Let's Delve Into Dalvin Cook

Klomp

If he runs behind Bradford he doesn't get there in time and can't push the corner around Bradford. RB's picking up blitzes pretty much always cross in front of the QB, not behind. There's no issue with Dalvin's angle. This play is entirely on Remmers getting walked back into the pocket.

Cook is 5'10 and Bradford is 6'4... there was no sight issue on the play.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Good eye, bad angle.  He cuts in front of SB.... Looping behind SB would have been better... hopefully DC learns blocking motion angles.

jeeezus.... draw a line from Cook's position prior to the snap to BEHIND Bradford and connect the dots. the blitz would have sacked the QB.

9 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

If he runs behind Bradford he doesn't get there in time and can't push the corner around Bradford. RB's picking up blitzes pretty much always cross in front of the QB, not behind. There's no issue with Dalvin's angle. This play is entirely on Remmers getting walked back into the pocket.

Cook is 5'10 and Bradford is 6'4... there was no sight issue on the play.

Exactly

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

jeeezus.... draw a line from Cook's position prior to the snap to BEHIND Bradford and connect the dots. the blitz would have sacked the QB.

A straight line wasn't what I suggested.  jeeeeezuuuuus.  Learn 3 dimensional geometry; it'll help in the future.

Re: line of site mentioned in other replies: height isn't the concern; it's the distraction.  The ability to step up in the pocket is pivotal, and is impeded so the DE overpowered the RT.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Exactly

Exact problem is the inability to step up in the pocket, allowing a split second for the DE to reach SB.  One receiver on a crossing pattern, R to L, was momentarily open but SB had no where to step to throw.  So, he held the ball, and was unable to clear himself from the collapsing pocket.  Several players didn't do their job, including receivers who were covered.

1 minute ago, Purplexing said:

A straight line wasn't what I suggested. 

oh i see now... so if Cook had instead met up with the blitzing CB by taking a more circuitous route, or zigging and zagging to Bradford's back, then he would have been successful.

riiiiiight... because that would taken less time than a straight line, i get it now.

you'r just wrong here and it's been pointed out by others too, one of them a coach. you just can't admit it. 

• Like 2

Seeing as how Bradford was able to reset his feet after reaching the bottom of his dropback, without being interfered with by Cook, Cook passing in front of Bradford didn't prevent Bradford from stepping up into the pocket. 

Bradford simply stopped after resetting his, which is a common issue for him, and got run into by his left tackle. 

Cook played it perfectly. 

I think Dalvin did a great job pass blocking on that play.  I was wondering though if Bradford or Easton could've done a better job on this play by recognizing the blitz and changing the protections pre snap?  Nick Easton didn't block anyone on that play, but if everyone would've slid to the right a bit more then Remmers would've had the CB and Cook could've blocked any LB that tried to come up the middle.  I'm by no means an OL expert, but I think that would've made a difference.

6 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

I think Dalvin did a great job pass blocking on that play.  I was wondering though if Bradford or Easton could've done a better job on this play by recognizing the blitz and changing the protections pre snap?  Nick Easton didn't block anyone on that play, but if everyone would've slid to the right a bit more then Remmers would've had the CB and Cook could've blocked any LB that tried to come up the middle.  I'm by no means an OL expert, but I think that would've made a difference.

An astute observation.   DC might have been re-positioned, pre-snap, to the right, from where the CB might blitz.  But how does DC or SB recognize a CB blitz? ... in a pre-season game?  If I'm a DC, I don't use one of my CB blitz plays in pre-season,... only 'vanilla' plays.

This sack is not the fault of any one individual as some made it out to be in posts that blame SB for not recognizing the pressure and stepping up into the pocket.... or Shanahan calling a bad play... or Easton calling the blocking scheme improperly.  As you suggest, there are several breakdowns that could have been avoided.

FWIW, only one of four receivers was open, briefly, on a crossing pattern, right to left, but I didn't notice the players number.  

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Seeing as how Bradford was able to reset his feet after reaching the bottom of his dropback, without being interfered with by Cook, Cook passing in front of Bradford didn't prevent Bradford from stepping up into the pocket. 

Bradford simply stopped after resetting his, which is a common issue for him, and got run into by his left tackle. 

Cook played it perfectly. 

Right tackle, unless the two tackles did a 'stunt'.    Cook waited until the CB got in the backfield, and ran in front of SB, blocking SB from stepping up soon enough to avoid Remmers being pushed back into him.  Cook might have missed the CB before the snap, and didn't switch over to that side.  The four receivers didn't get open, except for a split second by a receiver running a crossing pattern, right to left.  But, you can review the tape and draw your own conclusion. 

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

you'r just wrong here and it's been pointed out by others too, one of them a coach. you just can't admit it. 

I see; 'you'r' saying no one but former coaches should opine or make observations of situations that could have different interpretations.  Got it.  But why have you said many times in the past that everyone has the right to state opinions and aren't restricted to posting verifiable facts?  Haven't you said this comment board is 'for discussion'?  So, why are you providing summary judgement on posters posts; e.g. SteelKing728's grammar, logic, etc.?   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Purplexing said:

I see; 'you'r' saying no one but former coaches should opine or make observations of situations that could have different interpretations.  Got it.  But why have you said many times in the past that everyone has the right to state opinions and aren't restricted to posting verifiable facts?  Haven't you said this comment board is 'for discussion'?  So, why are you providing summary judgement on posters posts; e.g. SteelKing728's grammar, logic, etc.?   

i'm just saying that your opinion is wrong, not that you have no right to state it. nor did i say only former coaches can opine.

and he's a current coach, by the way. so i would say his opinion is worthy.

Edited by vike daddy

I would say from what I've seen of Cook, that his pass blocking is up and down. He's okay right now and I would bet he'll get better as time goes on.

But then Cook might already be better than Peterson at pass blocking. Linebackers and defensive ends were getting past Adrian all day.