Texans watch: 2017

BwickRedux

7 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I'm betting the other way. Rookie QB on a short week. BoB has NEVER shown a propensity for changing the offense to fit his QB. I don't see more than 30 COMBINED points in this one. Probably like a 13-9 final or something awful like that.

Well done on the exact score predict...just went the other way...

It was even uglier than any of us could've ever thought...

Bengals are trash...

As bad as the Bengals were...Deshaun Watson was poised (and inaccurate and hesitant at times as well)....he made timely plays and the game didn't look too big for him...

They'll scratch out 5 tor 7 wins he can progress on the efforts of Hopkins, Watt, and Clowney. Guaranteed to still beat the colts twice so that's 3 wins total rght there.

14 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I'm betting the other way. Rookie QB on a short week. BoB has NEVER shown a propensity for changing the offense to fit his QB. I don't see more than 30 COMBINED points in this one. Probably like a 13-9 final or something awful like that.

All hail freaky.

A couple things from someone you didn't even watch the game. (Go Tribe!)

1 - Watson WILL NOT be able to make that TD run every single week. He will get killed by a LB or a FS. 

2 - Texans are trash. Just slightly less trashy than the BenGals. We should beat them this year, easily. 

3 - Cinci is trash. We are going to get 2 free wins from them. 

4 - I'm glad I didn't witness this game. It sounded horrible. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

2 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

A couple things from someone you didn't even watch the game. (Go Tribe!)

1 - Watson WILL NOT be able to make that TD run every single week. He will get killed by a LB or a FS. 

2 - Texans are trash. Just slightly less trashy than the BenGals. We should beat them this year, easily. 

3 - Cinci is trash. We are going to get 2 free wins from them. 

4 - I'm glad I didn't witness this game. It sounded horrible. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

Pretty much.  I am excited that I don't believe that the Browns finish in the basement in the AFC North this year.  Moving up a notch in the standings is definite progress.  Last night was rare in that no matter who won the game, it was a positive for us.  If Houston wins, it helps us in the division, if Cinci wins, it helps us with our build in next years draft.

23 hours ago, Mind Character said:

As bad as the Bengals were...Deshaun Watson was poised (and inaccurate and hesitant at times as well)....he made timely plays and the game didn't look too big for him...

They'll scratch out 5 tor 7 wins he can progress on the efforts of Hopkins, Watt, and Clowney. Guaranteed to still beat the colts twice so that's 3 wins total rght there.

7 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Pretty much.  I am excited that I don't believe that the Browns finish in the basement in the AFC North this year.  Moving up a notch in the standings is definite progress.  Last night was rare in that no matter who won the game, it was a positive for us.  If Houston wins, it helps us in the division, if Cinci wins, it helps us with our build in next years draft.

What game were you two watching?  You sure you aren't the same profile to both be this wrong? ;) Deshaun was not at all poised.  He left the pocket way too often and got straight LUCKY on that touchdown run; there was nothing explosive or jaw dropping that he did what any other scrambling passer could/would have done.  He was 15/24 for 125 yards, 98 net yards with adjustment for sack yards.  He dinked and dunked and had no passing touchdowns.  He was not special running the ball.  As a passer, he was Alex Smith at his worst.  There was nothing to be excited about with Watson for a Texans fan.  He honestly looks like half the dude Deshone is.  Don't drink the feelgood story kool-aid.  Bill O'Brien WILL be fired by the end of the season.  Book it.

39 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

What game were you two watching?  You sure you aren't the same profile to both be this wrong? ;) Deshaun was not at all poised.  He left the pocket way too often and got straight LUCKY on that touchdown run; there was nothing explosive or jaw dropping that he did what any other scrambling passer could/would have done.  He was 15/24 for 125 yards, 98 net yards with adjustment for sack yards.  He dinked and dunked and had no passing touchdowns.  He was not special running the ball.  As a passer, he was Alex Smith at his worst.  There was nothing to be excited about with Watson for a Texans fan.  He honestly looks like half the dude Deshone is.  Don't drink the feelgood story kool-aid.  Bill O'Brien WILL be fired by the end of the season.  Book it.

I didn't say he was explosive...I didn't say his play was jaw dropping...and I certainly don't buy into whatever feel good story kool-aid your talking about...

I didn't like Watson as a prospect for us, saw a lot of things not to like in his game so far in the pros, but objectively he did positive things in that game (and bad as I clearly noted) if you actually watched.

I said the game wasn't too big for him (that's an element of poise; that he made timely plays in bigger moments (that's an element of poised play). Said that he was poised (good), inaccurate (bad), and hesitant (bad).

What about that mix of goods/bads is so hard to understand?

He made good throws to Hopkins late,  calmed down as the game went on, and put them in position to seal the game with a FG late.

They lost 3 TEs and played OL at TE; his OL was trash; beyond Hopkins his WR core is trash (even though I loved Braxton miller at OSU); RB play was meh...going into the game he either had to throw it to Hopkins or run to make plays....and that's how it turned out in the game.

That's objectively how it was. He's a rookie...but battled back from huge hits and adversity.

I've said nothing about his long run. I'm more impressed by his final run to get a better FG attempt.

If we were Texans fans, I'd be thinking "He's inaccurate, hesitant, but poised and can battle threw adversity...we need to surround him with talent and he can win us some games"

19 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I didn't say he was explosive...I didn't say his play was jaw dropping...and I certainly don't buy into whatever feel good story kool-aid your talking about...

I didn't like Watson as a prospect for us, saw a lot of things not to like in his game so far in the pros, but objectively he did positive things in that game (and bad as I clearly noted) if you actually watched.

I said the game wasn't too big for him (that's an element of poise; that he made timely plays in bigger moments (that's an element of poised play). Said that he was poised (good), inaccurate (bad), and hesitant (bad).

What about that mix of goods/bads is so hard to understand?

He made good throws to Hopkins late,  calmed down as the game went on, and put them in position to seal the game with a FG late.

They lost 3 TEs and played OL at TE; his OL was trash; beyond Hopkins his WR core is trash (even though I loved Braxton miller at OSU); RB play was meh...going into the game he either had to throw it to Hopkins or run to make plays....and that's how it turned out in the game.

That's objectively how it was. He's a rookie...but battled back from huge hits and adversity.

I've said nothing about his long run. I'm more impressed by his final run to get a better FG attempt.

If we were Texans fans, I'd be thinking "He's inaccurate, hesitant, but poised and can battle threw adversity...we need to surround him with talent and he can win us some games"

I didn't see anything to make me think he demonstrated poise.  He hit Hopkins wide open in the middle.  He was mostly one read all night.  He didn't show any real touch or accuracy to make one think he's any better than Savage at this point.  Literally all he did was not throw a pick as far as I can tell.  In other "unrelated news", he threw dink & dunks all night and took no risks.  He escaped the pocket and ran a few times, which is cool but is supposed to be complimentary to one's passing skills.  Whenever another passer does nothing with his arm and then makes some decent runs, people are usually extremely disappointed.  I have no idea where you are getting any of this optimism from, especially as a non-Texans fan.  Now if you said, "He's missing a bunch of guys and somehow survived with a win, which will be good for his getting acclimated to the league", well yeah.  I don't think the game necessarily looked too big for him, but I don't see anything he did to support putting that idea to sleep at this point.  With some time to see how he works, I could see him throwing three picks next week vs. a team that has more tape on him in how they are using him.  But we'll see--hope I'm wrong as I like the person of Deshaun Watson.

Archived