2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Offensive Line

swede700

3 minutes ago, Krauser said:

How happy or mad would we be if they drafted Kolton Miller at #30? He’s the giant (nearly 6’9”) UCLA LT who lit up the combine — broke a record in the broad jump, etc.

He’s got a flaw in his footwork where he takes a “false step”, bringing his outside left foot forward before he starts to drop back into pass protection. That makes him late off the LOS, and it leads to some lunging and leaves him open to inside counter moves. Brandon Thorn among others has roasted him for his technical flaws. Many scouts think he’d be overdrafted anytime before the 3rd round  

On the other hand, Miller manages to succeed despite the technical flaws — was one of the best pass protecting tackles in the nation despite that, blocking in a pro style passing offense with Rosen at QB. And the flaw seems very correctable, just change the way he shifts his balance coming out of his stance. 

I also read a couple of comments that Miller’s film looks worse earlier in the year (Memphis game for instance, that yields a low of his miscues on tape analysis), because he wa still recovering from a broken ankle that ended his season in 2016. Later in the year, he looked better. 

Heres a complete game cutup of Miller late in the year vs USC, including numerous one on ones vs Nwosu and Green, both Force Players and likely top 100 picks this year:

Looks really good there. Even when Nwosu jumps the snap and Miller takes his false step, he is so athletic that he can get back to the corner and force the rusher outside. 

And he’s a dominating run blocker, especially on zone concepts and getting to the second level. 

Looks a little like Tyron Smith. 

He would be one of my least favorite 1st round picks. However,  I won't hate the pick completely if we also draft an IOL in the 2nd or 3rd that can come in and start. I just think that we have 1 glaring hole on an otherwise super bowl ready roster, and I don't trust Miller to fill it THIS YEAR. He does have great traits for down the road, but I don't want to rely on him to step on and start. 

I would be very skeptical of Miller at #30, but he has the athleticism where I wouldn’t hate the pick. 

Personally, I think he’s too tall to be an effective player in the NFL. 

Also, I tend to shy away, in regards to the 1st round, from these athletic specimens along the offensive line who simply need refinement in their technique. The NFL is simply not allowing enough practice time for these raw players to get the developmental reps that they need. 

34 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

He would be one of my least favorite 1st round picks. However,  I won't hate the pick completely if we also draft an IOL in the 2nd or 3rd that can come in and start. I just think that we have 1 glaring hole on an otherwise super bowl ready roster, and I don't trust Miller to fill it THIS YEAR. He does have great traits for down the road, but I don't want to rely on him to step on and start. 

Thing is that the team is supposedly planning to move Remmers to guard full time. That would make the tackle depth chart: 

• Reiff. Can play either side. A decent NFL starter but not great last year. PFF ranks: 29 of 61 tackles (playing LT) in 2015, 38 of 62 (RT) in 2016, 46 of 55 (LT) in 2017. 
  • Hill. OK depth player but had several bad games at the end of the year when asked to start (Detroit on Thanksgiving, Carolina, both playoff games), and never had a really good game
  • Collins. Maybe he can play tackle, but so far he's just been a depth tackle in preseason and a 6th OL run blocker. 

That's a considerably worse depth chart than they have at CB, DE or DT -- 3 positions with no immediate need for a rookie to start, where fans still seem generally happy to invest a 1st round pick this year. 

Unless they move Remmers back to tackle, the choices are Hill or a rookie. Seems very unlikely McGlinchey will fall to them, and pretty unlikely that Connor Williams (who has short arms, and his own technical flaws, and may be an NFL guard) or Isaiah Wynn (also smaller frame, and probably a guard at the next level) will be there. 

So if Remmers plays guard, one of these players seems likely to be starting at tackle week one in Philadelphia: 

• Rashod Hill
  • Kolton Miller (1st-2nd)
  • Tyrell Crosby (late 1st or 2nd)
  • Jamarco Jones (2nd or 3rd)

I like Jones quite a bit and Crosby not as much from what I've seen of them. Crosby is a very good run blocker and moves well but he doesn't really do drop back pass blocking in Oregon's scheme. Jones is solid but he has his own flaws (ducking his head, lunging) and he's not nearly as strong or quick on his feet as Miller. 

With two teams drafting right after them who need tackles -- Patriots and Eagles -- seems like #30 isn't a bad spot to draft a tackle. And waiting to day 2 probably puts them out of range of anyone who could potentially start as a rookie. 

If they did take Miller, I'd keep him at LT and move Reiff back to the right side. Draft an IOL on day 2 and go with: 

Miller - Easton - Elflein - Remmers - Reiff

and eventually

Miller - Corbett (or Ragnow or whoever) - Elflein - Remmers - Reiff

If you don't like 2 rookies on the same side, how about

Miller - Remmers - Elflein - Teller (or Ragnow or whoever) - Reiff

I haven’t seen any report suggesting that the Vikings are planning on moving Remmers to guard, merely it’s been brought up as an option, giving the team some flexibility. 

