What Should Eagles do with Nick Foles

JayWood2010

18 minutes ago, oland11 said:

I keep listening to all these knuckleheads on 94WIP about what we should do with Foleswalker. After listening to enough knuckleheads (such as Angelo Cataldi) and a few smart people I’ve made my opinion on this matter. 

If there is enough interest in Foles that warrants a trade, let him decide who he’s going to, ya know? If we don’t get back what we would like we keep him until Wentz is healthy and potentially trade him before the trade deadline or we just keep him until his contract is up. 

I think some of the value of trading him is the cap space that opens up. We have to remember that as a team hugged up against the cap currently. 

But without that, I honestly don't think you have to consider his feelings on the matter. As cold as that sounds, I think you have to give him to the highest bidder. Now, I don't suggest moving him for any less than a 2nd. So, we have to capitalize on his value without settling on any offer. I mean multiple offers of the same value then I guess you could ask his opinion to but I very much doubt there's any discussion with him. So, bottom line, if Howie gets the compensation he's looking for, he'll be traded. 

1 hour ago, 808 said:

I think he ends up staying. Don’t think any GM will offer what it will take for Howie to pull to the trigger. 

I don´t agree. Teams do overpay for QBs every year. It takes only one team.

I don´t know if it´s before the draft or just before the trade deadline but I am 99% sure he will be traded.

Just now, AustrianEagle said:

I don´t agree. Teams do overpay for QBs every year. It takes only one team.

I don´t know if it´s before the draft or just before the trade deadline but I am 99% sure he will be traded.

Yeah the odds are in favor of Foles getting moved, but I just personally feel it’s far from a guarantee. 

However, I’ll be happy to welcome another generous haul when the day arrives. We do have a history of trading QBs for respectable hauls. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/2/27/17057996/mike-mayock-eagles-2018-nfl-draft-high-praise-howie-roseman-philadelphia-combine-conference-call

Good article about that #32 overall pick, I think it goes hand in hand with Foles.

Foles ok with it - stay put (depending who's on the board) 

Foles reluctant to play elsewhere - trade down 

Last few drafted at the end of 1st. 

2017 - OT Ryan Ramczyk (Saints trade Brandin Cooks to Patriots)

2016 - German Ifedi (Seahawks trade up via Broncos) [NOTE: There were only 31 picks in the first round this year since the Patriots got their pick taken away due to DeflateGate]

2015 - DT Malcom Brown

2014 - QB Teddy Bridgewater (Vikings trade up via Seahawks)

2013 - S Matt Elam

2012 - RB David Wilson

2011 - OT Derek Sharrod — FIFTH-YEAR OPTIONS STARTED

On one hand the Eagles need to prepare long term, not just short term.  Nick Foles played well in two games, but also played poor the other 3-4 games he played.  We all know Nick Foles is a streaky player, but none the less the Minnesota and New England game was a work of art.  Because his 3-4 games he played poorly, i am not convinced that the league is convinced in Nick Foles, therefor the price may not be as high as people are speculating.

Carson Wentz is injured, and he is the future of the eagles.  With that said, the most concerning thing right now is what will Carson look like when he returns.  This is what scares me the most.  Right now somebody said that Carson may have to play with a brace for the rest of his career.  His injury is significant.  I think he will be fine, but it is still an uncertainty.  We know Nick has potential in Philly, but by keeping Nick you are also putting pressure on Carson.  While I know Carson is a team player, the fans of Philadelphia can be incredibly harsh and come to snap decisions.

There is a good chance that Carson may struggle at first coming back from injury.  He also may not be able to play until around week 6.  If Nick Foles goes lets say 5-1, and then Carson loses a few, people could turn on Carson.  I believe that ACL injuries often takes a year just to get back to the player they use to be, and with Carson his mobility is important as he loves to extend plays.

I just think there is a lot to think about in this situtation.  I believe in Carson, and I think he will continue to be an Elite player, but for the year of 2018 he will be going through his toughest challenge as a player.  Nick Foles on the other hand may only make it harder, but because the Eagles are in their superbowl window, it may also be important to keep Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived