2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Offensive Line

swede700

55 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

? They didn't need gerhart, nor did they need to trade up for him. And cook was a terrible pick. 

The defense is not getting younger, they have a QB for how long? Let's be realistic, unless a team  has a franchise QB, their windows are small. Can  you name teams in this era that are legit SB contends year after year that don't have a franchise QB?

We lost Taylor and traded up in the draft to draft Gerhart.  A simple google search will show that.  We ran a two back backfield with Peterson and Chester Taylor.  Taylor handled all the pass protection responsibilities.    Wasn't long until we had Gerhart out on the field as our 3rd down back.  Cedric Griffin tears his ACL and we use our 1st selection on a Cook.  That was a draft for need because our "window" was closing due to Favre and our defense aging.  It is like deja vu all over again.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

Who on our team is aging?

This time it isn't actual age but because of the timing of contracts.  Same win now, one year window, or else mindset. 

I trust Spielman not to Childress this draft by dumping everything into the offensive line.

9 hours ago, Krauser said:

Remmers was noticeably better than Easton last year, and I say that as a longtime fan of Easton. He struggled with his run blocking at the end of the year, after the back injury and concussion, but his pass blocking was solid. 

Easton might improve, but for now I’d like to see them have enough quality at guard that he’d be the IOL backup. 

Agree that they’d ideally be able to upgrade from Remmers, but for now he’s a decent starter. They need to eliminate weak links (Easton last year) and add some better top end talent (they have none right now — closest thing is Elflein if he improves as hoped). If Remmers could be the worst starter on the OL, instead of one of the best like last year, they’d be in good shape. 

I thought Remmers looked ok at guard in the play-offs, but what I saw at RT was not even bad starter level. (he may have improved I don't live in Minnesota and only get to see a few games a year with work and everything)...which furthers my opinion that OT is our #1 need.

If you didn’t think Remmers was playing at an above average level at tackle, then I don’t know what you were watching. Or have been watching the last 3 years. 

Remmers was very good before his injury, and came back at a strong level before he was needed at guard. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

If you didn’t think Remmers was playing at an above average level at tackle, then I don’t know what you were watching. Or have been watching the last 3 years. 

Remmers was very good before his injury, and came back at a strong level before he was needed at guard. 

He graded out as pff's #40 tackle and below average.  I guess that makes him a meh starter.  But every time I get a change to watch it seems like RT is an issue no matter who is there including Remmers. 

Vikings fans overrate both Remmers and Reiff, IMO, owing to the years of awful tackle play they have been subjected to prior to Remmers and Reiff last year. Neither of the tackles were great but tackle play that even approached average looked pretty good to people that have watched the Vikings a heavy percentage of the times they watched NFL games the last several years.

Reiff is average. Remmers is below average IMO. That is fine for now, but the team needs to improve the offensive line overall. It wouldn't bother me at all if the team drafted four offensive linemen. I don't understand thinking that depth at other positions is more important than depth on the offensive line. For the Vikings, the offensive line depth wouldn't even be behind above average talent. Depth offensive linemen would have a batter chance of beating out current starters sooner.

All that said, I hope the team doesn't draft offensive linemen just because they could use four more of them. That is not a great way to draft. If they draft linemen because the linemen are as good or better than the other guys they could draft at a spot it makes sense to me until they have 4 more offensive linemen. One thing that gives me serious pause is the Vikings apparent lack of skill in the scouting department at evaluating and projecting offensive linemen. If they haven't changed something significant about how they go about that process any draft pick spent on the offensive line has a pretty high chance of being a waste of roster space until they finally cut their losses and get rid of the bum.

I kinda hated eating a bit 'o crow on the O-line last year.  I really didn't think Sparano could get the O-line to improve a ton, but he did.  Obviously, Elflein was THEE major factor of improved line play.  When he was in, calls were made at the line that helped the QBs, and the run game was actually pretty good. The interior O-line FINALLY measured-up to average standards.  I also think Keenum's escapability made the O-line look better than they really were individually.

