Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well damn lol.

I thought he would be one of the guys getting an extension, but now we're paying him and Garcon decent amount of money. Can't see us going after Robinson or Watkins now. 

Eh, I could see us still going after Robinson. He still fits a pretty big need for us, add in injury histories of both Garcon and Goodwin and eventhough we look solid at receiver, could still stand to be much better.

But yeah, I'm  a bit worried if this takes us out of the AR15 conversation. I don't think it does though..

19 minutes ago, John232 said:

Eh, I could see us still going after Robinson. He still fits a pretty big need for us, add in injury histories of both Garcon and Goodwin and eventhough we look solid at receiver, could still stand to be much better.

But yeah, I'm  a bit worried if this takes us out of the AR15 conversation. I don't think it does though..

My only thing is if Shanny and the crew really believe in paying 25+ million to the WR position. I'd guess to say no. Then again, hard to know what he values on the offensive side of the ball lol. 

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

My only thing is if Shanny and the crew really believe in paying 25+ million to the WR position. I'd guess to say no. Then again, hard to know what he values on the offensive side of the ball lol. 

The thing I keep reminding myself of is that any contract we can get out of in the next 4 years, is gravy. It's all about working around Buckner because he's the next guy that's going to cost 18 million+. When it's his time to get extended, that's when we have to start making fiscally conscious decisions..so they could still go with AR15 and Garcon could be taken off the books or restructured for minimal impact. Goodwin would be off the books as well. 

Edited by John232
edits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I think so given that we still seem reticent to pony up for Brown at this point and I haven't heard anything about us even talking. Personally, Brown would be more of a priority to me, but then again, I think I'm more sold on him than the staff lol. 

So I would think Tartt is next man up as he played really well and the staff seems to love him. 

Honestly, I think (and maybe fear? or maybe not, I'm divided on Trent) that Brown may be dangled for a trade. Kyle would probably prefer a better run blocker. Maybe that's why he openly praised him as the best pass blocker he's ever seen. If we were negotiating with his agent for an extension, that's the kind of thing I would hope the HC doesn't say publicly, as it's an argument that helps his agent tremendously. That's the kind of thing Harbaugh would say probably just to screw with Baalke. But Kyle is too smart for that, I hope. So if he's praising Trent, I feel like it's meant to increase his trade value, not his contract value. Then we pick his replacement in the draft, a more athletic and more efficient run blocker, who can still hold his own in the passing game, helped out by Jimmy's quick release. And we gave Gilliam a two year contract with decent money, maybe to start the year at RT while the rookie learns the rope. There are many pieces to this puzzle that kind of make sense. The praise of Trent, the re-signing of Gilliam, the slooooow negotiation for a new contract... maybe I just watch too many conspiracy documentaries, but I feel there's something there.

I can't say I'd be terribly sad either. Brown has flashed greatness in pass protection, but he has also been very inconsistent. If we trade him, will he turn into a perennial probowler, or a middle of the road tackle? I guess it depends on the team and the offense, but I don't really feel like it's going to be with us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Honestly, I think (and maybe fear? or maybe not, I'm divided on Trent) that Brown may be dangled for a trade. Kyle would probably prefer a better run blocker. Maybe that's why he openly praised him as the best pass blocker he's ever seen. If we were negotiating with his agent for an extension, that's the kind of thing I would hope the HC doesn't say publicly, as it's an argument that helps his agent tremendously. That's the kind of thing Harbaugh would say probably just to screw with Baalke. But Kyle is too smart for that, I hope. So if he's praising Trent, I feel like it's meant to increase his trade value, not his contract value. Then we pick his replacement in the draft, a more athletic and more efficient run blocker, who can still hold his own in the passing game, helped out by Jimmy's quick release. And we gave Gilliam a two year contract with decent money, maybe to start the year at RT while the rookie learns the rope. There are many pieces to this puzzle that kind of make sense. The praise of Trent, the re-signing of Gilliam, the slooooow negotiation for a new contract... maybe I just watch too many conspiracy documentaries, but I feel there's something there.

