(List) The Best/Your Favorite Player at Our Positions of Need

Mind Character

IMO, our positions of need in no particular order are the following: 

(FS, WR, CB, QB, LT, RB, C- Tretter is okay but can be upgraded, DE- Best teams have 3+Ogbah can be upgraded & TE- Haley+Hue's scheme is more potent with 2 TEs)

---------------------------------------------------

After reviewing a ton of players' game tape, I am confident in the following players at our positions of need to be instant impact players &/or soon to be pro-bowlers:

1. FS: Dane Cruikshank, Arizona

2. WR: DJ Moore, Maryland

3. CB: Mike Hughes, UCF

4. QB: Sam Darnold, USC

5. LT: Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

6. DE: Bradley Chubb, NC State

7. RB: Derrius Guice, LSU

8. C: Billy Price, Ohio State

9. TE: Hayden Hurst, South Carolina

-------------------------------------------

Mock with Best/my Favorite Players at Positions of Need in Mind:

The Draft

**** Philosophy: Create as many positional units that can be a decisive force on the field.

1(1) Browns Select: Sam Darnold QB USC

1(2) New York Giants select Josh Allen QB Wyoming

1(3) Denver Broncos (via Trade) select Josh Rosen QB UCLA 

1(4) Browns Select: Bradley Chubb DE NC State 

***Trade**** Both of our early 2nd round picks traded for late 1st round picks; Giving up both 4th round picks and future considerations. We traded a 4th round pick to trade up from the 2nd to the 1st last year to select David Njoku. So, we essentially do that trade twice this year.

**1(27) Browns Select: Mike Hughes CB UCF

**1(28) Browns Select: Mike McGlinchey LT Notre Dame // Derrius Guice RB LSU

2. Browns Select: DJ Moore WR Maryland

3. Browns Select: Billy Price, C, OSU (Might slip b/c of surgery on torn pec at combine) // Dane Cruikshank, FS Arizona 

5. Browns Select: Dane Cruikshank, FS Arizona // Ade Aruna DE Tulane // Mark Walton RB Miami (Ankle and knee injury concerns drop him in the draft along with RB talent pool depth)

5. Browns Select: Duke Dawson CB Florida // Darious Williams CB UAB

6. Browns Select: Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson

7. Browns Select: Jordan Thomas TE Miss. St.

9 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

1. FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Bama - Think he'd get moved nack and forth from FS to nickel in different packages

2. WR: DJ Moore, Maryland - I too like Moore a lot

3. CB: Denzel Ward, Ohio St.

5. LT: Connor Williams, Texas

7. RB: Saquon Barkley, Penn St.

8. C: James Daniels, Iowa

9. TE: Not a position of need but I like Gesicki, Andrews or Fumigalli

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

(FS, WR, CB, QB, LT, RB, C- Tretter is okay but can be upgraded, DE- Best teams have 3+Ogbah can be upgraded & TE- Haley+Hue's scheme is more potent with 2 TEs)

After reviewing a ton of players' game tape, I am confident in the following players at our positions of need to be instant impact players &/or soon to be pro-bowlers:

5. LT: Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame Chukwuma Okorafor 

6. DE: Bradley Chubb, NC State HERCULES MATA’AFA

fify

This would be an incredible haul.

QB: Darnold, and I'd talk myself into Rosen

RB: Barkley, Guice, Penny (I want to like Jones but he's 205 and I think reminds me a lot of Duke)

WR: St. Brown, Simmie Cobbs, James Washington, Calvin Ridley

TE: Gesecki, Andrews

LT: McGlinchey, Williams

FS: Derwin James (waits for anarchy to ensue), Edmunds

CB: Ward, Jackson

Hybrid: Fitzpatrick, Derwin James

I'd like to address the QB at #1, and BPA at #4-64 for guys that can be immediate impact players and/or 2019 starters.

I'd like to get rotational players at the DE/LB spots after that, with potentially a project or two at other positions for guys who are athletic freaks of nature or small school guys.

10 hours ago, Mind Character said:

The Draft

**** Philosophy: Create as many positional units that can be a decisive force on the field.

***Trade**** Both of our early 2nd round picks traded for late 1st round picks; Giving up both 4th round picks and future considerations. We traded a 4th round pick to trade up from the 2nd to the 1st last year to select David Njoku. So, we essentially do that trade twice this year.

3. Browns Select: Billy Price, C, OSU (Might slip b/c of surgery on torn pec at combine) // Dane Cruikshank, FS Arizona 

5. Browns Select: Dane Cruikshank, FS Arizona // Ade Aruna DE Tulane // Mark Walton RB Miami (Ankle and knee injury concerns drop him in the draft along with RB talent pool depth)

FS- Derwin James

WR- Christian Kirk/ EQ Brown

CB- Joshua Jackson 

RB- Saquan Barkley 

QB- 33.3/33.3/33.3- Darnold Rosen Mayfield 

LT- Mike Mcglinchey

DE- Bradley Chubb

C- James Daniels

TE ( I don’t think is a need)- Geisicki

#1 player in the draft unequivocally- Saquan Barkley 

That mock in the first post would be epic.

My top guys:

1. FS: Minkah. I think he's talented enough make the transition to pure FS.

2. WR: Courtland Sutton, SMU

3. CB: Denzel Ward. Call me an OSU homer

4. QB: Darnold, but really close with Mayfield for me

7. RB: Saquon Barkley...but I don't want to take him at #1 overall

8. C: Billy Price (see OSU homer comment)

9. TE: I don't think this is a good year to take one

QB, FS, CB, RB, WR, LT(OTF), DE, C, DE, TE

My favorite players at positions of need (in order):

1. FS: I'll be honest, there is no player that stands out to me.  I would be okay with many of them but I think this is a FA need.

2. WR: Calvin Ridley, Cameron Sutton, James Washington, DJ Moore, Equanimous St. Brown

3. CB: Denzel Ward, Josh Jackson, Mike Hughes, Carlton Davis, Jaire Alexander, Isaiah Oliver

4. QB: Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen (a close but obvious second)... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Baker Mayfield (not a close third)

5. LT: Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey (not a close second)

6. DE: Bradley Chubb, Marcus Davenport

7. RB: Saquan Barkley, Darius Guice, Nick Chubb, Rashaad Penny, Sony Michel, Royce Freeman

8. C: James Daniels, Billy Price

9. TE: Hayden Hurst

Mock Offseason with Best/my Favorite Players at Positions of Need in Mind:

Free Agency

FS: Tre Boston - I don't see many good options in the draft so I work out a trade with seattle for Earl Thomas or try and overpay someone in Free agency.  I think this is the best place on the defense to provide a veteran presence.

QB: AJ McCarron - I think this is how Dorsey makes Hue happy and lets him draft whoever he wants

WR: Allen Robinson - We get the insurance Policy for Josh Gordon, and the best 1-2 punch in the NFL with Gordon (if healthy and off weed) and Robinson.

CB: Trumane Johnson - We make an offer on him for a few years.  Not the perfect CB on the market because hes a little bit older but he has a history with Greg Williams and will allow us to have more veteran presence in the defensive backfield.

The Draft

1(1) Browns Select: Sam Darnold QB USC - The #1 QB and player on my board.  I don't think QB's with this many correctable flaws and this type of instincts come around very often.

***Trade**** With 3 QB's going off the board in the first 3 picks, the Bills panic and look for the ability to move up in the draft and get one of the available QB's  We trade the 4th overall pick to Buffalo for Pick #21, #22 and Buffalo's 2019 first round pick.

1(21) Browns Select: Connor Williams OT Texas - I see him as a superstar LT.  I know his tape last year wasn't as impressive when dealing with a Knee Injury, but if he came out in 2017 he would have been a top 5 pick.  Joe Thomas plays 1 more year, we have the ability to red-shirt Williams and let his knee heal to 100%, regain his lateral quickness, and be able to take over in 2019 as our blind side protector.

