The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/545624/year/2016/jt-barrett

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/545624/year/2015/jt-barrett

maybe not know for 2 picks in a game, but he disappears in the big games. just look at those games the last two years.

Meatchicken

MSU

Clemson

So you go back through 4years is starting and starting 43games and he has had less than a handful of bad games, that’s pretty darn good. Some of those games it wasn’t all him. 

I also wouldn’t add Michigan in that list. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

So you go back through 4years is starting and starting 43games and he has had less than a handful of bad games, that’s pretty darn good. Some of those games it wasn’t all him. 

I also wouldn’t add Michigan in that list. 

I am not saying that he hasn't had way more good/great games than bad... I am just saying he crapped to bed in a lot of the "big" games.

No...it's not all him, but he is the QB.

I would add them.. 15-32 124yds 0 td's and 1 Pick is bad

Hey... I hope that he has fixed those issues, he has all the confidence in the world, is great the rest of the year and wins us another championship.

JT has definitely had issues with good defenses in past big games. Along with Prince’s blocking, JT was a huge culprit against both PSU and UM last year (and obviously Clemson). In certain games, he was entirely incapable of hitting open men more than 8 yards downfield. It was to the point that entire defenses were completely stacking the box, because they knew Barrett couldn’t throw downfield. Offenses can’t win when a defense doesn’t respect the air attack. The last few games, I’ve seen JT actually scan through progressions and find some open guys down the field. It’s often still slightly late on the timing, which is a concern against good defenses, but it’s gotten better. Credit to the blocking also. It’s been nice to see our receivers actually getting to show what they can do.

For now, JT has played well, granted, he has done that most of his career against bad defenses. I’m reakly hoping we can see that against PSU. The optimism is validated if he can perform on that stage. 

59 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I am not saying that he hasn't had way more good/great games than bad... I am just saying he crapped to bed in a lot of the "big" games.

No...it's not all him, but he is the QB.

I would add them.. 15-32 124yds 0 td's and 1 Pick is bad

Hey... I hope that he has fixed those issues, he has all the confidence in the world, is great the rest of the year and wins us another championship.

If JT Barrett was purely a pocket QB, than yeah but you also have to add his ability to run the ball because it is a huge threat with him. Same michigan game he had 124yards on the ground and a TD. I hate it that he ran that much but Michigan wanted to see if JT would beat them running the ball. Also his INT was a tipped pass that was a little high but should of been a catch.

Edited by buno67

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Holy ****.

I just realized JT has 21 TDs and 1 INT.

He doesnt turn the ball over, thats the only benefit with his passing ability. He doesnt make bad decisions with the ball. Well he does at times when it comes to throwing it to his own teammates but he rarely makes bad enough decisions with the ball where the other team takes advantage of it and gets a turnover  

18 minutes ago, buno67 said:

If JT Barrett was purely a pocket QB, than yeah but you also have to add his ability to run the ball because it is a huge threat with him. Same michigan game he had 124yards on the ground and a TD. I hate it that he ran that much but Michigan wanted to see if JT would beat them running the ball. Also his INT was a tipped pass that was a little high but should of been a catch.

His running is great..it's also part of the problem.. He would see one guy covered and take off running..

Again..these issues haven't popped up as much this year.. I hope he is better.. I hope that it's Kevin Wilsons influence.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Berry at fullback has transformed this offense too.

yes.. dude is a beast

3 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

His running is great..it's also part of the problem.. He would see one guy covered and take off running..

Again..these issues haven't popped up as much this year.. I hope he is better.. I hope that it's Kevin Wilsons influence.

Well reports said from his first year starting that was his main read. Look at his target, if not open, take off and run. I also wouldnt blame him for doing so when it is such a successful aspect of his game. Just sucks that the OC would rely on it too much..

26 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Berry at fullback has transformed this offense too.

He’s a really nice weapon. He’s not in the mold of a traditional TE with that 6’3” build. I like how they’ve used him a bit as a hybrid FB/TE. As a blocker, he’s probably most effective having downhill momentum with his explosiveness as opposed to being lined up across from someone on the line. He’s a really athletic weapon to have though. I’d like to see him get even more meaningful plays than he’s currently getting. 

Baugh has been fine, but we will be good next year at TE. Farrell/Hausman will be third year guys as traditional TEs and Berry will be back also. Then, throw in Jeremy Ruckert. Not sure how he stays off the field. