2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

53 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well age will naturally change a person. I'm just saying he didn't strive to be like Brett because they were together. I don't think these young players are heavily influenced by other players in their locker room anymore that you or I would change our habits to be like our coworkers.

I agree with what you are saying, but you also can't then state that Montravius Adams should plant himself next to Mike Daniels and hope some things rub off on Adams.  If you want it to work for the good attributes, you have to think that it can happen with the bad stuff as well.  

1 minute ago, moretti19 said:

Since we are on the topic of trading, would anyone be willing to send a 5th round compensation for Eli Apple?

Yes.

I would go up as high as a 3rd for him.

The physical tools are there, might need a change of scenery for him to get back on a good track.

3 minutes ago, moretti19 said:
15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yes.

I would go up as high as a 3rd for him.

The physical tools are there, might need a change of scenery for him to get back on a good track.

Do you think it take a 3rd? Some articles sound like a 7th would do.

No idea, I would to that high if needed.    But the physical tools are enticing.  Not sure what all went on in NYG last year.  Seems like things got pretty toxic with the losing streak and no real leadership from coaching to Eli, etc.  

I don't think you would find that level of CB in the late part of the 3rd.

2 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

@Jakuvious do you have anything to add in this conversation? Your opinions among the KC forum are the ones I respect most and I can’t remember where you stand on Peters or if you’d made your opinion clear. Would appreciate your input. 

Not sure which part exactly you want my opinion on, so I'll cover a range of things from skimming the past two pages.

First of all, and I can't make this clear enough to anyone on this forum, my opinion is that Peters won't be traded. This all started with one speculative article, and then exploded with a tweet or two from La Canfora. There's not really any evidence there. That said, I am of the belief that almost every player is always on the trading block, provided the right compensation, but that compensation would be HIGH. I see murmurs of if he'd be worth #14 to you guys. The cost would be higher than that. For the same reasons I doubt we trade him. Eliteish player, rookie deal, high value position, etc.

On the whole personality thing, he is a hot head, unquestionably. He is an incredibly emotional player, and it can be a detriment at times. But the frequency of that gets overblown a bit, honestly. He's had 5 career penalties outside of the whistle. 1 taunting, 4 unsportsmanlike. Which is high, but also uncommon enough to not actually have that substantial of an impact. His issue is clearly competitiveness. He gets far too hot too quickly when something he believes is unfair goes against him/the team. Normally his after the whistle penalties follow between the whistle penalties called on his teammates, that he disagrees with. There's somewhat of a consensus that not having Berry back behind him hurt this year in terms of maturity. Berry is a leader in every sense, and Peters definitely needed that when he came into the league. Seems to still need it.

On the suspension and him leaving the field, it's not nearly as bad as some here have described it. He threw the ref's flag, which was completely moronic. He left the field not because he quit, but because he thought he was ejected. When he was informed he wasn't, he came back on. He still had cleats, he was just partway through getting out of uniform, so he returned without socks, IIRC. Peters missed one play during that whole situation, but by the time he was back out the defense never saw another snap. And while I don't want to justify Peters's reaction, I can sympathize. The defense stopped the Jets 3 times on that drive only to have it extended by penalties. They had 1st and goal from the 10, and ran 10 plays before getting the TD, followed by failing the 2 point, but getting to retry due to another penalty. So it was....frustrating. But Peters didn't quit on the team. He was pissed at the refs and misunderstood the punishment. Reid then made the call to suspend him as a message to calm down. Which by all accounts worked, as he was stellar after that point.

As far as the quality of player, he's fantastic. Clutch in a way that defies probability. He's excellent at keeping track of more than just his responsibility. So many of his picks come from him peeling off his assignment at the point of the throw because he read the route combo and/or QB. He's a good tackler when he wants to be, which is about 75% of the time. Versatile enough to play man and zone. I do think have a good leadership figure near him is good. Him being on his rookie deal still makes his value phenomenal for two years.

12 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Not sure which part exactly you want my opinion on, so I'll cover a range of things from skimming the past two pages.

First of all, and I can't make this clear enough to anyone on this forum, my opinion is that Peters won't be traded. This all started with one speculative article, and then exploded with a tweet or two from La Canfora. There's not really any evidence there. That said, I am of the belief that almost every player is always on the trading block, provided the right compensation, but that compensation would be HIGH. I see murmurs of if he'd be worth #14 to you guys. The cost would be higher than that. For the same reasons I doubt we trade him. Eliteish player, rookie deal, high value position, etc.

On the whole personality thing, he is a hot head, unquestionably. He is an incredibly emotional player, and it can be a detriment at times. But the frequency of that gets overblown a bit, honestly. He's had 5 career penalties outside of the whistle. 1 taunting, 4 unsportsmanlike. Which is high, but also uncommon enough to not actually have that substantial of an impact. His issue is clearly competitiveness. He gets far too hot too quickly when something he believes is unfair goes against him/the team. Normally his after the whistle penalties follow between the whistle penalties called on his teammates, that he disagrees with. There's somewhat of a consensus that not having Berry back behind him hurt this year in terms of maturity. Berry is a leader in every sense, and Peters definitely needed that when he came into the league. Seems to still need it.

On the suspension and him leaving the field, it's not nearly as bad as some here have described it. He threw the ref's flag, which was completely moronic. He left the field not because he quit, but because he thought he was ejected. When he was informed he wasn't, he came back on. He still had cleats, he was just partway through getting out of uniform, so he returned without socks, IIRC. Peters missed one play during that whole situation, but by the time he was back out the defense never saw another snap. And while I don't want to justify Peters's reaction, I can sympathize. The defense stopped the Jets 3 times on that drive only to have it extended by penalties. They had 1st and goal from the 10, and ran 10 plays before getting the TD, followed by failing the 2 point, but getting to retry due to another penalty. So it was....frustrating. But Peters didn't quit on the team. He was pissed at the refs and misunderstood the punishment. Reid then made the call to suspend him as a message to calm down. Which by all accounts worked, as he was stellar after that point.

As far as the quality of player, he's fantastic. Clutch in a way that defies probability. He's excellent at keeping track of more than just his responsibility. So many of his picks come from him peeling off his assignment at the point of the throw because he read the route combo and/or QB. He's a good tackler when he wants to be, which is about 75% of the time. Versatile enough to play man and zone. I do think have a good leadership figure near him is good. Him being on his rookie deal still makes his value phenomenal for two years.

Great post.

Anything we can do as Packers fans to make sure he hits the block? Start rumors he hates Reid's mustache? Steal Andy's personal BBQ stash and frame Marcus? Hack his Twitter to make fun of Travis Kelce's dance moves? There's gotta be something.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Great post.

Anything we can do as Packers fans to make sure he hits the block? Start rumors he hates Reid's mustache? Steal Andy's personal BBQ stash and frame Marcus? Hack his Twitter to make fun of Travis Kelce's dance moves? There's gotta be something.

Convince Eric Berry that Marcus Peters is actually a horse in disguise. Berry don't mess with horses.

You folks would really consider #14 for Marcus Peters? Eeesh. 

Our second I'd be okay with, but #14..... He's a total stud, was the guy I wanted the most in that draft. But Draft picks are GOLD. 

Edit: After thinking about this some more... hes arguably a top 5 corner in the league now and really young. I get it.

2 hours ago, tredpack said:

You folks would really consider #14 for Marcus Peters? Eeesh. 

Our second I'd be okay with, but #14..... He's a total stud, was the guy I wanted the most in that draft. But Draft picks are GOLD. 

Edit: After thinking about this some more... hes arguably a top 5 corner in the league now and really young. I get it.

There's like a 10% chance we draft someone as good as him or better at 14 and even that's being optimistic. if he's open to staying long term, 100% trade our 1st and 3rd for him iyam. but i make bad decisions on a daily basis as well, so w/e. 

It’s possible some team will give up the ranch (way too much) to coax KC into trading Peters away, but I highly doubt GB would give up an obscene amount of picks and players to do it.  As it stands, IMHO, I think there’s about a 98% chance that Peters stays put.

4 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Peters is better then any corner on our roster. He is better then any corner we could draft at 14.

I love me some Peters but just to act as the devil's advocate, we also have to weigh in that we could get a pass rusher at 14. If we trade it away we can't address that until the 2nd round where there's little chance to find a stud.

Which is better, Peters + a 2nd round pass rusher or Landry/Davenport (on the cheap for 5 years) + a 2nd round corner?

Archived