2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, Cheech said:

Please tell me how Fackrell is better than the list of guys I provided.  

He was drafted and still on a roster for one. Kony Ealy seems like he's been cut every week for about 3 years. Steven Means has as many teams as years in the NFL, Zettel is a DL, and is a Brown, Elliott is a better ST than Fack, but as a defensive player? He was totally meh, Nate Orchard hasn't done a damn thing in the league either.

Simon is it. The rest of the guys? A bunch of Fackrell's.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He was drafted and still on a roster for one. Kony Ealy seems like he's been cut every week for about 3 years. Steven Means has as many teams as years in the NFL, Zettel is a DL, and is a Brown, Elliott is a better ST than Fack, but as a defensive player? He was totally meh, Nate Orchard hasn't done a damn thing in the league either.

Simon is it. The rest of the guys? A bunch of Fackrell's.

In what ways is Fackrell better than Nate Orchard or Jayrone Elliott?

I didn't ask for a history of transactions.  Give me a football answer.

Does he have a wider variety of pass rush moves?  Does he use his hands to keep himself clean?  Can he transition from speed to power better?  Does he have a better bull rush?  Does he have better bend when he turns the corner? Can he keep his outside shoulder free while engaging with a blocker?  Is he better at dropping into coverage?  

10 minutes ago, Cheech said:

In what ways is Fackrell better than Nate Orchard or Jayrone Elliott?

I didn't ask for a history of transactions.  Give me a football answer.

Does he have a wider variety of pass rush moves?  Does he use his hands to keep himself clean?  Can he transition from speed to power better?  Does he have a better bull rush?  Does he have better bend when he turns the corner? Can he keep his outside shoulder free while engaging with a blocker?  Is he better at dropping into coverage?  

Let me just pull on my wide array of Steven Means and Nate Orchard tape I store for those rainy days.

Sometimes you can accomplish things in life much quicker, if it looks like a dog and barks like a dog, it's probably a dog. Just because they're new names doesn't make them anything better than Fackrell. I posted other teams 4th OLB, you saw the names, why is no one else jumping on these guys then??

1 minute ago, Cheech said:

Pretty simple question.  If you can dismiss those names so easily, you must know their game well.

Hell, I'd settle for your scouting report on 51.  Be sure to include "He's here." And "He knows the defense." In his bio.

He's a taller, longer Biegel with a tad more explosion and a bit better ability to swat the hands. Can't set an edge or win with any sort of power. Doesn't disengage when an OT gets him. Mediocre player who probably doesn't get a 2nd deal unless they like him on ST.

Just now, Cheech said:

Sounds like an off-ball linebacker to me.  Someone who shouldn't be given 400 snaps at a position that hes physically incapable of handling.  

Well now we're assuming his snap count in a defense we have no data for. I don't want him anywhere near 400 snaps.

I also don't want any of the guys you listed anywhere near that number. I'll play a 4-3 before then.

24 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Pretty simple question.  If you can dismiss those names so easily, you must know their game well.

Hell, I'd settle for your scouting report on 51.  Be sure to include "He's here." And "He knows the defense." In his bio.

I'll type this slow so you can hopefully understand. Maybe get Chong to hold your weed for a minute.

Fackrell is a third round pick on his rookie contract.  He actually has b e t t e r  stats than any of the guys you have mentioned.

He's also one of the leaders in snaps on special teams.  He achieved better stats than the other suckers you've mentioned while probably playing out of position.

Just because you have a GIF of him that you play over and over doesn't really hold water.  I'm guessing that if we did replace him with someone of similar talent it would mean you would move on to the problems with our 6th WR or maybe out 9th OL, no no I'm betting it would be our 5th CB.  Both Mods have been more than patient with you and now I have to figure out  the ignore button again. 

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Let me just pull on my wide array of Steven Means and Nate Orchard tape I store for those rainy days.

Sometimes you can accomplish things in life much quicker, if it looks like a dog and barks like a dog, it's probably a dog. Just because they're new names doesn't make them anything better than Fackrell. I posted other teams 4th OLB, you saw the names, why is no one else jumping on these guys then??

Another way of saying the same thing:  "If it looks like sh*t, smells like sh*t and feels like sh*t...............do you really want to taste it ?"

As for @Packerraymond mention in another post:
 "also don't want any of the guys you listed anywhere near that number (400 snaps). I'll play a 4-3 before then"
You may get your wish this year, well, sometimes during the year, anyway.

8 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The idea that the Packers have signed three ILB's and cut two OLB's without replacement makes me think there is a big change in mindset there, and they just don't feel the need.  I don't understand why that is the case, so I feel like we need to see the scheme play to understand what is going on right now, and what additions/subtractions would make sense.

As I have thought about this issue more, I arrived at the question - Are the Packers moving way from converted defensive ends for their linebackers?

The only two right now are Perry and Gilbert.  He has Donnerson on the practice squad to develop as a backup to those two?

This, in addition to Fackrell's effectiveness on special teams is why I give Fackrell the benefit of the doubt over the guys listed in the thread.

Capers 3-4 had morphed over time to a poor man's 4-3 that was totally dependent on 2 OLB's that were really undersized 4-3 ends for pass rush which meant that he lost all the deception of the 3-4 that I believe is the key to it being successful.  

I think that clouds our perceptions of needs right now.  My hope is that Pettine has a plan that puts players into assignments that match their skill sets, and then guys like Fackrell make more sense.  If the backers can all play in space, then he can vary who is coming, and where they are coming from, and have more success without having to be too dependent on two guys.

36 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

As I have thought about this issue more, I arrived at the question - Are the Packers moving way from converted defensive ends for their linebackers?

The only two right now are Perry and Gilbert.  He has Donnerson on the practice squad to develop as a backup to those two?

This, in addition to Fackrell's effectiveness on special teams is why I give Fackrell the benefit of the doubt over the guys listed in the thread.

Capers 3-4 had morphed over time to a poor man's 4-3 that was totally dependent on 2 OLB's that were really undersized 4-3 ends for pass rush which meant that he lost all the deception of the 3-4 that I believe is the key to it being successful.  

I think that clouds our perceptions of needs right now.  My hope is that Pettine has a plan that puts players into assignments that match their skill sets, and then guys like Fackrell make more sense.  If the backers can all play in space, then he can vary who is coming, and where they are coming from, and have more success without having to be too dependent on two guys.

Nice write up and I have the same thought/hope. I think based on what Pettine has said it seems like he wants to put the players here in the correct positions. I'm hopeful we see something to get excited about Sunday night until then its all conjecture and apparently we will be talking about Fackrell up till Kickoff.

Archived