Offseason Rumor Thread

49erurtaza

21 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Allen is athletic. He's right that guys like him usually go high in the Draft, but those are also the type of guys who have historically not panned out.

Yeah, where I'd take issue is the argument that he's the kind of guy you'd historically be able to get in the 4th round.  Maybe 10 years ago, but not anymore.  Logan Thomas and Joshua Dobbs are the caliber of quarterback you're getting in the 4th round these days and as much of a project as Allen is, he's already shown an ability to improve at a more accelerated rate (just in this draft-prep season) than either of those two to be considered on their level... and he has superior physical tools to either, as well.

At the very least, what he does have going for him, in the same vein that a prospect like Kaepernick did, is that he's got tremendous ceiling versus a "2nd round type prospect" who gets his value overinflated by need like Christian Ponder who has miniscule room for growth by comparison.

13 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Theres also a long legacy of examples of big armed qbs who learn to throw with anticipation in the league.  To me thats why the work ethic is so important. Russell didnt have that work ethic, Stafford did. But thats also why its hard to be an nfl talent scout.  One thing that doesnt seem to get better with work ethic is ball security and thats why Darnold would absolutely scare the hell out of me as an evaluator.

Stafford is a prime example of how difficult it is for an elite arm talent who lacks accuracy and anticipation to improve in the NFL.

While Stafford has shown considerable improvement in these areas, it took a lucky hire in JBC to finally set him on the right path but he still lacks consistency. He will never be the type of guy who plays an entire game and just picks apart a defense with precision like the way we have seen Rodgers, Manning, Brady and Brees do. Even Big BenRyan... have their stretches. Like most elite arm talents, Stafford is still a gunslinger type who usually plays poor to mediocre for a large parts of the game but his arm talent allows him to make enough big plays to keep his team in many of them. The only major difference with Stafford post-JBC is that he has cut down on his mistakes. 

Thing is, historically, guys like this will maybe win 1 championship (lightning in a bottle) while the guys with top level accuracy and anticipation win more. If you're faced with a decision between two players with one having an elite arm and the other having elite accuracy and anticipation, the smart move is to take the latter. 

13 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Stafford, Favre, Newton, Cutler, Rodgers to an extent (didnt show the same arm strength but he had some real problems with anticipation at Cal), Roethlisberger.  LIS its a long list.  Virtually every successful strong armed qb came into the league not throwing with anticipation and had to learn to adjust to it bc the windows get tight.  Just like every average armed qb came into the league already throwing with anticipation but still had to improve it and learn what they could and could not throw.

I wouldn't put Rodgers in Ben in the same category as the other guys. I forgot who it was (it might have been Cosell), who said there is a difference between arm strength and arm talent. Arm strength is the ability to just throw the ball hard with velocity. Arm talent is the ability to throw with touch, anticipation, as well as velocity. Rodgers arm strength was nothing to write home about when he got drafted. Like Brady and Brees, his arm got stronger as he developed and got older. Ben has always had touch and anticipation.

Just now, DaveDX said:

So Michael Vick is now the OC for the Atlanta AAF team.  I'm not sure how his personal experience, predicated upon his own preternatural athletic ability, will translate to the Xs and Os of others.

I don't know Michael Vick or his Xs and Os acumen but you're right generational talents don't often make great coaches. It's the Atlanta team so you have to think it's a marketing move.

38 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Josh Allen just got Tunsil'd.

lol no he didn't.

Trubisky had the same thing happen last year. Hell this happens so often it shouldn't be surprising. Kids say stupid crap in high school before they have any idea of what their future might hold, you're a fool if you try to hold that over their head. It's obvious that the majority of high management in front offices doesn't. If Josh Allen had said that in College, particularly in one of his years as a starter THEN it'd be headline worthy.

44 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I really don't think it's going to affect him. He's a possible franchise QB. 

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

lol no he didn't.

In the sense that someone is actively trying to get him to drop by leaking sensitive materials on draft day, he got Tunsil'd.

Whether it actually has an effect we simply can't know until draft time (I don't think it should but could see why it might).

Just now, cddolphin said:

In the sense that someone is actively trying to get him to drop by leaking sensitive materials on draft day, he got Tunsil'd.

Whether it actually has an effect we simply can't know until draft time (I don't think it should but could see why it might).

I'd be shocked if Allen falls out of the top 3. I personally don't think that highly of him, but it is what it is.

Just now, Danger said:

I'd be shocked if Allen falls out of the top 3. I personally don't think that highly of him, but it is what it is.

Nor do I, but all the "buzz" today was been Mayfield at #1.

Seems completely out of nowhere, most of these so-called leaks the past few days seem completely unreliable since teams have essentially locked out their scouts and non-essential personnel at this point.

I wonder if it will end up being Darnold all along.

Just now, cddolphin said:

Nor do I, but all the "buzz" today was been Mayfield at #1.

I'd be shocked if Mayfield goes #1, reeks of Smokescreen to me. Of course the Browns don't want to let on to their plans given they pick again at #4. They'll pick Darnold #1. 

Though I could see the Jets going Mayfield at #3 tbh.

Archived