I'm glad to see Berger retire.  That really opens the door for the Vikes to grab a good OG.  BUT . . . they could easily draft OT.   Hernandez or McGlinchey would be my preference in Rd 1.  However, if they pick OL in Rnds 2 and/or 3, Price could well be available in 2, with Corbett available in Rds 3 or 4?

I do have to go homer-ville with a dark horse . . . what if the Vikes drafted Dallas Goedert, TE, SDSU ---- thee South Dakota State Jackrabbit in Rd 1?  Before I get scorched . . . lol, my line of thought is give the Vikes a true back-up to Rudolph and someone who can live on a rookie contract while Rudolph keeps earning his pay.  Plus, Goedert would really give them a 2nd pass-catching TE option.  Seems like that's a nasty duo.  

Oh, and a really intriguing OG prospect to me is Colby Gossett from Appalachian St.  32 reps, 5.20 40-yd dash . . . and nearly 11" hands with 34" arms at 311 lbs.  If he were targeted in the 4th, I think he would be a steal.  Of course, there'd have to be a trade up -- or back from Rd 3 --- to get him there.  

Check his numbers vs Will Hernandez . . . interesting!  And if he slipped to Rd 5?  wow.

21 hours ago, Freakout said:

We lost Taylor and traded up in the draft to draft Gerhart.  A simple google search will show that.  We ran a two back backfield with Peterson and Chester Taylor.  Taylor handled all the pass protection responsibilities.    Wasn't long until we had Gerhart out on the field as our 3rd down back.  Cedric Griffin tears his ACL and we use our 1st selection on a Cook.  That was a draft for need because our "window" was closing due to Favre and our defense aging.  It is like deja vu all over again.

That window did close, didn't it? When were they super bowl contenders after that? Just like Peterson's window closed, and they didn't act on him in time.....

17 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I do have to go homer-ville with a dark horse . . . what if the Vikes drafted Dallas Goedert, TE, SDSU ---- thee South Dakota State Jackrabbit in Rd 1?

The things I saw from Goedert make me hope the Vikings get him, but the first round? That sounds silly to me. The way SDSU laid down for James Madison in the semifinals also points to Goedert being a good fit for the Vikings.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

The things I saw from Goedert make me hope the Vikings get him, but the first round? That sounds silly to me. The way SDSU laid down for James Madison in the semifinals also points to Goedert being a good fit for the Vikings.

Goedert was hurt, Wieneke was hurt. They were way outmatched entering even with those two healthy. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Goedert was hurt, Wieneke was hurt. They were way outmatched entering even with those two healthy. 

I don't want to take this further off topic. Apologies about the statement about the semifinal matchup. JMU was a solid team. We should discuss Goedert (and Weineke if you want) in the correct threads. They were both solid players the few times I watched them play (usually just once a year; almost a second time this year).

Right now the Vikings line looks to be Reiff, Easton, Elflein, Remmers, and Hill backed up by Compton, Isidora, Collins. That is not an inspiring set of starters backed up by a scary set of question marks. There is plenty of issues on that line to talk about. It doesn't look like the Vikings are going to do much about it in free agency so we have to focus on the draft and possibly a trade for a veteran. This being about the draft, I like the depth I see in the draft at guard. Traditionally there are not many guards drafted in the first round. Teams can often find starting caliber players later in the draft. However, the later the pick is the longer it usually takes to develop the players. The Vikings haven't been great at developing talent on the line. Either that or the scouting staff has been terrible at identifying players with potential to develop.

We have seen the offensive line coach turn over now. If we don't see some serious player development on the line I would like to see the Vikings completely overhaul the way they evaluate college linemen and bring in scouting staff that have proven to be able to project linemen to the pros. We do not see a lot of information to give us an idea of which scouts may be good at this but I hope the Vikings are already exploring options that will have contracts expiring and looking at their resume as far as scouting offensive linemen.

Archived