The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

3 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I do kinda feel bad for Tate Martell, but the more I thought about it, he just hasn't shown me anything that tells me he can be an elite college QB for the duration of a season. Now, he's gonna have to earn that role the hard way, and Fields is no simple task.

I am excited to see Fields in this offense. With all the incoming weapons, this team can really be special.

EXACTLY

when at any time did Martell show he has any type of star potential.

but Haskins first moment stepping on the field we saw potential for greatness

honestly Martell has shown me nothing in his opportunities that says special to me. Neither in the spring games or regular season

Fields showed me much more in his opportunities than Martell has.  

Gotta think Martell bounces most likely to the PAC 12

I'm thinking UCLA Washington State, or Oregon 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Garrett Wilson looks pretty good. 

He's going to get significant reps as a true frosh.  Probably not a starter, but he'll be in the rotation.  Mack will assuming he's healthy.  Olave flashed what he can be in the Michigan game.  Victor I'm not sure will ever be consistent enough to be more than a rotational guy.  Jury is still out on Harris, Babb, Blue, and Gardner.  Health is key for Babb.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

EXACTLY

when at any time did Martell show he has any type of star potential.

but Haskins first moment stepping on the field we saw potential for greatness

honestly Martell has shown me nothing in his opportunities that says special to me. Neither in the spring games or regular season

Fields showed me much more in his opportunities than Martell has.  

Gotta think Martell bounces most likely to the PAC 12

I'm thinking UCLA Washington State, or Oregon 

Well when have we ever seen a true Martell. Spring and mop up duty is nothing specia. Haskins didn’t show out until the Michigan game where he was playing actually meaningful snaps. When he played mop up duty and in the spring the year prior he didn’t look like a QB1 prospect. 

Just let’s wait and see what he could be if the offense is tailored for him. Tate would have been great in the JTB offense. 

No way in hell I would write him off. Especially with how special he looked in HS. 

• Like 1

My god Garrett Wilson SLAYED it today. Two of the greatest TD catches I've witnessed out of a high school prospect...IN THE SAME GAME!!

I mean, he's the receiver I've wanted on this team since after we won it all in '15, except he seems to have the upside to compete for the Biletnikoff. 

Like, I don't know what else to say. Watching the plays he made today was orgasmic.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

My god Garrett Wilson SLAYED it today. Two of the greatest TD catches I've witnessed out of a high school prospect...IN THE SAME GAME!!

I mean, he's the receiver I've wanted on this team since after we won it all in '15, except he seems to have the upside to compete for the Biletnikoff. 

Like, I don't know what else to say. Watching the plays he made today was orgasmic.

He might be the best WR on the team next year

On 1/5/2019 at 6:29 PM, buno67 said:

Well when have we ever seen a true Martell. Spring and mop up duty is nothing specia. Haskins didn’t show out until the Michigan game where he was playing actually meaningful snaps. When he played mop up duty and in the spring the year prior he didn’t look like a QB1 prospect. 

Just let’s wait and see what he could be if the offense is tailored for him. Tate would have been great in the JTB offense. 

No way in hell I would write him off. Especially with how special he looked in HS. 

Totally 100% disagree with the Haskins part, he showcased his arm the second he got on campus. Come on, he had wow throws every game he got in last year, his arm talent was/is plain as day. Let's call it for what it is, all of Martell's wow moments were with his legs and cannot remember one wow throw that tells me he can excel in Day's offense. I fear teams are going to stack the box and dare us to beat them with consistent passing, that is not Martell at least not now. JMO

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Totally 100% disagree with the Haskins part, he showcased his arm the second he got on campus. Come on, he had wow throws every game he got in last year, his arm talent was/is plain as day. Let's call it for what it is, all of Martell's wow moments were with his legs and cannot remember one wow throw that tells me he can excel in Day's offense. I fear teams are going to stack the box and dare us to beat them with consistent passing, that is not Martell at least not now. JMO

Yeah the dude showed off arm talent but Josh Allen’s has amazing arm talent as well. Just saying before Haskins played in the 2nd half of the Michigan game 2 years ago, we had no idea what we had in him. That game truly showed his ability. Spring game and mop never told you he would be a record setting QB

Acting like Martell is JTB, he is a far better passer than JTB. Also days has a strong background of Chip Kelly. So he can always incorpate those concepts and also mixed in with Urbz concept  

Also with the like of Fields, tOSU, need to utilize a Kelly/Urbz offense. They can’t use Fields like Haskins. 

