Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Staley play 3-4 more years if the team shows continued improvement. It's not wholly uncommon for good lineman to play 200+ games and Staley is at 171.  Outside looking in, Staley seems to have the strongest connection to this staff more-so than any other previous coaching staff. He's also been rewarded financially, he's remained relatively injury free and his athleticism hasn't really seen much of a drop off. He may not be the consistently elite guy we're use too, but he's still probably a top 10 OT in the league.

I just really really want our staff to focus on O-line depth after we address the pass rush. Come 3rd or 4th round, I would be very much ok with drafting another tackle. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Staley play 3-4 more years if the team shows continued improvement. It's not wholly uncommon for good lineman to play 200+ games and Staley is at 171.  Outside looking in, Staley seems to have the strongest connection to this staff more-so than any other previous coaching staff. He's also been rewarded financially, he's remained relatively injury free and his athleticism hasn't really seen much of a drop off. He may not be the consistently elite guy we're use too, but he's still probably a top 10 OT in the league.

I just really really want our staff to focus on O-line depth after we address the pass rush. Come 3rd or 4th round, I would be very much ok with drafting another tackle. 

2 more seasons is probably all I'm willing to commit to right now. 200 games seems about the cap for a lot of these guys. 

Walter Jones - 180

Ogden - 177

Whitworth - Currently at 196, and from what I have seen, it looks like his play has regressed a bit this year. Obviously still competent, but looks like he's slipping. 

Pace - 169

Thomas - 167

Roaf - 157

Willie Anderson - 195

So he's definitely coming up on the end of the string at this point I would have to imagine. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

2 more seasons is probably all I'm willing to commit to right now. 200 games seems about the cap for a lot of these guys. 

Walter Jones - 180

Ogden - 177

Whitworth - Currently at 196, and from what I have seen, it looks like his play has regressed a bit this year. Obviously still competent, but looks like he's slipping. 

Pace - 169

Thomas - 167

Roaf - 157

Willie Anderson - 195

So he's definitely coming up on the end of the string at this point I would have to imagine. 

Can sort by position

Yeah, two seasons seems most realistic, but wouldn't surprise me to see him go 3 and consider 4. 

Just now, John232 said:

Can sort by position

Yeah, two seasons seems most realistic, but wouldn't surprise me to see him go 3 and consider 4. 

Nah, if he's playing at a high level, I could see him doing that. He seems like he generally loves football and the 49ers. So if he's still got it in him, may as well keep playing lol. But two more years of Staley would be nice to be honest. I think he'll play out this contract (up after next year), and then sign a 2 years deal where the second year is flexible for both parties. I think that's the best way to go about it for all parties involved. 

Just now, Forge said:

Nah, if he's playing at a high level, I could see him doing that. He seems like he generally loves football and the 49ers. So if he's still got it in him, may as well keep playing lol. But two more years of Staley would be nice to be honest. I think he'll play out this contract (up after next year), and then sign a 2 years deal where the second year is flexible for both parties. I think that's the best way to go about it for all parties involved. 

Makes the most sense. Would love to see him in another playoff run. 

I feel like an OL getting into the HoF is so much more a team award than most other positions. Joe has a shot if we get a couple more winning seasons and win a Superbowl. If not, it's hard to justify it. He has never dominated or been considered the best in the league at his position. Honestly, I don't think he makes it. And it's not particularly close.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good to hear. Sucks he won't play the rest of the season but all that means is more time for Moore. 

Best case scenario in my mind. If Moore turns in two more solid games over the last 3 weeks, it doesn't force us to find a CB who can challenge Witherspoon for the starting job - Moore vs. Witherspoon can be the necessary competition in camp and we can look for another young back to round out the squad. Neither young cornerback gets complacent and we can use our resources where it's needed.

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Best case scenario in my mind. If Moore turns in two more solid games over the last 3 weeks, it doesn't force us to find a CB who can challenge Witherspoon for the starting job - Moore vs. Witherspoon can be the necessary competition in camp and we can look for another young back to round out the squad. Neither young cornerback gets complacent and we can use our resources where it's needed.

I still want to either sign a CB in free agency or draft one in the first three rounds regardless of how Moore does. More good corners the better. And we will always have injuries. Sherman will be 31 years old and while he has been good, no clue if he falls off next year or not or gets hurt. I mean he has missed what three games this year? Spoon and Moore have those slight frames where they can easily be banged up as well.

I'm confident in our corner group of Spoon/Sherman/Moore/Reed even if we don't add anyone. Because once the pass rush improves, the secondary will improve. I'm more concerned getting a legit free safety. That is what makes the secondary really go in this scheme. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good to hear. Sucks he won't play the rest of the season but all that means is more time for Moore. 

I'm glad he ended his season playing well, though. If he had gotten injured after a couple of bad games, I would have been more worried. But he had picked up his play, and that's good. Even better if Moore can play well to finish out the year, so he'll know he has to work very hard to keep his job. And Moore, having been on the bench all year, knows what it's like to wait for his chance to come, so he also has to work his *** off. 

My guess is that we'll draft another tweener, CB/S. After all, Jimmie Ward will be gone, I assume. Tartt can't be relied upon. Sign Earl Thomas, have Tartt as the other starter, unless Colbert or Harris steals the job away.

5 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm glad he ended his season playing well, though. If he had gotten injured after a couple of bad games, I would have been more worried. But he had picked up his play, and that's good. Even better if Moore can play well to finish out the year, so he'll know he has to work very hard to keep his job. And Moore, having been on the bench all year, knows what it's like to wait for his chance to come, so he also has to work his *** off. 

My guess is that we'll draft another tweener, CB/S. After all, Jimmie Ward will be gone, I assume. Tartt can't be relied upon. Sign Earl Thomas, have Tartt as the other starter, unless Colbert or Harris steals the job away.

I'd like another SS/nickel and dime linebacker type. Would provide more natural depth behind Tartt and help with non-Warner TE and RB coverage issues. 

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

I'd like another SS/nickel and dime linebacker type. Would provide more natural depth behind Tartt and help with non-Warner TE and RB coverage issues. 

Harris is good enough as a back-up and at nickel we have Reed and Williams. We need to add linebackers because Nzeocha and Lee/Smith are just not good enough. We need starting linebackers way more than another back-up for Tartt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Harris is good enough as a back-up and at nickel we have Reed and Williams. We need to add linebackers because Nzeocha and Lee/Smith are just not good enough. We need starting linebackers way more than another back-up for Tartt.

Apologies if I was unclear, I meant nickel and dime linebacker, not the 5th defensive back that covers the slot receiver. I agree. We do not need more of those. 

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

Apologies if I was unclear, I meant nickel and dime linebacker, not the 5th defensive back that covers the slot receiver. I agree. We do not need more of those. 

Ah yeah that makes sense but we really need to upgrade at linebacker no matter what. Warner is good and can be a real leader for this defense with his smarts and overall solid game but we need to get a game changer next to him. The thing with screen passes and guys leaking out of the backfield on passing runs is also a thing that comes with this defensive scheme. This scheme is made on limiting the big plays and getting a team get bored of taking those small gains and force them in making stupid decisions which is why discipline and sure tackling is so important. So we need to get a guy that can blow those up as quick as possible like Foster did last year.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I still want to either sign a CB in free agency or draft one in the first three rounds regardless of how Moore does. More good corners the better. And we will always have injuries. Sherman will be 31 years old and while he has been good, no clue if he falls off next year or not or gets hurt. I mean he has missed what three games this year? Spoon and Moore have those slight frames where they can easily be banged up as well.

I'm confident in our corner group of Spoon/Sherman/Moore/Reed even if we don't add anyone. Because once the pass rush improves, the secondary will improve. I'm more concerned getting a legit free safety. That is what makes the secondary really go in this scheme. 

I agree on the FS part, but not a first three rounds corner. That's exactly why I am happy Moore played well and gets the chance to continue. He and Witherspoon ARE 3rd round corners. Witherspoon playing very well lately and Moore finishing strong would negate that need to spend another 3rd on a CB. Get one later for depth. Either Moore or Witherspoon won't be on the field with Sherman there. Neither would a third 3rd round pick. Would much rather use the first three rounds to find pass rushers, a linebacker, and another threat at WR (more concerned about depth there). Maybe a second TE threat. A permanent interior lineman for either depth or to push Richburg/Person. A replacement for McGlinchey at RT. Maybe a FS if free agency doesn't work out.

If we can find a corner in free agency, awesome. I'm all for that. Moore's emergence wouldn't make it a necessity is all.

• Like 2