Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I like a lot of these moves, because a good deal of the guys we're grabbing are low-end starters. It lets us go BPA with all of our picks outside of number 1. 

Well, I do hope that whichever QB they settle on qualifies as "BPA".......for that position anyways.  :) 

I could careless about the combine for Browns. How does the private workout go and how the coaches like him. 

Yeah 14reps isn’t great but with those long arms of his, 225 is tough, he still should of been closer to 20. 35in arms is lanky as hell. They are 1.25 inches longer than Joe Thomas. I know that Browns’s foundational strength and playing strength is a lot better than what he does in the weight room. His game tape is too good

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So? I gave another example, probably the best example of a between the tackles runner in the NFL in the last 10-20 years.

Apparently Beast Mode didn't get the memo at 5'11 and 215.

It's DEFINITELY a plus, but some of the best between the tackles runners are 215. 

Like I said, AD and Marshawn are definitely on the list. Throw in a 207 pound Shady McCoy and a 5'9 216 pound Frank Gore and you're starting to look a little foolish.

Again, Lesean McCoy has spend half of his career on the injury list because he is a 207lb RB that ran between the tackles. Your also pointing to a lot of guys who are older. Im talking about in current days NFL, the current elite 1st and 2nd down RBs since everybody gets bigger and stonger as the game evolves, are ALL (minus Hunt for the 4th time) 6 foot+ 220+

Who are these current 'best between the tackles runners that are 215". All current RBs that are below 220lbs are primarily used as compliments (Kamara) and on pass catching roles. I may be missing one but the only 2 that even pop into my mind are Hunt and Freeman while there is a far bigger list of guys who are equally good or better who are 220lbs+ 

15 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Don't see many people abusing a 6'8 345 lb. man child. I don't care how much he benches or how slow he is. At the place I'm coaching at right now (albeit this is HS), we have two overweight sloppy slow weak kids. Their punch power is far and away the strongest of anyone on the team and we have some absolute workout warriors on the roster. These kids struggle to rep 185 on the bench press for a single rep but haven't had any problems with power. I will sometimes for fun rush against them in practice (they're twins) and their punch power knocks me--and everyone else--off course with ease. Sometimes size and mass matter way more than actual strength. And bench press is a pretty useless marker for translatable strength. I'd like to see his power clean and dead lift numbers before I give a crap about his bench press.

It’s not an indicator of power, but general strength and time spent in the gym. By 20 something years old, at his size 225 should be a breeze if he’s hitting the weights and working hard to improve his body,

If being massive is all that matters, Zach Banner is gonna be the goat.  But it isn’t. And he won’t.  Neither will Brown unless he develops his body. I’m not saying he can’t be good, just that he needs to be viewed more as a day 3 developmental player than a plug and play starter right now.

Orlando Brown doesn't frighten me nearly as much as some of the other OT prospects.

Just because others are bad doesn’t mean he’s good.

All of the top OT's have issues that manifest themselves over and over again on their game tapes. Orlando Brown has much better game tape than all four of the OT's that are generally being put ahead of him.

Great college tape, no doubt, but there is some amount of projection required for draft prospects. He’s the fattest, slowest, weakest, and least physically explosive player in the history of the combine’s testing.  Either that means something or the combine has just been an excuse to look at dudes with their pocket sausage stuffed in spandex for decades.

57 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think we draft an OT now. We've invested a lot in the position and already have 4 guys on the roster that deserve to play in the NFL.

LT: Thomas/Coleman

RT: Hubbard/Johnson

*plus we signed Donald Stephenson to play a swing T role

This isn't the greatest OT class in the world. I'd be totally fine with waiting it out and drafting a LT in 2019 if Shon Coleman doesn't look like he can play there.

Mid rounds I think we might. Unless there is a top 5 on our boards in the mid 2nd... 

That is all

mastercheddaar

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I could careless

Huh?