1(21) Browns Select: Marcus Davenport DE UTSA - This is absolutely a luxury pick, we have the salary cap space to make a ton of moves in the off season so that we can take developmental players in the draft.  Greg Williams seems to like to throw line changes out like the NHL with his Defensive Line.  Our starters were successful but when the backups game in we were getting torched.  Davenport starts as a Developmental DE with the hopes he can at some point challenge Ogbah for the starter job, but immediately helps the second string when they come in for a few drives a game.

(33) Browns Select: Mike Hughes CB UCF - We got help in the defensive Backfield in Free Agency but we also need some young guys as Trumane Johnson, and Jason McCourty aren't exactly young guys.  This gives him time to develop into a true #1 CB and eventually take over for one of the two of them when hes ready.

(35) Browns Select: Nick Chubb RB Georgia - Some people may not be nearly as high on Chubb as I am, but I have been a huge fan of his ever since he was recruited into Georgia.  Had he not had injury concerns I think he would easily be a first round pick.  I still think he will come back to form over time, but to me hes a great early down running back.  He can hit holes, he has shown to have explosion, and will compliment Duke Johnson nicely, but not take away so many carries from him that it makes Duke just a slot reciever.

(64) Browns Select: Equanimous St. Brown - St. Brown is one of my favorite WR's in this draft.  Hes big, he runs GREAT routes, he is fast enough.  I think with better QB play (ND's QBs didn't help him at all) and being a #4 reciever on the browns, he is going to make a lot of plays for us right away.

(65). Browns Select: Billy Price, C, OSU - Price slips here because of the pectoral injury.  Perfect situation for us, we get a first round talent at the beginning of the 3rd round because other teams aren't in a position where they can let players red-shirt.  We have JC Tretter playing the position, next year we can let them compete and let Price win out when healthy.

Its a little strange to be taking so many players who won't play right away.  There is not one player taken in the draft that I expect would start right away (with the exception of Chubb).  That being said we have such a huge amount of cap space and draft capitol that we should be able to both win right now and set ourselves up for the future.  I think we fill our biggest needs of FS, QB, CB in free agency, as well as get an insurance policy for Josh Gordon.  Then in the draft, we get our RB in this very deep class and  take care of what we need in the future.  Get QBOTF, the LT of the future, the DE to compete with Ogbah, a CB that could help right away and only get better, the C of the future, an outside WR of the future all of this while getting another future first round pick.  I think we are in great position to set ourselves up for success now and for years to come if we play this right...

1. FS: Kameron Kelly, SDSU

3. CB: Jaire Alexander, Louisville

4. QB: Baker Mayfield, OKLA/Josh Rosen, UCLA

5. LT: NA... Maybe Kolton Miller if I had a gun to my head. There is no great answer here this year imo.

6. DE: Harold Landry, BC

7. RB: John Kelly, TENN

9. TE: Mark Andrews, OKLA

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

1. FS: Kameron Kelly, SDSU

3. CB: Jaire Alexander, Louisville

4. QB: Baker Mayfield, OKLA/Josh Rosen, UCLA

5. LT: NA... Maybe Kolton Miller if I had a gun to my head. There is no great answer here this year imo.

6. DE: Harold Landry, BC

7. RB: John Kelly, TENN

9. TE: Mark Andrews, OKLA

Yeah I'm still really high on Kameron Kelly after Cruikshank at FS; however I think he checked in at 192 pounds at the senior bowl so teams might try him at CB first...hopefully he could bulk up some if permanently moved ro FS.

Good eye.

Ok I'll play along:

QB - Darnold Take at #1. I doubt he will be there at #4.
RB - Barkley Take at #1 or #4. He might be there but it depends on if NyG and Indy draft/trade with teams fighting over Rosen/Allen/Mayfield. 
FS - Fitz Would settle for him at #4 if we couldn't trade back. 
LT - McGlinchey Good pick if we trade back with lets say the Cards
CB - Ward Same as above
WR - Sutton Would seriously consider moving back into the late first for him if it cost us a 4th rounder. 

Positions we don't need:

DE - Chubb I'd be tempted to draft him at #4. 
DT - Vea I'd be tempted to draft him if we trade back with the #4
LB - Edmund Same
G - Nelson Same
C - Price (even though he is injured, I still think he is the best Center in the draft.) I'd love to draft him at 64/65. 
TE - I honestly have not looked at TEs this whole off season. That being said, I like Troy Fumagalli in the 4th. 
K/P -  UDFA here if we feel the need for them. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

What about runningback. 

