Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Jackson seems their likely option or possibly Rudolph

I mean if that is who they like then sure. But I hope Buffalo isn't thinking "ahh we missed on the top guys, better grab the next one".

Being that desperate is how they landed EJ Manuel. 

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I’m not sure those are good arguments for selling four top 2 round picks for a shot to draft one of this year’s QB’s.

If we believe everything about Lamar Jackson’s stock, he should be there for 22 and if the option is drafting him plus keeping the other three picks where I can plug gaps in my front seven, receiver and interior line versus one of Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold/Allen then I’m taking that all day long.

3 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Not a bad plan IMO, but because of the position, it still might require a small trade up to ensure getting him.

3 hours ago, mitch_connor said:

Yeah, I'll be mildly surprised if jackson is there in the 20s.

After MIA, the team that could go QB early would be ARI at 1.15.    If they land a Keenum-type FA (don't see them getting Cousins) then the order lines up where Jackson could fall to 21.   I don't for a second believe LAC will go QB - they need a T or run-stuffing DT who can push on pass downs (Vea, Payne).   With all the trades KC has made, LAC is the favortie for the AFCW this year.   With a win-now window that's wide open, and RIvers still looking like he's got 2-3 years of peak performance, I could see them go Rudolph/Falk/Lauletta/White on Day 2, but not Day 1 on QB.   Lynn's "we could go QB Rd1" earlier take IMO is meant to try and force teams to go QB ahead of them for Jackson as the 5th QB (Mayfield's done enough he won't fall past 1.15 for sure, more like 1.11) - enticing teams to believe they have to move up to get him, which only deepens LAC's non-QB pool to pick from - trying to get BPA and matching need.  Lying season in full swing IMO.

ARI is the wild card in drafting QB Rd1 - where Cousins/Keenum end up will influence where the Jackson sweet-spot ends up.   If I'm a BUF fan that wants Jackson but don't want them to move up to get him, I'd be praying ARI can find a legit FA they will commit to starting week 1 in 2018.

4 hours ago, mitch_connor said:

Yeah, I'll be mildly surprised if jackson is there in the 20s.

Honestly, he's one of the hardest to peg where he's going to go.  It's only going to take one team to fall in love with him, and given his skillset that could be a number of teams.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

After MIA, the team that could go QB early would be ARI at 1.15. 

If Lamar Jackson is there at 15 I don't know why Arizona wouldn't take him, even if they have a 2 year stop gap under contract. They don't have the best offensive line which is something that can be offset somewhat by his elusiveness/mobility, and it's just a good fit. With David Johnson healthy, they could lead the league in rushing if Jackson is their starter. 

I think Cousins goes to the Vikings and all the other QBs out there won't sign long enough contracts for QB needy teams to not pull the trigger.

I think all 5 go in the top 15.

1. Browns- Sam Darnold

2. Broncos- Josh Rosen

3. (Trade up) Bills- Josh Allen

4. Jets- Baker Mayfield

5. Cardinals- Lamar Jackson

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

If Lamar Jackson is there at 15 I don't know why Arizona wouldn't take him, even if they have a 2 year stop gap under contract. They don't have the best offensive line which is something that can be offset somewhat by his elusiveness/mobility, and it's just a good fit. With David Johnson healthy, they could lead the league in rushing if Jackson is their starter. 

I think Cousins goes to the Vikings and all the other QBs out there won't sign long enough contracts for QB needy teams to not pull the trigger.

I think all 5 go in the top 15.

1. Browns- Sam Darnold

2. Broncos- Josh Rosen

3. (Trade up) Bills- Josh Allen

4. Jets- Baker Mayfield

5. Cardinals- Lamar Jackson

The only reason they’d pass is if they committed big $ and multiple years to a guy like Keenum.   

ARI is in no mans land because they are far enough away the top 4 seem like a pipe dream.  They also are vulnerable to a team trading up to get Jackson.  And of course they have to make a decision on a guy like Keenum well before the draft. 

I’d personally wait until the draft and lock in on Jackson but I’m a gambler.  Hard to know what they will do.  Tough spot. 

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

ARI is in no mans land because they are far enough away the top 4 seem like a pipe dream.  They also are vulnerable to a team trading up to get Jackson.

You're right. I think Lamar Jackson is over the whole "Show teams I'm just a QB" thing and at his pro day he'll do everything. After that, when he reminds teams of his superstar potential, it could be an arms race in that top 10 for all 5 guys.

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

You're right. I think Lamar Jackson is over the whole "Show teams I'm just a QB" thing and at his pro day he'll do everything. After that, when he reminds teams of his superstar potential, it could be an arms race in that top 10 for all 5 guys.

I’m not quite there lol.  Big difference in moving up into the top 10.  But a team in serious need could consider moving past ARI.    We’ve seen it happen before.  They can’t feel certain who will be there.  That could force them to consider a Keenum like signing -  but the catch being they likely have to commit before the draft.  

So it’s a Q on how the ARI GM wants to address QB and how much he likes the Keenum tier vs. taking the risk that he’s on the outside if he wants to get a top 5 QB.  

30 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Keim would trade #15 for Ryan Tannehill before trading multiple 1st’s for Lamar Jackson.  He Tanney could probably had for two 2nd’s.

