Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Looks like Marsh and Watson will be back unless we can push them off via FA. 

Curious what kind of tender we gave Mostert 

Mostert was original round tender I believe at 2 mil. So him being a UDFA makes him able to be signed with zero compensation. A little steep for a RB 3/ST guy but we have the space and injury prone RB 1 and 2 to justify it.

Edited by Fureys49ers

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Never missed a game in his 4 years from 2015-2018. Averaged 42 yards per punt and 80% FG rate. Longest FG is 58 yards. 1st among FBS kickers in career points. Only 1 blocked punt in his career (54 games!).

5'9" 214lbs

Does he have royal blood? Grew up in a tough neighbourhood? Just checking off boxes.

On a related note, we need a new LS.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Looks like Marsh and Watson will be back unless we can push them off via FA. 

Curious what kind of tender we gave Mostert 

It's odd that it's already an option year for Juice. I know he's getting a lot of money to be a FB, but I just love having him on the team. I guess we extend him next offseason. The next contract might not be as expensive. He's smart enough to understand we vastly overpaid him, and his extension should be more in line with the market value. And if I were him, I'd take a pay cut to stick around and be a part of what we're building. Juice is probably the reason why we don't really have to look too hard for a TE2. He is TE2 for the most part.

5 hours ago, rudyZ said:

It's odd that it's already an option year for Juice. I know he's getting a lot of money to be a FB, but I just love having him on the team. I guess we extend him next offseason. The next contract might not be as expensive. He's smart enough to understand we vastly overpaid him, and his extension should be more in line with the market value. And if I were him, I'd take a pay cut to stick around and be a part of what we're building. Juice is probably the reason why we don't really have to look too hard for a TE2. He is TE2 for the most part.

What I'm confused about is the proliferation of the use of "options" in the nfl, to be quite honest. I've never heard it used so often before this off season. I'm not even sure why it's considered an option. I mean, NFL contracts aren't guaranteed for the most part. For any contract year that doesn't have a base guarantee, every year on every contract is technically "an option". Is it just an optics thing where they are softening the verbage,  or are they legitimately putting options into contracts for some weird reason now when there isn't any difference from just cutting the guy? 

• Like 1

Strange about Earl Mitchell. Do they really think they can get anything in a trade after saying he's a goner and all the goodbyes in late January? 

Also, the Malcolm Smith thing is puzzling.. as I thought we had cap room and were stuck with his contract for another year. Now, we push money into extra years by restructuring? Show me the way, Marathe!  :/ 

14 hours ago, rudyZ said:

He's vastly overpaid for a fullback, if he can make the argument that he is a TE he is vastly underpaid. Or "offensive weapon" like they called him when they signed him. He is probably underpaid at 5 mil/year averaged honestly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

He's vastly overpaid for a fullback, if he can make the argument that he is a TE he is vastly underpaid. Or "offensive weapon" like they called him when they signed him. He is probably underpaid at 5 mil/year averaged honestly.

I think a full year with Garoppolo will show he is underpaid. Right now, considering his position/contributions, I would say he is worth what he is making. Shocking, as that's the one that seemed like the most absurd contract initially. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Mostert was original round tender I believe at 2 mil. So him being a UDFA makes him able to be signed with zero compensation. A little steep for a RB 3/ST guy but we have the space and injury prone RB 1 and 2 to justify it.

That's actually what I be wanted to do. 2 Mill, one year, right of first refusal. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

You'll mind it when he's still starting 😂😂

Well, I'm assuming that just happens if there are a few injuries. But for competition and just bodies we need in mini camp/training camp, this is fine.