What Should Eagles do with Nick Foles

JayWood2010

16 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

He could just as easily sign a big deal and be woefully inconsistent as he has been most of his career.

Agreed. He's a middling QB in the NFL. But he has a fit. His best spot is a premium backup or bridge QB. But he's been seen to have bursts of tremendous play. Something that shouldn't be ignored. 

Just now, Jroc04 said:

Agreed. He's a middling QB in the NFL. But he has a fit. His best spot is a premium backup or bridge QB. But he's been seen to have bursts of tremendous play. Something that shouldn't be ignored. 

Right, and as a team you have to give up picks + sign him to an extremely lucrative deal.  It is obvious why the market isn't swooning over him.

Unless you're absolutely confident that Foles can be starter for the next 4-5 years, you are probably better off just waiting until this season is over and then you can sign him as a FA.

Some teams are clearly alright with being mediocre. If there's a QB out there who can win the Super Bowl in the right environment (which is saying more than the vast majority of QBs) and you're serious about winning, you trade for him and replicate that environment instead of settling for garbage that'll NEVER win a Super Bowl in ANY environment like Cousins, Bradford, or Keenum.

28 minutes ago, Phire said:

Some teams are clearly alright with being mediocre. If there's a QB out there who can win the Super Bowl in the right environment (which is saying more than the vast majority of QBs) and you're serious about winning, you trade for him and replicate that environment instead of settling for garbage that'll NEVER win a Super Bowl in ANY environment like Cousins, Bradford, or Keenum.

There are plenty of QBs that could win "in the right environment" (read: playing with an elite team).  Case Keenum is basically a prime example of that until he ran into the buzz saw that was the 2017 Eagles and I agree, he's not good.  And you know who else would fit that lazy narrative? Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, etc. Kirk Cousins is already drastically better than every single one of those guys. 

You make it sound like replicating the environment is easy to do, which is comical.  Especially when you have to trade half your draft for a generally average QB like Nick Foles and then pay him $20MM+.

44 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Right, and as a team you have to give up picks + sign him to an extremely lucrative deal.  It is obvious why the market isn't swooning over him.

Unless you're absolutely confident that Foles can be starter for the next 4-5 years, you are probably better off just waiting until this season is over and then you can sign him as a FA.

As a GM, I'd completely agree. As a coach, the time is now. No coach, outside of a handful, can have a mulligan year. I think, the more football I watch, that systems tend to make the player. Acquiring Foles was an entire better option than what a lot of teams have or went with. Football is a year to year league. There's so much parody that usually only a few games make or break your year. I don't think there's any time to wait for a possible FA. And even when he's free, there's no guarantee you get him. I think Howie was asking too much, whether that was by design or not. And that's probably what scared teams off. It's like a make me move price for a house. You don't necessarily want to move but at a certain price, you would. A conditional 2019 1st would have got it done I think. But as we've said, it's probably hard to find an adequate team. Either most teams are bad and content with a restart/drafting (Jets/Bills) or they have a competent QB worth continuing with (Jax/Denver/AZ). I think this is another Bradford deal. He'll stay until someone is desperate enough to meet the make me move demands. 

Let's be real here. How many of you would prefer a 2019 1st Rd pick over having Zero chance this year at back to back SB if Wentz goes down again?

Yes I'm saying 0.001% chance at a SB Title with Nate Sudfeld as the starter in 2018.

I like this feeling, so I'm fine keeping Foles and treating him as if we only "Break In Case of Emergency"!

I think everyone understands without a proven backup there is 0 chance to repeat, its just this team needs to replenish the cupboard with some new stuff . 

We lost: 

Allen/ Blount/ Burton/ Curry / Robinson / Smith (2)

We signed:

Bennett/ Ngati/ Wallace  

A lot of guys are getting older, for the first time since 04 we played a meaningful game Feb. The draft is what a lot of fans get excited for.  

I'm content with having Nicky as the backup. I think we'll have to either trade some other pieces Kendricks/Darby in order to attain those coveted draft picks. Or move back from 32, maybe the Colts want to move back into the 1st (37/49). 

If I was Nick Foles, I'd get my name legally changed to "Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles"

That is just the ultimate boss move. I'd just flash my driver's license everywhere.

Or at a restaurant. "Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles, party of 4. Your table is now available."

44 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If I was Nick Foles, I'd get my name legally changed to "Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles"

That is just the ultimate boss move. I'd just flash my driver's license everywhere.

Or at a restaurant. "Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles, party of 4. Your table is now available."

He already changed it once to "Nine Inch"

On 3/26/2018 at 11:46 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Let's be real here. How many of you would prefer a 2019 1st Rd pick over having Zero chance this year at back to back SB if Wentz goes down again?

Yes I'm saying 0.001% chance at a SB Title with Nate Sudfeld as the starter in 2018.

I like this feeling, so I'm fine keeping Foles and treating him as if we only "Break In Case of Emergency"!

Dougie has said a few times that he values the back-up QB spot as a top 10-12 position on his team. By that logic, he would deal or cut another position before he would Foles.

Doug seems to have kept his word, however, doesn’t every player have their price tag in a trade? I feel if a team had, or eventually does, offer a 1st and more for Foles, he might get dealt. 

But for the time being, I’m fine with him staying.

2 hours ago, 808 said:
On 3/26/2018 at 2:46 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Dougie has said a few times that he values the back-up QB spot as a top 10-12 position on his team. By that logic, he would deal or cut another position before he would Foles.

Doug seems to have kept his word, however, doesn’t every player have their price tag in a trade? I feel if a team had, or eventually does, offer a 1st and more for Foles, he might get dealt. 

Oh don't get me wrong, Nick has a price tag too. But until it's met there's no hurry to deal him. Especially a player who just proved "He" was capable of winning a SB.

We assume the same of Wentz because he is more gifted, but it's still an unknown. As will be his health throughout the season.

If anything last season proved even more how important a legit #2 QB is to a Team!

Rodgers......Hundley

Wentz..........Foles✓

I'm perfectly ok with the Birds keeping Foles as a backup. Pederson has been going on and on about how Wentz is ahead of schedule, but I still think that they should rest him the first few weeks until he's fully healthy. The guy has the potential to be an elite player for 10-15 years - no need to rush him back and potentially harm him further. Give Nicky Nine Inch the reigns for the first couple of weeks, he's proven he can handle the team for a short stretch.

16 hours ago, 808 said:

Of course DougieP believes that...that was his life as a player. 

Archived