QB Frenzy

Shylo3716

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Bridgewater probably isn’t getting signed to be a starter. The fact that Minnesota doesn’t want him back is telling given they know the most about both the general health of his knee, and how good he’s looked in practice. I heard a rumor that the Patriots might bring him in to groom him behind Brady. He’s the same age as Garoppolo, would come very cheap and some draft analysts compared him to Brady in 2014.

Jets, Bills, Cardinals, Broncos, Vikings are the 5 teams that need to bring in a veteran QB to at least compete to start. Assuming the Saints keep Brees then I think the five guys who will be signed as starters, in some order, are Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, AJ McCarron and Josh McCown. The wildcard would be if someone trades for Nick Foles but I doubt that.

My prediction: 

Vikings get Cousins

Broncos get Keenum

Jets bring back McCown

Bills get Sam Bradford

Cardinals get McCarron

In each of those cases, apart from the team that gets Kirk Cousins, I think you’re just signing the guy as a bridge and will be heavily targeting first round draft QBs. 

What about Bridgewater?  Where do you think he will end up?

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Interesting. It says there is no reasoning on the official report as to why he can't talk to teams tomorrow. Can they still reach out to him? Because even just sending potential offers his way could be detrimental to contract work between him and New Orleans. 

This is a situation to keep an eye on for sure. You can bet teams like the Jets are going to do everything they can to somehow land Brees. Crazy how this whole situation with him and the Saints has unfolded.

Also, I made a mistake in an earlier poat. Tampering period starts tomorrow at noon eastern, not midnight tonight. My bad. 

Another site says he can't begin negotiations until the 14th.  I assume that means no contact either way, but I'm not sure.  

I don't see the Saints letting Brees go with the cap hit they'll take and the fact that there is no successor.  They were a miracle play away from the NFCCG last year, so Brees has less reason to leave than he did in the past when the Saints were a dumpster fire.  I think both parties are each other's number 1 option.

It's possible a team could come in and make an offer Brees simply couldn't refuse and NO wouldn't pay, but I'd think a slim chance that could happen.

Some in the Saints forum were hypothesizing that they may be waiting to hear some talks between the Saints and some other free agents that potentially want to play for the Saints before they finalize the deal for cap reasons.  

Regardless of the reasoning, I don't see Brees not getting re-signed by the Saints.

7 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Another site says he can't begin negotiations until the 14th.  I assume that means no contact either way, but I'm not sure.  

I don't see the Saints letting Brees go with the cap hit they'll take and the fact that there is no successor.  They were a miracle play away from the NFCCG last year, so Brees has less reason to leave than he did in the past when the Saints were a dumpster fire.  I think both parties are each other's number 1 option.

It's possible a team could come in and make an offer Brees simply couldn't refuse and NO wouldn't pay, but I'd think a slim chance that could happen.

Some in the Saints forum were hypothesizing that they may be waiting to hear some talks between the Saints and some other free agents that potentially want to play for the Saints before they finalize the deal for cap reasons.  

Regardless of the reasoning, I don't see Brees not getting re-signed by the Saints.

I agree, Brees will remain with the Saints no matter what!

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

The craziest thing about the QB market this year is that free agency tampering starts at midnight tonight and Drew Brees still doesn't have a new deal with the Saints. No one even seems to be talking about it. Everyone, including myself, seems to think it is a foregone conclusion that he returns to New Orleans, but if they can't get a contract done...

Worst case scenario, they simply franchise him!!!

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Bridgewater probably isn’t getting signed to be a starter. The fact that Minnesota doesn’t want him back is telling given they know the most about both the general health of his knee, and how good he’s looked in practice. I heard a rumor that the Patriots might bring him in to groom him behind Brady. He’s the same age as Garoppolo, would come very cheap and some draft analysts compared him to Brady in 2014.

Jets, Bills, Cardinals, Broncos, Vikings are the 5 teams that need to bring in a veteran QB to at least compete to start. Assuming the Saints keep Brees then I think the five guys who will be signed as starters, in some order, are Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, AJ McCarron and Josh McCown. The wildcard would be if someone trades for Nick Foles but I doubt that.

My prediction: 

Vikings get Cousins

Broncos get Keenum

Jets bring back McCown

Bills get Sam Bradford

Cardinals get McCarron

In each of those cases, apart from the team that gets Kirk Cousins, I think you’re just signing the guy as a bridge and will be heavily targeting first round draft QBs. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

What about Bridgewater?  Where do you think he will end up?

The above highlights a point I made in the CLE-Taylor thread - there are actually more viable long-term + bridge/stopgap QB's than buyers this year.  This almost never happens, but with 6 QB's who could be signed as true starters, and 5 rookies targeted for Round 1, and CLE out of the vet QB mix with Taylor, there are more stopgap options than teams who will be looking for one to be their Week 1 starter.

We know that Cousins is going to get paid.  Keenum and McCarron are young and pose no injury risk, so I imagine they'll get a 2-year offer guarantee-wise.

Bridgewater's injury history and slow recovery, Bradford's knee issue, and McCown's age/stage of his career would IMO make them the biggest candidates to get a 1-year deal guarantee-wise. 

