Texans watch: 2017

BwickRedux

7 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

You're on an island on this one, Buno. Tom Brady was a game manager until very recently when the offense started opening up. Game manager is a guy who doesn't take huge risks and plays to win. Just because every game manager the Browns have had sucks doesn't mean they all do. 

What-Excuse-me-Say-what-GIF.gif

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

What-Excuse-me-Say-what-GIF.gif

My definition of game manager is a tactician. Somebody that carves up the defense with short to intermediate routes, takes up time on the clock, uses field possession to his advantage. If you think Brady doesn't do these things, I don't know what to tell you. Clearly, he's the greatest game manager of all time, but he's still a game manager. 

Just now, Reginaldm9 said:

My definition of game manager is a tactician. Somebody that carves up the defense with short to intermediate routes, takes up time on the clock, uses field possession to his advantage. If you think Brady doesn't do these things, I don't know what to tell you. Clearly, he's the greatest game manager of all time, but he's still a game manager. 

We have different definitions of game manager I guess 

agree, a game manager is a guy that will not lose you a game with big time errors, but won't go out and win you games.  Tom Brady will go out and win you games.  He performs at an all world level, whether his top target is Moss, Welker, Gronk, or Danny freaking Amendola.  He helps all of the players on offense around him reach their absolute top potential.  Game managers do not do that.

While the term "game manager" on it's face is seemingly something all QB's would want to aspire to (i.e. someone who manages the games, controls it, moves pieces around like a veteran chess player to get the outcome he desires), typically when used colloquially it has more of a negative leaning connotation to it because it implies the qb is limited and only of neutral benefit to the team - he doesn't do much to lose games like throwing ill-considered interceptions or taking untimely sacks, but he also doesn't do anything to elevate other's play or put the team on his back to win games through his sheer power of will. 

40 minutes ago, BwickRedux said:

While the term "game manager" on it's face is seemingly something all QB's would want to aspire to (i.e. someone who manages the games, controls it, moves pieces around like a veteran chess player to get the outcome he desires), typically when used colloquially it has more of a negative leaning connotation to it because it implies the qb is limited and only of neutral benefit to the team - he doesn't do much to lose games like throwing ill-considered interceptions or taking untimely sacks, but he also doesn't do anything to elevate other's play or put the team on his back to win games through his sheer power of will. 

Exactly.

That said, not a ton of QB's are good enough to do that. Alex Smith would be my idea of a game manager.  

We haven't had a competent game manager since our return IMO.

13 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

To me that would be a field general imo

Game manager is like Trent Dilfer in Baltimore. Dude did nothing special with the ball besides handing it off to Lewis and Holmes

Wow, with all the injuries and suspensions, the Texans WR corps is absolutely decimated. I'm not rooting for injuries and suspensions, but let's hope this translates to LOTS of losses and a higher 1st AND 2nd rounder for us.

1478717474-hope.gif

I just wonder if after 2 drafts and seeing the talent and assets acquired by this front office, if some of the traditional football guys who were laughing/scoffing at this front office haven't changed their tune a bit?

I realize they need to start winning to ultimately prove anything, but I for one have been super impressed and absolutely love their strategy.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just wonder if after 2 drafts and seeing the talent and assets acquired by this front office, if some of the traditional football guys who were laughing/scoffing at this front office haven't changed their tune a bit?

I realize they need to start winning to ultimately prove anything, but I for one have been super impressed and absolutely love their strategy.

Live view of Bill Polian's attitude towards all things Browns:

grumpy%20old%20men%20with%20trophiessmalo-cbs-sports-ex-nfl-gm-bill-polian-says-

Considering after one season we're already seeing the Jets and Bills follow the Browns lead in stripping things down to the studs and trying to acquire draft capital in the process (which one can say the Browns followed Belichicks lead on the latter), I'd say the proof is in the pudding how actual NFL decision makes view our rebuild

8 minutes ago, BwickRedux said:

Considering after one season we're already seeing the Jets and Bills follow the Browns lead in stripping things down to the studs and trying to acquire draft capital in the process (which one can say the Browns followed Belichicks lead on the latter), I'd say the proof is in the pudding how actual NFL decision makes view our rebuild

Or how The Hoodie followed Jimmie Johnson's lead...

It's a proven process but folks seems to want to hate on it because the guys making decisions weren't "football guys", they were "nerds and lawyers".

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is how NBA teams have been doing business fore years, especially the Osweiler deal. 

Folks (Polian for example) didn't seem to even understand the concept somehow...

Speaking of which, after last night's pre-season game, I've re-opened the Brock Osweiler trade value thread in the Jacksonville Jaguars forum.  I'm gonna need you all to vote and help them understand what he's worth--first & Allen Hurns?

Archived