2018 Spring Training Thread

mission27

3 hours ago, playmaker8267 said:

Ah yes, the point in March when Spring Training stats are posted as if they mean something.

The one thing I ever worry about in Spring Training is when a pitcher is still throwing several MPH lower than their usual in late-March. Is Ohtani's stuff ok?

5 hours ago, bootsy said:

LOL what the hell is this ridiculousness. Stop.

LOL it's full of sarcasm but i will agree with Devil the kid is gonna be very special at the next level for a very long time.   He has everything you could wish for in a player to be the next big thing in the mlb.   Also agree with them that he should stay down for the 1st 3 weeks to get that extra year since the Braves won't be going for a playoff spot this year i don't think.   But next year and on with all that cap space they will have + some of these young kids they have starting to look really impressive they are gonna have a bright future.

18 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Meh. Not if its just a month or two. They have 50 internal backup options that are better than first options from 20 other clubs.

It's a substantial wrist injury to a hitter.  Very likely that he doesn't hit like his normal self for the entire season.  That's a 151 wRC+ bat out of the lineup, which no team can lose.  Who are their options?  More Chase Utley and his 96 wRC+?  Hernandez and his 92 wRC+?  

Wins are going to be even more of a premium this year for the Dodgers, as they battle the Nats and Cubs for the best NL record.  Whoever has the best regular season record gets to avoid the other 2 in the the NLDS, which is a HUGE advantage in the NLCS. 

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

It's a substantial wrist injury to a hitter.  Very likely that he doesn't hit like his normal self for the entire season.  That's a 151 wRC+ bat out of the lineup, which no team can lose.  Who are their options?  More Chase Utley and his 96 wRC+?  Hernandez and his 92 wRC+?  

Wins are going to be even more of a premium this year for the Dodgers, as they battle the Nats and Cubs for the best NL record.  Whoever has the best regular season record gets to avoid the other 2 in the the NLDS, which is a HUGE advantage in the NLCS. 

They can move Taylor to the IF and play Pederson/Toles in the OF. They’ll be fine. 

1 hour ago, NewAge said:

They can move Taylor to the IF and play Pederson/Toles in the OF. They’ll be fine. 

100/104 wRC+ respectively.  They are taking a monster offensive hit no matter who they stick in there.  They're not going to suddenly become a .500 ball club obviously, but in the context of the race for best NL record, it's a huge setback.  Also a huge setback for the playoffs if the injury does indeed mess with him all year, as wrist injuries have to others before.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:42 PM, NewAge said:

But they're not acting like they're going to do that.  They're talking about playing Barnes at 2nd more than anything from what I've read.  Which is silly to me.  Taylor at 2nd and Toles in the OF seems like the best move.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:54 PM, hrubes20 said:

100/104 wRC+ respectively.  They are taking a monster offensive hit no matter who they stick in there.  They're not going to suddenly become a .500 ball club obviously, but in the context of the race for best NL record, it's a huge setback.  Also a huge setback for the playoffs if the injury does indeed mess with him all year, as wrist injuries have to others before.

They'll find another 150 wRC guy who wouldn't have existed without Turner getting hurt tbh

Segedin?

10 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

They'll find another 150 wRC guy who wouldn't have existed without Turner getting hurt tbh

Segedin?

I know this was tongue in cheek, but just no.  On that front though, Turner reportedly doesn't need surgery which should allow him to come back a couple weeks earlier.  It doesn't alleviate any of the concerns about the wrist injury lingering all year though.

Archived