QB Frenzy

Shylo3716

The Taylor move to Cleveland, just shook up the market for every other QB in free agency and the draft.

Cousins may be a “lock” to Minnesota for the $27M.

Now that leaves Denver, New York Jets, Arizona, Buffalo as the remaining options for McCaron, Bradford, Bridgewater, Keenum. 1/4 is going to land in a spot to where there’s another QB already starting on the roster, or the team will select a QB after acquiring one for depth.

Who is the odd man out (McCarron, Bradford, Bridgewater, Keenum)?

Okay:

McCarron obviously goes to the Jets, as they have been landing there for years; No-Brainer.

Image result for mccarran airportImage result for casey kasem

Casey Kasem definitely goes Top-40, probably to Arizona, because he's Coast-To-Coast.

Teddy Bridgewater changes his name to BridgeGap and suspends himself between the Twin Towers, Oss Brockweiler and Paxton Lynch, in Denver;

Image result for Teddy Bridgewater

Sam Bradford, wishing to play out his career close to home, is angered to find out that there is no NFL team in Tulsa. As a Plan B he becomes, in addition to being a 5-sport star already, a musical stage star, taking his manly baritone on the road in the latest incarnation of Oklahoma! Thus: he's the odd man out.

Image result for Sam Bradford

The craziest thing about the QB market this year is that free agency tampering starts at midnight tonight and Drew Brees still doesn't have a new deal with the Saints. No one even seems to be talking about it. Everyone, including myself, seems to think it is a foregone conclusion that he returns to New Orleans, but if they can't get a contract done...

49 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The craziest thing about the QB market this year is that free agency tampering starts at midnight tonight and Drew Brees still doesn't have a new deal with the Saints. No one even seems to be talking about it. Everyone, including myself, seems to think it is a foregone conclusion that he returns to New Orleans, but if they can't get a contract done...

New Orleans (Payton) loves Brees like New England (Kraft) loves Brady; a deal should be made.

18 minutes ago, Shylo3716 said:

New Orleans (Payton) loves Brees like New England (Kraft) loves Brady; a deal should be made.

But by all accounts, they aren't close. Every hour a deal isn't done, there's a higher chance someone lures him away from New Orleans. 

Bridgewater probably isn’t getting signed to be a starter. The fact that Minnesota doesn’t want him back is telling given they know the most about both the general health of his knee, and how good he’s looked in practice. I heard a rumor that the Patriots might bring him in to groom him behind Brady. He’s the same age as Garoppolo, would come very cheap and some draft analysts compared him to Brady in 2014.

Jets, Bills, Cardinals, Broncos, Vikings are the 5 teams that need to bring in a veteran QB to at least compete to start. Assuming the Saints keep Brees then I think the five guys who will be signed as starters, in some order, are Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, AJ McCarron and Josh McCown. The wildcard would be if someone trades for Nick Foles but I doubt that.

My prediction: 

Vikings get Cousins

Broncos get Keenum

Jets bring back McCown

Bills get Sam Bradford

Cardinals get McCarron

In each of those cases, apart from the team that gets Kirk Cousins, I think you’re just signing the guy as a bridge and will be heavily targeting first round draft QBs. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Bridgewater probably isn’t getting signed to be a starter. The fact that Minnesota doesn’t want him back is telling given they know the most about both the general health of his knee, and how good he’s looked in practice. I heard a rumor that the Patriots might bring him in to groom him behind Brady. He’s the same age as Garoppolo, would come very cheap and some draft analysts compared him to Brady in 2014.

Jets, Bills, Cardinals, Broncos, Vikings are the 5 teams that need to bring in a veteran QB to at least compete to start. Assuming the Saints keep Brees then I think the five guys who will be signed as starters, in some order, are Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, AJ McCarron and Josh McCown. The wildcard would be if someone trades for Nick Foles but I doubt that.

My prediction: 

Vikings get Cousins

Broncos get Keenum

Jets bring back McCown

Bills get Sam Bradford

Cardinals get McCarron

In each of those cases, apart from the team that gets Kirk Cousins, I think you’re just signing the guy as a bridge and will be heavily targeting first round draft QBs. 

Actually, the stuff with Bridgewater ISNT that telling.     In fact, thats one of the more ambiguous situations in the league.    The Vikings were in a tough spot with him insomuch as he got injured and they didnt get a good chance to figure out what they TRULY had in him, and by the time he came back, Keenum had the hot hand and they couldnt take him out.

Ive never been a huge fan of Teddy and I dont think any team should look at him as a BONAFIDE starter, but I think he will get some decent offers....more than the Patriots are likely to pay.   For instance, I could see the Bills and/or Cardinals signing him to a 2 year/$18m deal or something and then still trying to get a QB in the draft.

Also not seeing your logic......you think teams would feel more comfortable signing McCarron to be a starter over Teddy?    At most, its a push.    Teddy is more talented and has definitely shown more.    Neither are trustworthy to give big deals to, but I would absolutely rather give Teddy a prove-it deal over McCarron.

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I've read reports that Brees can't talk to other teams until March 14th, even though other players get to start on March 12th.  I don't know why that is, or if it's true, but it's what I read.

Here's one article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/Bolt/Report-Drew-Brees-cant-talk-to-other-teams-on-March-12-116014445

11 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I've read reports that Brees can't talk to other teams until March 14th, even though other players get to start on March 12th.  I don't know why that is, or if it's true, but it's what I read.

Here's one article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/Bolt/Report-Drew-Brees-cant-talk-to-other-teams-on-March-12-116014445

Interesting. It says there is no reasoning on the official report as to why he can't talk to teams tomorrow. Can they still reach out to him? Because even just sending potential offers his way could be detrimental to contract work between him and New Orleans. 

This is a situation to keep an eye on for sure. You can bet teams like the Jets are going to do everything they can to somehow land Brees. Crazy how this whole situation with him and the Saints has unfolded.

Also, I made a mistake in an earlier poat. Tampering period starts tomorrow at noon eastern, not midnight tonight. My bad. 

Archived