I can't say I'd be terribly sad either. Brown has flashed greatness in pass protection, but he has also been very inconsistent. If we trade him, will he turn into a perennial probowler, or a middle of the road tackle? I guess it depends on the team and the offense, but I don't really feel like it's going to be with us.

I'm absolutely 100% behind your thinking making sense here. I am not a huge fan of unloading Brown at this point just based on current roster,  but I would totally understand it, though I'd be less than psyched if we got anything less than a second for him. 

I am so unbelievably stoked that we resigned Goodwin to a contract exactly $1.7M less than the one I wanted to offer: 

On 12/28/2017 at 2:23 PM, y2lamanaki said:

And I would rather buy now while the market is still relatively low. Would he accept something like a 3 year/$22M/$10M guaranteed bonus? If so, and if he routinely hits around 1,000 yards, it seems worth it.

• Like 2

Nice call, y2. I was impressed with Goodwin and liked this deal.

If SF is to spend big money on one outside FA this offseason, I would rather it be at CB or LB. I no longer trust in Foster. (or possibly even IOL if the right vet is amenable)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I am so unbelievably stoked that we resigned Goodwin to a contract exactly $1.7M less than the one I wanted to offer: 

LOL, wow, impressive prognosticating. 

I still feel the same as I did in that thread. Could be better, could be worse. 

Just now, oldman9er said:

Nice call, y2. I was impressed with Goodwin and liked this deal.

If SF is to spend big money on one outside FA this offseason, I would rather it be at CB or LB. I no longer trust in Foster. (or possibly even IOL if the right vet is amenable)

If we get one elite guy, I'm hoping it's CB. I think that's the one that makes the most sense and is the largest need, and I'm not really a fan of the options likely to be around at #9. OG and LB are my next two desires. I'm good with either Smith or Edmunds at #9 and don't think Nelson will be available...so that's why I have my FA hierarchy set as such. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

LOL, wow, impressive prognosticating. 

I still feel the same as I did in that thread. Could be better, could be worse. 

I feel the same, too. If he gives us what he gave us this year, I think he's a steal. Saw this earlier, too: 

I don't know that this means much to me, but it's an impressive group to be listed with. 

I just think too much is being placed on his Buffalo career, personally. Last year, I saw something special brewing with Garoppolo and Goodwin. And I'm just remembering back to the offseason/training camp last year when the beat writers were all raving about Goodwin, Taylor, and Kittle, and then seeing how those three played just as impressively with Jimmy at QB...I don't know. I've got a lot of faith. We'll see. I know we both hope I'm right on this :-)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I feel the same, too. If he gives us what he gave us this year, I think he's a steal. Saw this earlier, too: 

I don't know that this means much to me, but it's an impressive group to be listed with. 

I just think too much is being placed on his Buffalo career, personally. Last year, I saw something special brewing with Garoppolo and Goodwin. And I'm just remembering back to the offseason/training camp last year when the beat writers were all raving about Goodwin, Taylor, and Kittle, and then seeing how those three played just as impressively with Jimmy at QB...I don't know. I've got a lot of faith. We'll see. I know we both hope I'm right on this :-)

Not alone in your thinking of the highlighted, or in the entire paragraph. Hoping for a dominant SF season, and nasty NFCW battles between the Lambs and what's left of the Hawks. :) 

I still think the 49ers could draft a guy early with a lot of potential. If not, that is fine. Jimmy G was putting up 300 yards a game with the current group while only knowing a phrasebook of Shanahan's offensive language. 

Edited by PapaShogun

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I still think the 49ers could draft a guy early with a lot of potential. If not, that is fine. Jimmy G was putting up 300 yards a game with the current group while only knowing a phrasebook of Shanahan's offensive language. 

I can totally see it too. Garçon will be 32 when the season starts. It only makes sense to be looking ahead and draft someone who will be able to learn from a true pro's pro. I wouldn't mind someone raw with a very high ceiling.