It it will be interesting to see what Crow does if he isn’t offered much money. 

If we offer him 3yeara 18 million with bonuses then he may stay here.

my fa fixes are fs and wr. I want Watkins and Pryor, not sure who for fs. 

One option is is to convert a cb to fs. None of our current players have the required athleticism to keep up with top tier wr’s. 

bbc is a heady player he may make a good fs. Same rig McCourty.

15 hours ago, Mind Character said:

5. LT: Connor Williams - a far better prospect than McGinlinchy

8. C: Billy Price, Ohio State - James Daniels - one of the best OC to come down the pipe in years

The Draft

I will be surprised if Hughes is still there at 28 and finding trading partners isn't all that easy, but not impossible.

24 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Ok I'll play along:

QB - Darnold Take at #1. I doubt he will be there at #4. - I agree unless Allen blows us away at his pro day after 2 months under a pro type QB coach.
RB - Barkley Take at #1 or #4. He might be there but it depends on if NyG and Indy draft/trade with teams fighting over Rosen/Allen/Mayfield. I believe he will be there
FS - Fitz Would settle for him at #4 if we couldn't trade back. Only if he can play CB.
LT - McGlinchey Good pick if we trade back with lets say the Cards Not a fan, I am always suspicious of linemen who play alongside another stud prospect. Latest ranking have him in round 2.
CB - Ward Same as above Solid CB prospect!
WR - Sutton Would seriously consider moving back into the late first for him if it cost us a 4th rounder. He is now ranked post Combine, in round 2!

Positions we don't need:

DE - Chubb I'd be tempted to draft him at #4. Cannot argue!
DT - Vea I'd be tempted to draft him if we trade back with the #4 I like!
LB - Edmund Same Ditto
G - Nelson Same Not completely sold on the idea of drafting an OG too high!
C - Price (even though he is injured, I still think he is the best Center in the draft.) I'd love to draft him at 64/65. He is not the best OC in the draft, Daniels is by a mile, one of the best OC prospects to come down the pipe in years!
TE - I honestly have not looked at TEs this whole off season. That being said, I like Troy Fumagalli in the 4th. Not Bad!
K/P -  UDFA here if we feel the need for them. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

20 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Ok I'll play along:

LT - McGlinchey Good pick if we trade back with lets say the Cards Not a fan, I am always suspicious of linemen who play alongside another stud prospect. Latest ranking have him in round 2.
WR - Sutton Would seriously consider moving back into the late first for him if it cost us a 4th rounder. He is now ranked post Combine, in round 2!

Positions we don't need:

G - Nelson Same Not completely sold on the idea of drafting an OG too high!
C - Price (even though he is injured, I still think he is the best Center in the draft.) I'd love to draft him at 64/65. He is not the best OC in the draft, Daniels is by a mile, one of the best OC prospects to come down the pipe in years!

McGlinchey is a solid pick if we were picking around 11-17ish. 

I saw a few games with Sutton. He looked like he was gliding and catching TDs were effortless. If he is there last 1st to early 2nd. I want him. 

Nelson again is the best OLineman in the draft. Too bad it is at the guard position and a place we are stacked at. 

Price - I'm a OSU homer. But again if he is sitting there at our 3rd round pick.. take him and let him heal. I'm not too sold on our current center. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I don't really know the merit of saying who's going to be the best since we really only have two top picks to grab two of the best players, so I'll list the attainable guys at a position of need that I think will be really good. 

QB: Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Jackson (I'll take any of these dudes). 

RB: Guice (who I want if we trade back from 4 to late 1st round). 

WR: Kirk (A poor man's OBJ take him top of round 2)

FS: Fitzpatrick (will live if he's the pick in a trade back from 4 but I don't really like any FS available). 

CB: Ward (who I want if we trade back from 4 but stay inside the top 10)

DE: Chubb (who I want at 4) 

Archived