45 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Yeah the dude showed off arm talent but Josh Allen’s has amazing arm talent as well. Just saying before Haskins played in the 2nd half of the Michigan game 2 years ago, we had no idea what we had in him. That game truly showed his ability. Spring game and mop never told you he would be a record setting QB

Acting like Martell is JTB, he is a far better passer than JTB. Also days has a strong background of Chip Kelly. So he can always incorpate those concepts and also mixed in with Urbz concept  

Also with the like of Fields, tOSU, need to utilize a Kelly/Urbz offense. They can’t use Fields like Haskins. 

We'll just have to agree to disagee on this one, we had plenty to look at IMO but also as a coach, I look at things different. Now what I CAN say is that we saw that Haskins can do what we saw in previous mop up duty snaps against a high level defense

And TBH, I am not going to just assume Martell can pass the ball, we can try to compare him to JTB but how when Martell has done literally nothing of that sort thus far in his career?  Barrett HAS over 9k yards 100 passing touchdowns and we are just going to assume Martell is a better passer when he has not shown anything on film to suggest otherwise? come on, he is going to have to prove it to me and I think that's fair.

Out of these highlights:

-Majority of them are runs (designed runs or runs from the pocket)

-He isn't comfortable navagating exclusively from the pocket

-When he did pass the ball, he completed only one pass of over 10+ yards

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

We'll just have to agree to disagee on this one, we had plenty to look at IMO but also as a coach, I look at things different. Now what I CAN say is that we saw that Haskins can do what we saw in previous mop up duty snaps against a high level defense

And TBH, I am not going to just assume Martell can pass the ball, we can try to compare him to JTB but how when Martell has done literally nothing of that sort thus far in his career?  Barrett HAS over 9k yards 100 passing touchdowns and we are just going to assume Martell is a better passer when he has not shown anything on film to suggest otherwise? come on, he is going to have to prove it to me and I think that's fair.

Out of these highlights:

-Majority of them are runs (designed runs or runs from the pocket)

-He isn't comfortable navagating exclusively from the pocket

-When he did pass the ball, he completed only one pass of over 10+ yards

I’m assuming he is a better because you watch both JTB and Martell coming out of HS. Martell was a lot better and it’s not like Martell was going up against scrub talent. Prolly went up against the toughest schedule in the nation with the teams they faced. Tate won’t be as good as a runner as JTB and prolly won’t be as good of a leader as JTB but I believe he has the better arm. I was prolly the biggest fan/supporter of JTB on here too  

Again the mop up duty Didn’t truly show anything last year for Haskins just like this year for Tate. It showed you Haskins has a great arm but never showed you he could be  top tier QB prospect Coming out and a guy who would throw 50TD passes. 

Just like last year, I didn’t hold anything against Haskins cause he was playing in an offense built around JTB. Not gonna hold anything against Tate when he was playing on an offense built for Haskins. 

Watching the highlights he had at least 4 passes that were at least 10yards or more  also I’m not going to kill him for attacking deep. That’s something for Haskins to do. A QB like Tate you should be attacking horizontal as much as you would vertically. 

He was one of the best dual threat QBs in the nation. He should look to be running the ball. Great thing next year is the offense will fit both Fields and Tate.  

I’m just not gonna crown Fields as the starter. 

I’m just excited that with Tate and Fields the rushing attack should be at full force. Last year was the worst rushing attack since fickell interim days. It makes sense because of Haskins passing ability but the team struggled to find a balance

Edited by buno67

40 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Tate won’t be as good as a runner as JTB

Lol, this is great, I disagree with this too. Not only does Martell have fresh legs, he has explosive legs, something JTB never had, I could easily see Martell if he were the starter have 1,200 and 15 or so TDs especially in the B1G. To be fair, I would definitely use Urban's Braxton Miller playbook for Martell

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Lol, this is great, I disagree with this too. Not only does Martell have fresh legs, he has explosive legs, something JTB never had, I could easily see Martell if he were the starter have 1,200 and 15 or so TDs especially in the B1G. To be fair, I would definitely use Urban's Braxton Miller playbook for Martell

to me, when I’m thinking about it. JTB had the size that you could run him between the tackles. That when it was 1yard to go,  you knew Urbz was going to call some kind of QB power scheme. JTB could be just a RB back there. That when you run option, the RB could be the inside threat and at times the QB can be the inside threat. JTB has enough legs to be a threat running the ball from any play or set  

Martel is for sure be the more explosive and should always be pulling to get to the outside. I just would want to be running QB power counter and trap Iike you could with JTB. To me which I thought was so dumb that when they put in a Tate goalline package, they tried to run him mainly between the tackles. Never really allowing him to attack the edges. 

A triple option attack with him and dobbins reading in the back field with a Paris Campbell pitch threat of Tate ran it could have been deadly. 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1