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Yeah 14reps isn’t great but with those long arms of his, 225 is tough, he still should of been closer to 20. 35in arms is lanky as hell. They are 1.25 inches longer than Joe Thomas. I know that Browns’s foundational strength and playing strength is a lot better than what he does in the weight room. His game tape is too good

https://birdbreakdown.com/2014/02/27/are-long-arms-bad-for-bench-pressing-not-so-fast/

12 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

And how long are your arms compared to his?  

Aside from the MYTH that is arm length (https://birdbreakdown.com/2014/02/27/are-long-arms-bad-for-bench-pressing-not-so-fast/), I'd say my strength to size ratio is much larger than his.

Look I'm not saying he isn't in need of some quality NFL conditioning/strength training

Sounds like you're making a convenient excuse for him.

- but the combine doesn't begin to tell the whole story on him.  

No, but it is a red flag and cause for concern. It's the worst combine ANYONE has ever had.

Thats why I don't put much into the combine ... it identifies athletes, misses out on football players (too lazy to find the stills/vids of Tom Bradys combine, but you get the idea)  

Ah, yes, because every example of why the combine is useless goes back to Tom Brady, a guy who's own college coaches didn't evaluate properly. The combine isn't the end all/be all, but it still has it's place. It tells everyone that Zeus is a HORRIFIC athlete and that's a huge cause for concern.

But Brown doesn’t have the best OT tape

if we put Quenton Nelson through  PW and you see Tweets like

”Nelson showed outstanding athleticism during workout” 

id book at him 4

Branden Albert did it who Dorsey had in Kansas City didn’t draft him but he was there 

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Again, Lesean McCoy has spend half of his career on the injury list because he is a 207lb RB that ran between the tackles.

*Double Checks*

Listed David Johnson, Fournette who was hurt a bunch last year, and LeVeon Bell who has missed significant time with injuries. 

HILARIOUS

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

But Brown doesn’t have the best OT tape

if we put Quenton Nelson through  PW and you see Tweets like

”Nelson showed outstanding athleticism during workout” 

id book at him 4

Branden Albert did it who Dorsey had in Kansas City didn’t draft him but he was there 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/quenton-nelson?id=2559948

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Branden&l=Albert&i=7855

i know athletes are different now a days 

but Nelson is larger and more athletic in every way. 

If he checks the boxes in a PW and is open to the move I’d do it and not look back his tape is fantastic 

32 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Don't see many people abusing a 6'8 345 lb. man child. I don't care how much he benches or how slow he is. At the place I'm coaching at right now (albeit this is HS), we have two overweight sloppy slow weak kids. Their punch power is far and away the strongest of anyone on the team and we have some absolute workout warriors on the roster. These kids struggle to rep 185 on the bench press for a single rep but haven't had any problems with power. I will sometimes for fun rush against them in practice (they're twins) and their punch power knocks me--and everyone else--off course with ease. Sometimes size and mass matter way more than actual strength. And bench press is a pretty useless marker for translatable strength. I'd like to see his power clean and dead lift numbers before I give a crap about his bench press.

Orlando Brown doesn't frighten me nearly as much as some of the other OT prospects.

Connor Williams lacks great length and tends to get grabby and lungey.

Brian O'Neill lunges on every single snap.

Mike McGlinchey can't mirror speed rushers to save his life despite being a pretty good athlete himself.

Kolton Miller has a major inconsistency problem and is weak in run blocking.

All of the top OT's have issues that manifest themselves over and over again on their game tapes. Orlando Brown has much better game tape than all four of the OT's that are generally being put ahead of him.

Oh, and check out Joe Noteboom from TCU if you're looking for a potential LT steal. He's got excellent athleticism and the cleanest kick step I've evaluated in a few years. He is postured up and ready to engage before the DE has a shot to engage. Plus he's built like a tank. Noteboom is going to start at LT for somebody methinks.

I'm with you on Noteboom, he looked really good at the combine and made me watch more film on him.

Archived