The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

A little surprising.  Still expect good things with Myers at C and Davis at RG.  Opportunity for someone at LG.

Agreed. I thought he’d see year 4. Not at the elite level. Not many OLs outside of the premiere guys leave after 3 years. And his center play this year wasn’t at the level he played guard, where he’d have been next year. 

Have to like some of our OL upside though. Meyers has gotten good reviews and is hopefully ready heading into year 3. Davis got good experience down the stretch and is another big-time former recruit. The other guard spot is a real unknown. Wouldn’t mind seeing a Harry Miller or Matthew Jones throw their names in the mix, though not many first/second year guys are able to do that. Bowen could either end up at right tackle or guard, like he played pre-injury. NPF would be the ideal choice if the development has happened. 

32 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Co-DC Alex Grinch leaving for OU. 

Seems Schiano is staying and someone else will be joining aboard. 😑

Damn I was hoping he would become the future DC. Still think Schiano might be gone tho. So who knows. 

Wonder if this opens up the door to steal Al Washington from Michigan now. 

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Damn I was hoping he would become the future DC. Still think Schiano might be gone tho. So who knows. 

Buzz seems to be that Washington will be coming but will basically fill Bill Davis spot, with talk being he won’t be back. Washington would be a nice pickup and blow to UM also. 

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Buzz seems to be that Washington will be coming but will basically fill Bill Davis spot, with talk being he won’t be back. Washington would be a nice pickup and blow to UM also. 

Ok, what are the rumors to fill the other position then? You hear anything on that?

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Ok, what are the rumors to fill the other position then? You hear anything on that?

Haven’t heard anything there. I wasn’t even aware Grinch would leave, I figured it would be Schiano. For all I know, Davis stays and Washington fills the void, but most seem to think Davis is out. I really don’t know who the Assistant DC would be though, assuming Schiano stays. I’d have thought Ash would be back if Rutgers hadn’t kept him another year. 

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

A little surprising.  Still expect good things with Myers at C and Davis at RG.  Opportunity for someone at LG.

Probably Bowen to start with his experience

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I'm all for Marcus Freeman and Washington on the LBs

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Any opinions on him?  What should I expect?

Meh, probably better to reference his work at WSU than us, he didn't have much play calling responsibilities here

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Any opinions on him?  What should I expect?

He had a good reputation when he came over. He was tough to judge here. Grinch didn’t like his Schiano ran the D, and I can’t blame him. He was basically the safeties coach and an assistant to Schiano. The safety play was really bad early in the year, because Schiano had the safety out there with Pryor over White. Once the personnel got figured out though, things were better. Like I said, he’s an unknown in his one year here because he wasn’t really in charge but seemed to be a hot name last off-season. Could be good. 

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He had a good reputation when he came over. He was tough to judge here. Grinch didn’t like his Schiano ran the D, and I can’t blame him. He was basically the safeties coach and an assistant to Schiano. The safety play was really bad early in the year, because Schiano had the safety out there with Pryor over White. Once the personnel got figured out though, things were better. Like I said, he’s an unknown in his one year here because he wasn’t really in charge but seemed to be a hot name last off-season. Could be good. 

The success he had at Washington State with Mike Leach gives me some hope.

12 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Wasn't he a part of recruiting Justin Fields to Ohio State? Doesn't seem like the contribution of someone who cares about comfortably claiming his starting spot back...not that he's worried about competition.

I do kinda feel bad for Tate Martell, but the more I thought about it, he just hasn't shown me anything that tells me he can be an elite college QB for the duration of a season. Now, he's gonna have to earn that role the hard way, and Fields is no simple task.

I am excited to see Fields in this offense. With all the incoming weapons, this team can really be special.

• Like 1