2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

10 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I lived in an old historic western mining town once.  We used to dig under old outhouses to find amazing treasurers - coins, gold, bottles still full of whiskey and opium.  Some of these treasures fetched hundreds, even thousands of dollars in value.  Turns out the miners back in the day used to stumble into the outhouses and drop lots of valuable things in the sh!tters.  Somewhere in this story is a valuable lesson, but you'll have to pick through the sh!t to get it.

Find any corn?

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Find any corn?

Nope, but someone in our town did find the body of an old outlaw in the bottom of one of those old sh!thouses.  They never ID'd the body, but the forensics folks said it was probably about 130 years old.  Someone either got drunk and fell in, or was intentionally placed there. That sh!t probably happened a lot our here in the old west!

2 hours ago, craig said:

I think a lot of plays where you want to rest Clay or Perry, that Pettine may instead replace them with a DL (Adams or Lowry or Wilkerson) rather than by Fackrell.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

The more variety the better, you don't always have to be locked into a like for like replacement. Of course you need to have the time to replace a guy, the offense can dictate that to some extent,  but there will be many times in a game where you can do that.......

48 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I don't give a **** about other teams 4th string OLB. But if my teams 4th string OLB smells like ****, looks like ****, well, then he must be ****. And I'm flushing that **** down the toilet and taking another. 

Especially when you consider...our depth at OLB is a lot more important than most teams in the league, given our injury prone starters. We're going to be relying on our backups *knock on wood* a lot more than others. 

Gosh I love da packers. 

I don't give a **** if an the other McDonald's employees make minimum wage. I demand $25 an hour!

29 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Nope, but someone in our town did find the body of an old outlaw in the bottom of one of those old sh!thouses.  They never ID'd the body, but the forensics folks said it was probably about 130 years old.  Someone either got drunk and fell in, or was intentionally placed there. That sh!t probably happened a lot our here in the old west!

Pretty good place to hide a body.  It already smells, and no one will go down there willingly.

14 hours ago, Cheech said:

You keep calling them pass rushers like that is their only job.  Defending the run is equally as important.  I'm not arguing that we need to find someone to replace our starters pass rush production should they go down.  I'm saying we need a 4th EDGE player who can keep the defense functioning.  Someone who has the ability to win on first and 2nd down on a consistent basis.    

I still haven't seen a single person stand up for Fackrell yet either.  What gives?  

At this point, arguing semantics means your point has very little validity.  You can call them EDGE, pass rushers, etc., but they all mean the same thing.  And no, defending against the run is not as equally important as rushing the passer is.  There's a reason why one-dimensional pass rushers like Elvis Dumervil continue to get paid quite well, while run-first pass rushers don't.  I mean, Robert Ayers was signed and almost immediately released.  You need someone who won't be a liability against the run, i.e Erik Walden.

As for your question, it's not hard.  He's not very good.  But neither is the list from that post.

14 hours ago, Cheech said:

Please tell me how Fackrell is better than the list of guys I provided.  

Other than the anecdotal videos, argue how he's clearly worse.  I'd argue he's probably in that same tier.  Anthony Chickillo leads the list that Packerraymond provided with 5.5 sacks over 2 years.  Fackrell has 5 sacks over 2 seasons.  That's a marginal difference.

13 hours ago, Cheech said:

Pretty simple question.  If you can dismiss those names so easily, you must know their game well.

Hell, I'd settle for your scouting report on 51.  Be sure to include "He's here." And "He knows the defense." In his bio.

The logic applies the other way if you want to go down that route...if you want to claim they're better than Fackrell, feel free to defend your side.

5 hours ago, craig said:

Good post.  I'm not sure I'm tracking exactly, though? 

• Of the 6 guys that Gute referred to as OLB, four of them are college DE:  both Perry and Gilbert on the 53, and both Donnerson and Looney on the 63. 
  • And Donnerson and Looney are the new pickups, after Pettine was hired; whereas they didn't really pick up any Fackrell-style guys.  
  • So I don't know what to make of it. 

Like you say, what's the difference between a 4-3 and Capers 2DL+2OLB sets, other than than having the OLB standing up? 

