2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I can't wait to see who gets cut around the league in the next few weeks. 

I'm with you - it's about to get really interesting again for a while.  Good thing too - we were starting to run low of crap to discuss, LOL.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

I'm with you - it's about to get really interesting again for a while.  Good thing too - we were starting to run low of crap to discuss, LOL.

I know. This week has already been torture. The next two days are like waiting for Christmas

4 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Jahri is the only one I remember. 

When was Jeff Saturday signed?

Jeff Saturday was signed on March 23, 2012 so about a month before the draft.  Good guess though (he wasn't signed in the first week of the draft).

Just now, Kepler said:

I know. This week has already been torture. The next two days are like waiting for Christmas

The draft is literally one of my favorite NFL events.  I'm close enough to Texas that I wish I'd have planned ahead and attended this year's.  Didn't think about it in time!

13 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Good question - do the Packers normally sign someone the day before the draft?  Not sure - just wondering actually.

Haha yeah I was just joking since we did it last year is all

@CWood21 now I see why you locked the old draft discussion thread:

On 2/12/2018 at 4:12 PM, skibrett15 said:

It's just the money.

Why would they be the 4th corner anyway?  If we sign someone before the draft, they would slot in as the #1/#2 outside corner.  You could say that's the #2/#3 corner behind Randall and maybe King... but the vet who signs is gonna play outside and therefore make outside corner money.

Or is the conversation about signing house AND another corner?

The argument was made that the Packers should bring in TWO veteran corners, not just one.  So let's say Davon House and Trumaine Johnson.  Would Davon House re-sign with Green Bay knowing that he's most likely the 4th CB moving forward?  Trumaine Johnson is one of the starting boundary corners, and until the Packers go into the nickel Damarious Randall is probably the other boundary corner.  So it's essentially coming down to Kevin King and Davon House for that nickel corner.  Given the investment the Packers made in King, he figures to be in the long-term plans which gives the Packers more incentive to play him.

Anyway, the point made that Davon wouldn't re-sign as 4th corner was well made, but now he is exactly that with Williams and King and Alexander on board.

So was his market just way too soft (he took the minimum).  I guess you can make the case that he could beat out Tramon, but Tramon is making a LOT more money than House.

32 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:
Anyway, the point made that Davon wouldn't re-sign as 4th corner was well made, but now he is exactly that with Williams and King and Alexander on board.

So was his market just way too soft (he took the minimum).  I guess you can make the case that he could beat out Tramon, but Tramon is making a LOT more money than House.

A. His market was soft.

B. He couldnt know the GBPs future draft plans.

C. He'll have to compete for his spot - or be back on the market looking to find a niche with another team.

So, unless he was considering multiple offers (highly unlikely) and decided to sign with GB, I dont see a downside to his decision - other than the team is refortifying the position and making his roster spot a harder get. But - thats what competition is all about. Competition and (potential) injuries.

Just now, Leader said:

A. His market was soft.

B. He couldnt know the GBPs future draft plans.

C. He'll have to compete for his spot - or be back on the market looking to find a niche with another team.

So, unless he was considering multiple offers (highly unlikely) and decided to sign with GB, I dont see a downside to his decision - other than the team is refortifying the position and making his roster spot a harder get. But - thats what competition is all about. Competition and (potential) injuries.

All true.

Might have been right before you joined here, but there was a lot of pushback on here from some (CWood) that the packers might go out and sign 2 corners.  From their perspective, House would be dumb to sign here where he's the 4th corner, assuming we go out and get a high priced FA corner as well.  After the Randall trade, that thinking became less strong.

In the end I think we got House, who I consider a viable 3rd corner, at a 4th/5th corner price.  We got Tramon Williams, who I consider a viable 3rd corner, at a 2nd corner/expensive 3rd corner price.  So, in the end it's a bit of a wash with our corner situation.

Now, with Alexander on board, all of it is a bit moot.  We have King and we have Alexander, and the rest will sort itself out.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Now, with Alexander on board, all of it is a bit moot.  We have King and we have Alexander, and the rest will sort itself out.

Correct.

In fact - I wouldnt mind the team picking up some more CB talent.

Basically - I want this "CB issue" to get killed off for awhile. I'm tired of needing to snag more and more CB's with top draft picks.

Archived