer just can’t stay healthy. 

Its hard to add top talent year after the year in the market the Indians play in. It’s the nature of the beast. Indians usually can only have a big offseason every few years. Edwin was like that for the Indians 2 years go. Their next big offseason will be next year when Edwin and Kip’s contract is off the books. 

Truly the Indians biggest issue is just needing to stay healthy. Health cost the Indians the title in ‘16. Miller has been a non factored in ‘17-‘18. When Chisenhall looked good he had the damn calf issues. Indians get a legit OF in Martin, dude catches a deadly virus. Zimmer can’t stay healthy to properly develop. Brantley and Kip were non-factors in ‘16-‘17. Brantley bounced back in ‘18, hopefully Kip in ‘19. Indians have lost a legit starter for a long stretch of time due to injury. 

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

I think it’s just hard to find legit OF and develop them. Indians had two prospects that everyone loved in the scouting world in Frazier and Zimmer and both have been disappointing. Zimmer just can’t stay healthy. 

Its hard to add top talent year after the year in the market the Indians play in. It’s the nature of the beast. Indians usually can only have a big offseason every few years. Edwin was like that for the Indians 2 years go. Their next big offseason will be next year when Edwin and Kip’s contract is off the books. 

Truly the Indians biggest issue is just needing to stay healthy. Health cost the Indians the title in ‘16. Miller has been a non factored in ‘17-‘18. When Chisenhall looked good he had the damn calf issues. Indians get a legit OF in Martin, dude catches a deadly virus. Zimmer can’t stay healthy to properly develop. Brantley and Kip were non-factors in ‘16-‘17. Brantley bounced back in ‘18, hopefully Kip in ‘19. Indians have lost a legit starter for a long stretch of time due to injury. 

That and the dolans are cheap af. 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

As much as it pains me to say it, our reprehensible attendance isn’t exactly giving the already super cheap Dolans any reasons to spend money on talent.

but the amazing viewership does tho. I think the indians have one of the best watched market teams. Hence why the Indians were able to get so muchmoney from STO to air the games

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

So when do we lose Lindor?

in a few years but they might break the bank for him. Its just Indians can go out and sign a guy like JD martinez like Boston was able too. They were one of the few teams willing to give him the deal he got.

47 minutes ago, buno67 said:

in a few years but they might break the bank for him. Its just Indians can go out and sign a guy like JD martinez like Boston was able too. They were one of the few teams willing to give him the deal he got.

London already turned down $100M. We will see if Dolan is interested in keeping him soon.