2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think you are right, but he is soaked up on a block as well.  I have to go back to the replay because I don't remember what the WR set was on that play and how his responsibility might be split.  He responds to the WR in motion pre-snap which might have indicated a responsibility there and delayed his response in run support.

I am waiting for the all 22 to come out tomorrow to get a better view on some of this stuff.

It will be interesting to break down defensive alignments and see if there is any better insight into assignments.

Going back to the reply, I was wrong on some points:

First, it was Howard, not Cohen

Second, a corner, I think it was King, goes with the WR in motion, and Ha Ha only takes a bit over a step adjusting so I would guess Ha Ha's pass responsibility on the play was the tight end.  No way to be certain, but that is the way it appears.

Ha Ha looks slow in his response to the run.  Don't know if he couldn't see.

The play ended with a holding call as Long held Daniels, and it sure looked like without that Daniels drops him for a loss.

So we are analyzing a bad play for the Bears like it was a raging success.  

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just curious about your read on it. I've got five defenders for five gaps and HHCD getting picked off by a receiver. 

I see a hard slant toward the field side, with Daniels doing who knows what. Really doesnt matter what Fackrell does, there's a wide open hole if he mimics Perry and holds the edge and there's no edge if he crashes inside. HHCD and Tramon you can't see until the end, but I imagine they sit there and hop in place until the ball carrier gets there.

It's like they knew what play was coming, tried to kill it with an agressive run blitz. The only explanation I have for Daniels is that he's acting almost as an OL and blowing that gap open for Martinez to rush through and make the play for a loss. Guess I would have to know the context, if this was say a 3rd and 1, it's a nifty design try and get off the field. If it's 1st and 10 this just looks stupid.

Even still, any component back is bouncing that. They needed to have Lowry and Fackrell slam toward the field  side and replace with either Tramon or HHCD to hold the edge. The hole develops so quickly Martinez has no chance.

52 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

75% of snaps is about average for a starter, especially if you don't have a high end backup. Hard to be upset about 6 more snaps imo.

**** if Clay doesn't get whistled for that stupid penalty at the end he comes off the field right at 75%

Kind of the point of this free agent thread.

The Packers don't need a high end backup behind Clay.

They need someone who Pettine is sufficiently confident in that he can put in and give Clay consistent rest.

And, given the fact he played just 4 snaps and played them horribly, that backup does not appear to be Kyler Fackrell.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

They need someone who Pettine is sufficiently confident in that he can put in and give Clay consistent rest.

And, given the fact he played just 4 snaps and played them horribly, that backup does not appear to be Kyler Fackrell.

Do we know that Fackrell played horribly? We've got a whole bunch of people in here bashing him for not making what would have been a superstar play and forcing the back to his help.

Was it a great play? No. Did it look good? No. Was Fackrell the reason we gave up yards there? Also No. 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Do we know that Fackrell played horribly?

Do we know for a metaphysical certainty that Fackrell played poorly?

Absolutely not.

Do we know that Pettine only allowed Fackrell on the field for 4 of the 70 defensive snaps?

Yep.

Do we know that PFF, FWIW, ranked Kyler 114th out of the 114 players it graded at the DE/OLB positions for his performance Sunday night?

Yep.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Do we know that Fackrell played horribly? We've got a whole bunch of people in here bashing him for not making what would have been a superstar play and forcing the back to his help.

Was it a great play? No. Did it look good? No. Was Fackrell the reason we gave up yards there? Also No. 

If we had a backup that Pettine trusted would they have played more than 4 snaps?  Arguing that 52 should be able to play starter snaps is simply arguing for the sake of it.  It should be common knowledge that a 32 YO pass rusher with his injury history doesn't play 60 snaps.  He clearly can't handle it physically.  And he's not even hurt yet.  That is an absolute recipe for disaster.

I love the breakdown of the play.  I love that you all are passionate enough to care about responsibilities on that play.  They matter.  But there is such a thing as overanalyzing when the obvious answer is right in front of us.. 

This is one play that illustrated the point I've been trying to make but waaay too many of you refuse to acknowledge. 

51 is not built to play EDGE.

8 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Only you'd manage to make a deal about 4 defensive snaps...

3 hours ago, Cheech said:

If we had a backup that Pettine trusted would they have played more than 4 snaps?  Arguing that 52 should be able to play starter snaps is simply arguing for the sake of it.  It should be common knowledge that a 32 YO pass rusher with his injury history doesn't play 60 snaps.  He clearly can't handle it physically.  And he's not even hurt yet.  That is an absolute recipe for disaster.

I love the breakdown of the play.  I love that you all are passionate enough to care about responsibilities on that play.  They matter.  But there is such a thing as overanalyzing when the obvious answer is right in front of us.. 

This is one play that illustrated the point I've been trying to make but waaay too many of you refuse to acknowledge. 

51 is not built to play EDGE.

If the answer is obvious, then why did the guy you quoted not even know whose responsibility it was? I'm confused here...

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If the answer is obvious, then why did the guy you quoted not even know whose responsibility it was? I'm confused here...

I'm confused by why "this needs to be trashed" if Morrison isn't so timid that's a TFL. He hops in place and missed the tackle because the instincts didn't get him there.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You clearly can't see the forest through the trees. 

Tell me.  Why did Fackrell only get 4 snaps when Matthews was out there falling on his *** and making a fool of himself?  Could it have something to do with him ******* up 2 of the 4 plays he was in the game for?  

2 minutes ago, Cheech said:

You clearly can't see the forest through the trees. 

Tell me.  Why did Fackrell only get 4 snaps when Matthews was out there falling on his *** and making a fool of himself?  Could it have something to do with him ******* up 2 of the 4 plays he was in the game for?  

You clearly can't tell time. Wasn't that play at the end of the game? Or is Pettine prescient? ?

Archived