49ers / Marquise Goodwin agree to extension

Forge

Credit @NcFinest9erFan for posting in niner forum. 

Bring this up because while this isn't a huge deal, it's certainly decent money and paired with Garcon's contract, most 49er fans feel that this would take us out of the running for any big name free agent receiver such as Allen Robinsin / Sammy Watkins. 

I really hope he can stay healthy this year. I've thought since he was coming out of Texas that he could be a very good deep threat in this league. He seems to show flashes every year, but just can't shake the injury bug, and also hasn't had the best QB play for much of his career.

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Credit @NcFinest9erFan for posting in niner forum. 

Bring this up because while this isn't a huge deal, it's certainly decent money and paired with Garcon's contract, most 49er fans feel that this would take us out of the running for any big name free agent receiver such as Allen Robinsin / Sammy Watkins. 

Are you sure it takes you out for a 3rd WR?  Isn't the current deal for 2018 very team friendly?   I realize there would be a signing bonus that starts now and has to add to the budget - but is the 3-year extension for 2018-2020...or is it for 2019-21?   If that's the case, then there could be very little added to the SF budget.  Any exact details?

Either way, fantastic move - it's a team friendly # no matter how you slice it, as long as he remains a top 3 WR with SF, which I think he'd be.   Personally, if they can get another guy out wide and put Garcon in the slot, that's a very promising core to give JimmyG to throw with (especially with Kittle looking to have the year 2 TE bump from a very decent rookie season).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Are you sure it takes you out for a 3rd WR?  Isn't the current deal for 2018 very team friendly?   I realize there would be a signing bonus that starts now and has to add to the budget - but is the 3-year extension for 2018-2020...or is it for 2019-21?   If that's the case, then there could be very little added to the SF budget.  Any exact details?

Either way, fantastic move - it's a team friendly # no matter how you slice it, as long as he remains a top 3 WR with SF, which I think he'd be.   Personally, if they can get another guy out wide and put Garcon in the slot, that's a very promising core to give JimmyG to throw with (especially with Kittle looking to have the year 2 TE bump from a very decent rookie season).

I'm actually of the opinion that it doesn't completely take us out of the running, but I do think we would have to really love a receiver to make a big money offer. While this deal isn't huge (on the low end for #2 receivers for sure), it's also not a small deal and does show a level of respect and appreciation to Goodwin in what we think he is moving forward. I think if we are looking to add a receiver, it would point us more in the direction of one year prove it deals (Eric Decker maybe?) or maybe the next tier down from the top guys - maybe someone like Moncrief who could get a similar deal to Goodwin? 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm actually of the opinion that it doesn't completely take us out of the running, but I do think we would have to really love a receiver to make a big money offer. While this deal isn't huge (on the low end for #2 receivers for sure), it's also not a small deal and does show a level of respect and appreciation to Goodwin in what we think he is moving forward. I think if we are looking to add a receiver, it would point us more in the direction of one year prove it deals (Eric Decker maybe?) or maybe the next tier down from the top guys - maybe someone like Moncrief who could get a similar deal to Goodwin? 

Well that's a different argument altogether (on whether the big 3 WR's out there now are worth spending that much on, and I agree you guys don't need a big-money upgrade).   I do think you'd be well served by getting a true outside WR to pair with Goodwin - Garçon will be most effective in the slot.    A guy like Moncrief would be awesome there.    With Kittle, that will give JimmyG 4 options with very different skill sets each passing down - best-case scenario for your O.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well that's a different argument altogether (on whether the big 3 WR's out there now are worth spending that much on, and I agree you guys don't need a big-money upgrade).   I do think you'd be well served by getting a true outside WR to pair with Goodwin - Garçon will be most effective in the slot.    A guy like Moncrief would be awesome there.    With Kittle, that will give JimmyG 4 options with very different skill sets each passing down - best-case scenario for your O.

Well, we have Taylor in the slot, and there are high hopes for that little dude. He's a terror underneath with the short area quickness. He's a third and short reception monster (he was 9th in the nfl in 3rd down receptions for first downs). So an outside receiver would almost exclusively be in on 4 receiver sets, as typically we will still play Garcon on the outside on 2 and 3 receiver sets. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, we have Taylor in the slot, and there are high hopes for that little dude. He's a terror underneath with the short area quickness. He's a third and short reception monster (he was 9th in the nfl in 3rd down receptions for first downs). So an outside receiver would almost exclusively be in on 4 receiver sets, as typically we will still play Garcon on the outside on 2 and 3 receiver sets. 

Forgot about Taylor...yeah, it's worth seeing if he can build on his rookie year (IIRC, concussion then broken bone somewhere derailed his season, I had him as a cheap DFS flex that game, why I remember now lol).

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think you're better off using your 3rd round pick on WR. Don't want to pay this position too much money.

Archived