Given the raw nature of Miller’s game, I’d be much more inclined to draft an interior offensive lineman, like Hernandez or Price, at 30 and leave Remmers at tackle. Maybe address the tackle position on day two with a player like Crosby, Okorafor, Jones, or maybe even O’Neill. 

9 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Thing is that the team is supposedly planning to move Remmers to guard full time. That would make the tackle depth chart: 

• Reiff. Can play either side. A decent NFL starter but not great last year. PFF ranks: 29 of 61 tackles (playing LT) in 2015, 38 of 62 (RT) in 2016, 46 of 55 (LT) in 2017. 
  • Hill. OK depth player but had several bad games at the end of the year when asked to start (Detroit on Thanksgiving, Carolina, both playoff games), and never had a really good game
  • Collins. Maybe he can play tackle, but so far he's just been a depth tackle in preseason and a 6th OL run blocker. 

That's a considerably worse depth chart than they have at CB, DE or DT -- 3 positions with no immediate need for a rookie to start, where fans still seem generally happy to invest a 1st round pick this year. 

Unless they move Remmers back to tackle, the choices are Hill or a rookie. Seems very unlikely McGlinchey will fall to them, and pretty unlikely that Connor Williams (who has short arms, and his own technical flaws, and may be an NFL guard) or Isaiah Wynn (also smaller frame, and probably a guard at the next level) will be there. 

So if Remmers plays guard, one of these players seems likely to be starting at tackle week one in Philadelphia: 

• Rashod Hill
  • Kolton Miller (1st-2nd)
  • Tyrell Crosby (late 1st or 2nd)
  • Jamarco Jones (2nd or 3rd)

I like Jones quite a bit and Crosby not as much from what I've seen of them. Crosby is a very good run blocker and moves well but he doesn't really do drop back pass blocking in Oregon's scheme. Jones is solid but he has his own flaws (ducking his head, lunging) and he's not nearly as strong or quick on his feet as Miller. 

With two teams drafting right after them who need tackles -- Patriots and Eagles -- seems like #30 isn't a bad spot to draft a tackle. And waiting to day 2 probably puts them out of range of anyone who could potentially start as a rookie. 

If they did take Miller, I'd keep him at LT and move Reiff back to the right side. Draft an IOL on day 2 and go with: 

Miller - Easton - Elflein - Remmers - Reiff

and eventually

Miller - Corbett (or Ragnow or whoever) - Elflein - Remmers - Reiff

If you don't like 2 rookies on the same side, how about

Miller - Remmers - Elflein - Teller (or Ragnow or whoever) - Reiff

My main thoughts on this situation which I've voiced before are that I hope they don't force Remmers inside to Guard. Let the draft dictate where he plays. In this draft, I think it will be much easier to find a day 1 starter at Guard than it is at tackle, but if we take Miller and he steps in and looks good that's great.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I haven’t seen any report suggesting that the Vikings are planning on moving Remmers to guard, merely it’s been brought up as an option, giving the team some flexibility. 

Given the raw nature of Miller’s game, I’d be much more inclined to draft an interior offensive lineman, like Hernandez or Price, at 30 and leave Remmers at tackle. Maybe address the tackle position on day two with a player like Crosby, Okorafor, Jones, or maybe even O’Neill. 

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=pa remmers guard&src=typd

Might just be a smokescreen so they don't officially have any "holes" or "needs" heading into the draft, as long as you believe that Hill starting at RT isn't a hole. Paul Allen's made a lot of correct predictions about the Vikings personnel moves, so I take what he's saying as a reasonably strong indication that that's their actual plan for the time being. 

O'Neill isn't strong enough to play in the NFL anytime soon. Really doubt that Crosby makes it to #62, and Jones might not either. I haven't watched Okorafor yet but what I've heard wasn't super encouraging. 

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

My main thoughts on this situation which I've voiced before are that I hope they don't force Remmers inside to Guard. Let the draft dictate where he plays. In this draft, I think it will be much easier to find a day 1 starter at Guard than it is at tackle, but if we take Miller and he steps in and looks good that's great.

Sure, I'd be fine with drafting Hernandez (or whoever) and leaving Remmers outside. 

Miller does look really good in that USC game, if you have a chance to watch it. 

Hmm, I missed this yesterday -- Tomasson reports the Vikings are interested in locking up Easton long term. 

Assuming that would be a deal for starter money, the OL would look like 

Reiff - Easton - Elflein - Remmers - X

or

Reiff - Easton - Elflein - X - Remmers

depending on where Remmers plays, and they'd only have one hole to fill in the draft this year, RG/RT. 

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

What are people's thoughts and projected round on Louisville OT Geron Christian? 

I've often had the Vikings taking him in the 5th round.  He may go earlier than that because of the lack of depth at the OT position, but that's where he's fallen for me in those instances where they weren't able to grab an OT earlier.   

5 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I think we could trade down and pick up Price. Doubt he’d be there with our 2nd pick though.

I am expecting the Vikings to trade back 5-10 spots, regain a 4th round pick, and select Price with their 1st pick in the draft. 

Archived