Malcolm Butler situation

GSUeagles14

17 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Oh my bad, 1 Corner played well, the rest sucked and they had no pass rush.

Flowers and Harrison were successful in flushing Foles from the pocket on a few occasions, but he made plays anyway. Really can't overstate how impressive Foles was yesterday.

There was something going on.  Maybe it was just the illness and he still wasn't close to 100%.  Maybe it was some sort of serious disciplinary issue.  Bottom line is Belichick would not have sabotaged the Super Bowl out of spite.  If he felt like Butler was a playable option, he would've put him in.  He's more than earned the benefit of the doubt on this one and the second guessing is silly. 

Butler played poorly this year and overall the defense was filled with scrubs.  People can criticize Belichick for giving up 41 points in the Super Bowl, but take a step back and look at how ****ty the starting 11 was by the end of the season from injuries and the like, and you have to respect how far Bill & co. took this team. 

57 minutes ago, Starless said:

Flowers and Harrison were successful in flushing Foles from the pocket on a few occasions, but he made plays anyway. Really can't overstate how impressive Foles was yesterday.

Yeah we never hit Foles but we got damn close over and over again.  I think it really comes down to... 

- Horrible coverage... which Butler would not have single handedly fixed... just bad x's and o's, bad execution, not a talented enough group

- No interior pass rush which allowed Foles to step up

- Deatrich wise being a non factor due to his injury this week

- Foles played a great game and the Eagles scheme worked perfectly 

A healthy Butler, playing at his best, could've made a big impact.  But if Bill thoughts that what he had he would've been on the field. 

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Um, Gilmore played an excellent game.  Not sure what you're talking about.

Gilmore played well. The issue is less that Rowe played. It's more that you had guys like Bademosi out there and people were in different assignments than they should have been. If it was Butler/Gilmore/Rowe with Chung and McCourty the secondary would be a bit tighter

Belichick might be the one coach in the NFL who could pull a stunt like this and not have to answer for it with ownership. He's earned that right with all the rings he's won.

But has all that winning and ego gotten to his head? Could result in an inflated ego and a 'My way or the highway' approach.

This is going to be a crazy theory but hear me out. What if belicheck or someone saw Butler with a PED and instead of being ridiculed and being labeled a cheater if they had won, they avoided the whole situation by not letting him play. Sounds farfetched but I like to think this is in play.

8 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

This is going to be a crazy theory but hear me out. What if belicheck or someone saw Butler with a PED and instead of being ridiculed and being labeled a cheater if they had won, they avoided the whole situation by not letting him play. Sounds farfetched but I like to think this is in play.

nah

18 hours ago, lancerman said:

Because maybe he thought he could go and Belichick watched him in practice and felt he was a liability even though he could play.

Like I can’t claim to know exactly what the issue was. But there’s one thing that makes sense that completely lines up with the one thing about Butler we actually know. And then there’s out of nowhere theories about it

This decision was made on game day or rather Rowe and Butler did not know until before kickoff. So you’re saying Belichick saw him warm up and along with the prep throughout the week he saw something and was like nahhhh he ain’t playing? 

6 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

This decision was made on game day or rather Rowe and Butler did not know until before kickoff. So you’re saying Belichick saw him warm up and along with the prep throughout the week he saw something and was like nahhhh he ain’t playing? 

I don't know. I'm saying maybe Butler was the preferred choice and it's possible that Belichick didn't like what he saw in practice and finally right before the game thought "maybe I'm hurting the team putting someone out there not ready to play just because he's a starter". 

It's also possible it's something completely different as well. 

3 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

But like Browner said, what if that was Chung, Gilmore, McCourty, Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, etc?

That doesn't matter. He benched Welker for being funny.  If Butler isn't going to respect his responsibility, then good, the Patriots have built a culture around accountability. I think he would have certainly helped but ultimately, the Patriots still lose. They need linebackers. 

Archived