But, in the end, there's at least 1 of these guys who will be left out in the cold of a true starting position - and if one of the above teams that doesn't get Cousins gets Darnold/Rosen, they could decide to go without a vet stopgap.   

Either way, if a team isn't that committed to getting a specific guy/type, the last 1-2 teams to get a starter probably will get a bargain-type deal.   As by then they will appear as the last options left to get a chance to rebuild value with a starting gig (even if it's temporary) for those vets for the future.    The tradeoff is that they won't get to choose the guys, other than the last 2+ guys left.   But if you aren't really committed to those guys, it's a chance to get FA value.  

4 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I've read reports that Brees can't talk to other teams until March 14th, even though other players get to start on March 12th.  I don't know why that is, or if it's true, but it's what I read.

Here's one article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/Bolt/Report-Drew-Brees-cant-talk-to-other-teams-on-March-12-116014445

I wonder if it’s because he’s technically under contract with the Saints through 2018 but the contract automatically voids on March 14, rather than being a normal FA?

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Actually, the stuff with Bridgewater ISNT that telling.     In fact, thats one of the more ambiguous situations in the league.    The Vikings were in a tough spot with him insomuch as he got injured and they didnt get a good chance to figure out what they TRULY had in him, and by the time he came back, Keenum had the hot hand and they couldnt take him out.

Ive never been a huge fan of Teddy and I dont think any team should look at him as a BONAFIDE starter, but I think he will get some decent offers....more than the Patriots are likely to pay.   For instance, I could see the Bills and/or Cardinals signing him to a 2 year/$18m deal or something and then still trying to get a QB in the draft.

Also not seeing your logic......you think teams would feel more comfortable signing McCarron to be a starter over Teddy?    At most, its a push.    Teddy is more talented and has definitely shown more.    Neither are trustworthy to give big deals to, but I would absolutely rather give Teddy a prove-it deal over McCarron.

Yeah.  I actually was a believer in Bridgewater, but i honestly don't know what to expect, coming off this prolonged injury hiatus.  It doesn't help him, but i can't imagine it bumps him behind a guy like AJ McCarron.  Not when Teddy has shown so much more potential in the NFL.

As to the whole "Patriots rumour" with Teddy...Yeah, i bet the Pats would love to bring him in and just stash him away until Brady is gone.  But if you're Teddy, why on earth are you taking that offer over others?  Why would he opt for the location where he's mostly likely going to sit for another 2 years...then best case scenario, be the guy who has to come in expected to carry the torch as that Patriots Dynasty crumbles with both Tom and Bill riding off into the sunset together?  It'd be probably career suicide for a guy like Bridgewater.  He's ready to start right now.  He came out as a relatively polished prospect to begin with, and has now had a good dose of experience in the league, plus an inordinate amount of time to sit on the sidelines and learn in that capacity as well.  The last thing he needs is another couple years of "seasoning".  He needs to find a place to latch on as a starter, ASAP.  And if he's ever going to be ready...he's going to be ready now.  It just makes zero sense on his part.

I don't know that anybody is going to give Teddy a clear cut "starter" gig, coming off the massive uncertainty of that injury.  But in a league where a Tyrod Taylor goes for nearly a 2nd round pick...it'd be colossally stupid for there not to be a team that gives him a shot to at least try to nail down a solid starter job, in front of a raw rookie...or in competition with a second subpar stopgap starter type vet signing.  At just the cap/contract cost, with zero picks invested in the venture.

4 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Jags are in the market for a backup. Wouldn’t surprise me if they went after Bridgewater or McCown.

Absolutely expect the Jaguars to be in the mix for a top-tier backup, be it via the draft or in FA.  McCown makes no sense at all to me though.  They've already gone the Henne route for a couple years and it's been fine...but i get the sense they want to move on from that "highly accomplished clipboard holder" prototype, to something with a bit more sparkle.  Either in a young guy in the draft to develop for the future, or in a veteran who is still younger and hasn't yet definitively proven they're not a capable starter.

Now...if you meant AJ McCarron instead of McCown...then yeah.  I'd expect them to be in the mix for him for sure.  He's probably exactly the sort of backup QB they're looking for.  And with an opportunity behind a starter in Bortles who isn't nearly as entrenched as most clear starters.

Also brings up the interesting point, that Chad Henne will be on the market this offseason.  He's not good, and he's also old.  But as far as backups go...surely somebody is going to want him.  He'll be the sort of "Hasselbeck" who a team grabs because he's cheap, experienced, low maintenance, and can probably still manage a game about as well as any of the other leftovers teams will be looking over this summer.  Heck...late into this past preseason, there were literal Jaguars fans suggesting he should maybe actually be the starting QB entering the season.  xD

15 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Bradford will be lucky to find a suiter, his injury history is so horrible, I doubt there will be many takers, if he can even still play???

If I'm in the QB Market, I sign Bradford to be a 1 year starter, while we draft the QBOTF early and have them sit behind Bradford and learn for a year.

Archived