What Should Eagles do with Nick Foles

JayWood2010

So maybe it's because I've been busy this last week getting ready to leave for Denver but I had no idea until just now when i saw the video on Twitter where Foles asks Pederson if they can run the Philly Special.

WHAT. A. MOTHEREFFING. BOSS.

And Pederson's response is why he will be the GOAT some day

*smirks*

"Yeah let's do it"

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

The Jags make the most sense for both parties. They can afford to trade a 1st, have the cap space, and are in the AFC. They are the best team to take Foles. 

Whoever gives the most makes the most sense.

That is not determined by the Eagles.

Ergo, it is the team that (A) believes Foles is the best option and (B) has the most to offer.

In my un-humble estimation, that is the Arizona Cardinals.

He's the best they can get for what they will want to do at the lowest price.

Despite the fact there were so many RPO's this year, Foles throws a good deep ball, particularly along the sideline.  He has an awesome trajectory over the DB's.

Also, when running an RPO, he has David Johnson to keep defenses honest.

With all of the speed of Brown, Brown and Arrington (the WR corps, not the law firm) defenses will be hard pressed to keep eight in the box.

I think they should add ... and call me crazy ... Mike Wallace to the mix.  He's experienced, cheap, fast and would pair well with Foles.

That would give them another year to address WR.

Speaking of cheap, Foles wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

As the draft moves closer, QB's will move up.  Allen, Rosen and Darnold will all probably go top five.  Mayfield should go soon after.

Look at what the Rams, Eagles and Bears paid in recent years.  I don't think Arizona can part with a 2019 1st.

Conversely, I think Foles could be had in a deal that goes as follows (or something similar):

Arizona gets:  Foles, 4th (NE), 5th (SEA)

Philadelphia gets:  2nd, 3rd, 7th

The Cardinals only drop one aggregate pick and the equivalent value is the 33rd/34th pick overall for Foles.

The Eagles, meanwhile, restock their draft to a pick in each round.

I don't think the Cardinals can win anything with a rookie or a Sam Bradford, Blaine Gabbert or AJ McCarron.  Hell, the Browns wanted McCarron.  He must stink.  :-)

But seriously, given the likely price and the fit into a vertical offense Foles seems like the best option.

The Cardinals would still retain a 1st round pick, a 4th, 5th (2), 6th and 7th (probably).  That does not include any compensatory measures.

As for the Eagles keeping Foles it would be for one season and then he'd be gone for a compensatory 3.

The Eagles need to get what they can now.

Nick Foles is at his bitcoin apex.  Cash in or be the team who tries to win every year without adapting.

Personally, if he wants to finish his contract here in case wentz isn't ready, perfect. If he's fine getting traded to the highest bidder, also great. If he wants to walk and find a team, fine by me.

Dude brought the Eagles a championship and never once seemed like anything other than a perfect teammate. He's earned a heavy say in my book.

I've said all along Foles is a top 30 QB in this league. He should be starting. But it doesn't seem like he wants to. I don't think he's looking forward to dealing with a new HC, OC and playbook. Especially if the offense doesn't suit him. It would just be another St. Louis catastrophe. I think if he had his way, he'd stay here and backup Carson. 

With that said, as a business you sell him to the highest bidder. Maybe Howie has a heart to heart with him and honestly asks what he wants or needs and maybe even Howie owes that to him, but if a team bowls you over, you have to move him. Hell, maybe Nick says to Howie it's the Eagles for a few more years or I'm retiring so he's not traded. But there are teams that are going to want him. Just another master stroke from Howie. But moving him would be intriguing. I would love to grab a 2nd or so for him but it's got to be worth it. And by the way, I like what I saw out of Sudfeld. I think he's got starters potential. So, losing Nick isn't a big deal I don't think. 

Archived