In many ways, I see the DL-OLB as a pretty much interchangeable continuum.  Fackell is on the "non-strong" end of that continuum; Looney in the heavier area; perhaps a Wilkerson could be included too on the big/strong end? 

As per Fackrell, snaps, run-defense challenge, and resting-Clay/Perry: 

• My guess is that Clay/Perry will *not* need to always be rest-replaced by an "OLB" (Gilbert or Fackrell)  
  • I think a lot of plays where you want to rest Clay or Perry, that Pettine may instead replace them with a DL (Adams or Lowry or Wilkerson) rather than by Fackrell. 
  • At least, on downs with concerns about Fackrell's run-defense.  
  • On other downs where you don't expect a run,  perhaps they'll think Fackrell's mobility will make him worth playing ahead of a DL.    
  • Since the biggest worry with Fackrell is run defense, I just think they'll avoid giving him set-the-edge run responsibilities, or using him in packages where his weakness in run defense is exposed.  

I agree whole heartedly with your conclusions.  

Just wanted to point out that Looney and Donnerson aren't DE conversions.  Donnerson was and OLB in a 3-4 system in college as Fackrell was, and Looney was a DT.  I think Looney is being kept as a developmental prospect for the DL, and Donnerson is a linebacker who is just really raw.

The thing that surprises me is that of the true college 3-4 OLB's that we picked up, Fackrell is considered JAG, Biegel was cut in year 2, and Donnerson is practice squad.  Not much success there even though they stayed in position from college to the NFL.

17 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Just wanted to point out that Looney and Donnerson aren't DE conversions.  Donnerson was and OLB in a 3-4 system in college as Fackrell was, and Looney was a DT.  I think Looney is being kept as a developmental prospect for the DL, and Donnerson is a linebacker who is just really raw.

The thing that surprises me is that of the true college 3-4 OLB's that we picked up, Fackrell is considered JAG, Biegel was cut in year 2, and Donnerson is practice squad.  Not much success there even though they stayed in position from college to the NFL.

Sucks really the positioned seemed quite thing the last couple drafts. Seemed either top end or bottom end talent just not allot of mid level guys. I"m hopeful Donnerson can grow he's got the physical gifts that can't be taught. Lets home he may progress like Gilbert.

47 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I don't think that Looney at EDGE is a thing quite yet.  Did he even line up at the 5T in the preseason?  He doesn't seem like a Datone Jones type of athlete that could even make that transition.

More telling is the Zettle waiver claim and Pettine's history of seemingly favoring the heavier 4-3 DE body type over a 250lb OLB.  

16 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I'll type this slow so you can hopefully understand. Maybe get Chong to hold your weed for a minute.

Fackrell is a third round pick on his rookie contract.  He actually has b e t t e r  stats than any of the guys you have mentioned.

He's also one of the leaders in snaps on special teams.  He achieved better stats than the other suckers you've mentioned while probably playing out of position.

Just because you have a GIF of him that you play over and over doesn't really hold water.  I'm guessing that if we did replace him with someone of similar talent it would mean you would move on to the problems with our 6th WR or maybe out 9th OL, no no I'm betting it would be our 5th CB.  Both Mods have been more than patient with you and now I have to figure out  the ignore button again. 

I've never suggested he be cut.  He's good on special teams.  He can move extremely well for his size.  He's an ideal SAM backer in the 4-3 under.  He simply doesn't have the functional strength to play on the edge.

In order for Matthews and Perry to stay healthy, they need to rotate off the field for a few series every game.  Dom did a nice job of that last year but that also left our 3rd and 4th OLB with 450 and 380 snaps.  (Biegel had 180ish by the end of the season as well.)

I made the suggestion that the 4th OLB should be someone that can handle both the edge setting and pass rushing aspects of playing that position.  Fackrell is consistently pushed around in the run game.  Vs. the Raiders this pre-season he lost contain because a wide receiver blocked him out of the play. 

I gave multiple suggestions of players on the street that could fill in that #4 position adequately enough.  

Then I was told how much of an idiot I was for making such claims - even though Fackrell's teammates had absolutely nothing positive to say about him when asked directly.

Today we learned that one of the players I listed (all of them are supposedly trash) was actually claimed by Gute 2 days ago.

So what am I missing?

Archived