Jags Extending Blake Bortles

bigbadbuff23835

Does this deal necessarily take them out of the running for Cousins?  I think they would still be able to try and get Cousins and then deal Bortles for a late pick to clear cap space if they are able to get Cousins.  This Bortles extension just gives them an insurance policy if they can’t find an upgrade, but I think having Bortles on a multi year deal with outs makes makes him more moveable than if he were on just a 5th year option.

Hmmm- patiently awaiting the shrill and hysterical response from Blake's Biggest Fanboy, a torrent of typing and selective use of obscure statistics defending to the Death Bortles' grace, skills, manly beauty, grotesque throwing motion, sexy bald spot, endless contributions to the city of Jacksonville, good-humored bonhomie, pleasant shower baritone, and general fitness for a huge contract, and more years to lead the Jaguars to that elusive Valhalla of the Super Bowl!

O, Blake Bortles- come forth from the Ultimates, and lead thy children of Jacksonville to the Promised Land!!!!!

Image result for blake bortles

17 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So in essence they are basically on the hook for an additional 7M (2yrs) on top of the 19M he was Guaranteed March 14th? Not bad really considering I believe he was getting that regardless once he had his surgery.

They just watched a backup QB in Nick Foles Win a SB. Probably have dreams and aspirations of Bortles somehow doing the same while not spending a extra 80-100M on Cousins.

Makes sense but only if they take off the Training Wheels and stop treating him like 2 yr old. Can't play "not to make a mistake" rather then Playing to Win. They found that out the hard way vs the Patriots.

Just now, titans0021 said:

Because they're arguably in the best position to chase a ring that they're going to be. They put themselves in a position where they could afford a big-money quarterback while still having the vast majority of their core locked up. All this is doing is kicking the QB can down the road, and by the time Bortles is out, you're no longer going to be able to afford a significant QB contract because that wealth of talent that needs extensions is coming due. Yes, Cousins might have cost you some of your talent three years down the line, but if he gives you a better chance at a SB (or even multiple SBs) in 2018-2020, isn't it worth it?

Exactly this. 

You've pretty much canned your chance at winning a Superbowl for the next two years. Longer if you don't draft a QB who can develop into a starter. Considering where you guys will be drafting that will be tough to do.

Cousins + that defense for the next few years, then losing a defender or two after that is way more enticing than Bortles plus the defense as it is right now.

4 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

He also had a great defense and a pretty good running game. The Jags basically tried to hide him for most of the year. The guy is a back-up, a back up that you're stuck with for the next 2 years. You're going to waste the short window that your defense has instead of just looking to upgrade the position.

They didn't ask much of him and he was one of the smallest contributors to their success. Put Josh Mccown on the Jaguars last year and I don't think there's a dropoff.

Bortles had an interesting finish to the season, certainly wasn't the problem in the playoffs. The Jags really aren't paying him that much in terms of guaranteed money, almost makes me think that Lamar Jackson could be a real option for them in the draft. With Robinson/Westbrook/Cole potential attack next year, Bortles might just look decent next year.

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

im just saying its awful funny for a Titans fan to say a QB sucks when their QB was a Clear Worse then Bortles. 

Again, what does the ability of another player on my favorite team have to do with Bortles?

Nothing, you just look foolish bringing it up.

3 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

He also had a great defense and a pretty good running game. The Jags basically tried to hide him for most of the year. The guy is a back-up, a back up that you're stuck with for the next 2 years. You're going to waste the short window that your defense has instead of just looking to upgrade the position.

Except he didn't have a good running game. Look at our YPC from like week 10 through the end of the season. Fournette got hurt week 8 or 9 (I'm forgetting) and wasn't the same guy until Pittsburgh.

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

im just saying its awful funny for a Titans fan to say a QB sucks when their QB was a Clear Worse then Bortles. 

I've always found this weird. Unless said Titans fan is legitimately Marcus Mariota, I'm not quite sure what the quarterback for the team he roots for has to do with his ability to form an opinion of Blake Bortles.

Archived