2018 NFL Combine Thread

flyingmonkey30

I would love to see Vea fall to us but I don't see it happening with the teams ahead of us and their tendencies  of drafting big defensive linemen. Harrison Phillips put up 42 reps and the kid had a 100 tackles last year for a defensive line man, he's got decent size @ 6-3" 307lbs. 34" arms could probably get him in the 2nd.

33 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Strong senior bowl too

Lets take this with a grain of salt though - he wheres his consistency been throughout his college career? Lot of tall, fast 40 guys have shot up boards and went higher than they should have...just to show that it means nothing if you cant separate and catch!

I havent watched the receivers much yet, but the little ive seen leaves me unimpressed with Chark.

We need a deep option, but you dont need 4.3 speed to be one. Deep threats is about positioning, route running, ball location, and the ability to catch a deep ball..not strsight line speed. This is not 1979.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Lets take this with a grain of salt though - he wheres his consistency been throughout his college career? Lot of tall, fast 40 guys have shot up boards and went higher than they should have...just to show that it means nothing if you cant separate and catch!

I havent watched the receivers much yet, but the little ive seen leaves me unimpressed with Chark.

We need a deep option, but you dont need 4.3 speed to be one. Deep threats is about positioning, route running, ball location, and the ability to catch a deep ball..not strsight line speed. This is not 1979.

I don't love Chark, but he's had a very strong offseason leading up to the draft. I don't think it's out of the question that he goes in the top 40 picks or so

47 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I don't love Chark, but he's had a very strong offseason leading up to the draft. I don't think it's out of the question that he goes in the top 40 picks or so

Yeah, he has skyrocketed with his 40 time, his senior bowl practice and the senior bowl stat line. But if Im an executive contemplating him in the draft, I want to know where his production and consistency has been throughout his college career.

Even Ted Ginn Jr managed to show up week by week in college, and he is no high end NFL receiver. 

Not to say an underperformer in college cant become an NFL star, but I am over cautiously when it comes to inconsistent players at the college level. If you cant find consistency against players who, 90% of them or more wont be playing football within the next 2-5 years, how can I expect to see consistency from them against the very best of the best college players who have gone on to become pro players?

I guess that is the gamble teams make when selecting a player based on what he has done in shorts and showcased when the spotlight was cast onto him, as opposed to what the film of 12+ games says. I mean, it has worked before ... but not often enough for me to gamble off a top 50 selection.

5 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Where in his college career has he had a QB worth two sh!ts?

I wouldn't spend a 1st or a 2nd for him. But a 3rd or later. With a couple of years learning from Witten about the finer points of route running. If this guy has work ethic and the ability to learn. He could be a steal for the ages. 

Edit: Actually with our position in the draft. I might agree to a second depending on how he tests in the interviews. H/e im not in there sooooooo.

7 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I for one am extremely pleased that Ve'a is going to be long gone before 19. That way I won't have to punch a hole in my wall when the Cowboys draft someone like Deon Cain over him.

I know I said this to @plan9misfit before. But if we did draft Vita. He better drop his weight to 315 or 310. I dont want him gasing out by the 2nd quarter. And everyone knows what im talking about. Has Ngata like potential, but more often then not comes across like Albert Haynesworth because he doesn't work for it the way someone like Ngata or Casey Hampton does. 

You can have all the fastest wide receivers on your team but if the coaching staff isn't willing to change up the offensive play calls time to time and fix your offensive line to help keep Prescott off his back side or a defensive player in his face so he has to rush his throws , the Cowboys don't even distribute the ball around enough the team gives Prescott safety valves no real creative plays. It's the same guys over and over Beasley, Witten and Bryant with the occasional throw to someone else. Spread it around more and stop this dink and dunk offense and you will see more production in this offense you have to prove to teams that you have the ability to stretch the field which will open up the run game even more. The Cowboys need to get Swaim, Jarwin and Noah Brown more involved to see if they have anything to add to this team, it's time to start evolving this receiving corps with the lack of performance from these players dropped balls and wrong routes. 

So I'm still on sticking to say either get your best defensive player on your board @ 19 or if you cant move down a few spots to pick up other picks get that OL player that will help get this offense back on track if you look back to 2017 it was the Elliott suspension, poor play from offensive line due to injuries or poor chemistry and the lack of coaches willing to change the offensive plays. With the 19th pick your going to get a good linebacker, defensive lineman, secondary player and with the performances of Hernandez and Colton Miller @ the combine the Cowboys might need to do a little more research in the film room to see if they covet a 1st rnd. pick. You have to wonder with Tyron's back issues and LG position up in free agency. If you look @ the Cowboy's roster they don't really have quality depth on the offensive line and they have no LG . What logic will the Cowboys go with spending more dollars on the offensive line in free agency or draft a stud like Isiah Wynn, Will Hernandez or Colton Miller who now is shooting up the draft boards. The Cowboys could get lucky and get Billy Price @ 50 considering his pectoral injury. 

7 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Where in his college career has he had a QB worth two sh!ts?

I wouldn't spend a 1st or a 2nd for him. But a 3rd or later. With a couple of years learning from Witten about the finer points of route running. If this guy has work ethic and the ability to learn. He could be a steal for the ages. 

Edit: Actually with our position in the draft. I might agree to a second depending on how he tests in the interviews. H/e im not in there sooooooo.

Hey, I am on board with a third rounder. Like I said, I would not go gambling off a top 50 selection on him. But by the third round, when you are digging for traits and qualities in hopes of stumbling upon something, Im totally cool with selecting that years fastest 40 time prospect. Youre drafting him on his potential for speed on the offense, and by the third round you are already accepting that there could be a learning curve and time spent in the study and weight rooms devoted to coaching that player into something you can consistently use, even as a nice role player and not an everydown starter.

Ideally, Id want my third rounder to be an instant contributor, but the reality is by mid third round, you are mining pretty deep looking for gold, but would be pretty content finding some bronze.

On 3/3/2018 at 10:06 AM, flyingmonkey30 said:

Absolutely, huge blessing in disguise.

"Utah defensive lineman Lowell Lotulelei said Hurst told him Saturday that he had been diagnosed with the same heart condition as Lotulelei’s older brother, Star."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/03/03/report-maurice-hurst-wont-work-out-nfl-combine-after-being-diagnosed-heart-condition/391986002/

8 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I know I said this to @plan9misfit before. But if we did draft Vita. He better drop his weight to 315 or 310. I dont want him gasing out by the 2nd quarter. And everyone knows what im talking about. Has Ngata like potential, but more often then not comes across like Albert Haynesworth because he doesn't work for it the way someone like Ngata or Casey Hampton does. 

And you know I completely agree with you. He was able to get away with playing at ~350 Lbs in college because he only played 66% of the defensive snaps. If he’s going to be a 3-down DT,  there’s no way that he can maintain that weight without gassing out every game. I’d contend that his max weight should be 325. And, as a former high school RB, he should be able to drop his weight and keep it off with relative ease. Basically, changing his diet and workout regimen should suffice.

Archived