2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

21 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

I beg to differ on this. Biegel was better and more consistent at Wisconsin than Watt outside of 2016. In that year Biegel was constantly doubled teamed, leaving Watt one on one and he made the most of it with some flash plays. Watt tested elite athletically and has the name but he was not a better player than Biegel at Wisconsin. He was a projection pick based on his athletic traits. 

Biegel played solid in the few games he actually played. If he can stay healthy he is solid depth at the position. 

I really hope you’re right.  Watt had a great rookie season and Biegel was riding pine.  Hope he’s not injury prone like Perry and Matthews - that position groups has been snakebit recently.

37 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I really hope you’re right.  Watt had a great rookie season and Biegel was riding pine.  Hope he’s not injury prone like Perry and Matthews - that position groups has been snakebit recently.

"Riding pine" is a little harsh for a guy that had surgeries on both of his feet, isn't it?  It isn't like he was healthy and not playing....

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

"Riding pine" is a little harsh for a guy that had surgeries on both of his feet, isn't it?  It isn't like he was healthy and not playing....

Ok, how bout riding aluminum?  Who cares how he ended up on the bench - fact remains he couldn’t contribute to the team on the field (perhaps he did from the pine/aluminum/plastic).  

Never said he sucked.  You’re the one who made the leap from “riding pine” to sucking.  Don’t put that **** on me.

I think it is only fair that I reserve the right to put **** on anyone I see fit when I want. If they do not like it, no one cares.

The guy was hurt last year and was going to get working into his rookie year slowly anyway. That plan got thrown out the window with surgeries and the other injuries at that position last year. I think we all suspect that Biegal and whoever else makes the roster will probably get snaps and opportunities backing up the two starters. They have a tendency to miss a game or two. Hope for that best that these back ups take big steps forward this year.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Did he really though? He had a great first game but after that his production was similar to Fackrell. 

I don't get it. At all. The amount of love TJ Watt gets and the amount of hate Fackrell gets both seem WAY out of proportion to me.

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

Did he really though? He had a great first game but after that his production was similar to Fackrell. 

I don't get it. At all. The amount of love TJ Watt gets and the amount of hate Fackrell gets both seem WAY out of proportion to me.

watch Watt cover Jordy in the slot and force an incompletion.  Then watch him beat a Tackle off the edge.

Then Watch Fackrell

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

It was too perfect to not happen. Watt, a Wisconsin boy, at a position of need, there where the Packers picked and passed up. Watt had 7 sacks on the year as rookie which is nothing to scoff at. Either way I wouldn't say its a direct comparison. However, I think Watts production has been blown up into something it isn't because of the points above.  If Kevin King comes in this year and locks down the #1 CB spot it frankly doesn't matter what Watt is doing. 

29 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Not really, no. He was graded as a 78 last year per PFF which makes him decisively average. Could he improve? Sure. But, so can King.

44 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

It was too perfect to not happen. Watt, a Wisconsin boy, at a position of need, there where the Packers picked and passed up. Watt had 7 sacks on the year as rookie which is nothing to scoff at. Either way I wouldn't say its a direct comparison. However, I think Watts production has been blown up into something it isn't because of the points above.  If Kevin King comes in this year and locks down the #1 CB spot it frankly doesn't matter what Watt is doing. 

Watt checked every narrative possible but I don't know how anyone can look back and be upset with us getting King + Biegel instead of taking Watt. If Watt turns into an all pro maybe but our secondary was so bad TT had to do something. He traded back and still got an EDGE which some would say was better football player rather just an elite athlete. Only time will tell really. 

3 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Watt is going to be a very good player. He does a lot for that team other than rushing the passer.

17 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Ok, how bout riding aluminum?  Who cares how he ended up on the bench - fact remains he couldn’t contribute to the team on the field (perhaps he did from the pine/aluminum/plastic).  

Never said he sucked.  You’re the one who made the leap from “riding pine” to sucking.  Don’t put that **** on me.

I never mentioned the word sucked, that's on you.

And it is tough, really tough, to get on the field when you have multiple surgeries.  You aren't "riding pine", you are injured.  Pretty big difference.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I never mentioned the word sucked, that's on you.

And it is tough, really tough, to get on the field when you have multiple surgeries.  You aren't "riding pine", you are injured.  Pretty big difference.

And how does being injured due to surgery change the fact that he wasn't able to help the team?  What difference does it make if he's sitting on the bench or standing on the sidelines?  Fact - he wasn't able to contribute much last year!   Geez dude, you get your feelers hurt because you think I somehow disrespected Biegel by saying he was "riding the pine", as opposed to standing on the sidelines?  In fact, who said "riding pine" was a designation reserved only for folks who've been benched for lousy play?  I doubt even Biegel would care? Luckily, he has more important things to worry about than nuanced message board postings.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

And how does being injured due to surgery change the fact that he wasn't able to help the team?  What difference does it make if he's sitting on the bench or standing on the sidelines?  Fact - he wasn't able to contribute much last year!   Geez dude, you get your feelers hurt because you think I somehow disrespected Biegel by saying he was "riding the pine", as opposed to standing on the sidelines?  In fact, who said "riding pine" was a designation reserved only for folks who've been benched for lousy play?  I doubt even Biegel would care? Luckily, he has more important things to worry about than nuanced message board postings.

I swear I started typing this before but I probably said screw it.

Here's my thing. Don't like Vince. Didn't particularly like the pick but it was fine for that part of the draft. But, dude got hurt like when? This month last year? Said on pup the whole time possible I think. It's really hard for a rookie to miss tc then sit out of practice after that for so long. That'll hurt anyone. I don't think anything differently of him as a player yet, other than just being scared of injuries. Him being behind the curve after all that isn't some massive indictment in my eyes is what I'm getting at.

As someone raised in another thread, Denver declining Ray's option suggests he won't be around next year. Could throw a 4th at Denver (might take a 3rd) to get Ray. I doubt they'd want Hundley as part of the deal, but may be willing to deal Ray straight up for a pick next year. I'd do it in a second. These are the very types of moves that help win championships, the very moves TT never made, and the very moves a lot of us want to see out of Gute to show that it's truly not status quo way of thinking around here. 

Again, until I see it, I doubt we make any type of move like this, but if Gute is serious about a 2018 run, here's a move we could make especially given the fact that we have already acquired the extra No. 1 next year. 

Archived