Why would ARI do that?  The scenario discussed was if Jackson would be there at 1.15 and if they would take him (getting a FA b4 and thus not taking him because they committed was the Q I had).    Personally, I think it's a stretch to lock into Jackson at 1.15 even if he's there (because ARI could go FA QB starter route), he could be there for BUF at 1.21/1.22  but need drives QB picks for sure.    

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Why would ARI do that?  The scenario discussed was if Jackson would be there at 1.15 and if they would take him (getting a FA b4 and thus not taking him because they committed was the Q I had).    Personally, I think it's a stretch to lock into Jackson at 1.15 even if he's there (because ARI could go FA QB starter route), he could be there for BUF at 1.21/1.22  but need drives QB picks for sure.    

My fault for browsing instead of reading.  I thought you had them trading up to #5.  Anyways Keim doesn’t draft QB’s and will go the veteran route especially over a project like Jackson.  Personally I think Jackson and McCoy would be a nice fit but i don’t see it happening.

19 hours ago, Broncofan said:

After MIA, the team that could go QB early would be ARI at 1.15.    If they land a Keenum-type FA (don't see them getting Cousins) then the order lines up where Jackson could fall to 21.   I don't for a second believe LAC will go QB - they need a T or run-stuffing DT who can push on pass downs (Vea, Payne).   With all the trades KC has made, LAC is the favortie for the AFCW this year.   With a win-now window that's wide open, and RIvers still looking like he's got 2-3 years of peak performance, I could see them go Rudolph/Falk/Lauletta/White on Day 2, but not Day 1 on QB.   Lynn's "we could go QB Rd1" earlier take IMO is meant to try and force teams to go QB ahead of them for Jackson as the 5th QB (Mayfield's done enough he won't fall past 1.15 for sure, more like 1.11) - enticing teams to believe they have to move up to get him, which only deepens LAC's non-QB pool to pick from - trying to get BPA and matching need.  Lying season in full swing IMO.

ARI is the wild card in drafting QB Rd1 - where Cousins/Keenum end up will influence where the Jackson sweet-spot ends up.   If I'm a BUF fan that wants Jackson but don't want them to move up to get him, I'd be praying ARI can find a legit FA they will commit to starting week 1 in 2018.

Arizona could be in line to get Mayfield if the Browns get Darnold, Denver gets Rosen and the Jets get Allen, Rosen and Allen through trades with the Giants and the Colts, unless one or both of them select QB's themselves!!! That would leave Arizona or possibly Buffalo to try for Mayfield, the loser getting Jackson.

Cousins has gone to Minny and Keenum could end up anywhere???

4 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Arizona could be in line to get Mayfield if the Browns get Darnold, Denver gets Rosen and the Jets get Allen, Rosen and Allen through trades with the Giants and the Colts, unless one or both of them select QB's themselves!!! That would leave Arizona or possibly Buffalo to try for Mayfield, the loser getting Jackson.

Cousins has gone to Minny and Keenum could end up anywhere???

Mayfield for sure could fall to 1.15, I think that’s his floor - that’s what I said above FWIW.   He could also go to NYJ/MIA so Jackson to ARI would be rookie plan B.  

ARI’s options are so diverse - but other than a 2nd level FA QB (Cousins being tier by himself) ARI doesn’t control their fate.  Tough spot to bank on a rookie (and they have to target and value them over a vet as others alluded to).  

On 3/5/2018 at 1:48 PM, BleedTheClock said:

They're not in a good position to sell the pick IMO. The two teams people expect to move up (Den/NYJ) aren't going to lose out on QB's if they don't trade up. And if the Jets wanted to leapfrog Denver, they could just do so at pick 3 or 4 for significantly less. Especially the Colts, who would be thrilled to move back to the 5/6 slot IMO.

I don't see the #2 pick having a lot of interest for what it'll likely cost. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Giants stay put and take Josh Rosen.

I disagree, the Giants need a lot of holes filled and extra top picks will look good to them and I believe they will trade out. The Colts are another story and it will all depend on the Doctor's assessment of Luck, if the Doctors give a thumbs up on Luck, then the Colts will trade their pick as well and both Denver and the Jets will be very happy campers with Rosen and Allen.

Arizona and Buffalo will set their sights on Mayfield and a bidding war will take place, the loser getting Jackson or possibly Rudolph.

The Browns will take Darold #1 overall, unless Allen blows them away at his pro day after spending 2 month with a pro type QB coach who has improved him so much that the Browns may be enticed!!!

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Mayfield for sure could fall to 1.15, I think that’s his floor - that’s what I said above FWIW.   He could also go to NYJ/MIA so Jackson to ARI would be rookie plan B.  

ARI’s options are so diverse - but other than a 2nd level FA QB (Cousins being tier by himself) ARI doesn’t control their fate.  Tough spot to bank on a rookie (and they have to target and value them over a vet as others alluded to).  

While Mayfield may indeed be a 15 talent, the demand for his services after Darnold, Allen and Rosen are gone, will drive his worth up into the 10 to 12 range where a huge bidding war will take place between Arizona and Buffalo. Buffalo has the extra picks to move up, but Arizona has the higher picks to offer, so some team will be getting an awful lot of extra assets on draft day.

The loser will settle for Jackson or possibly Keenum.

Archived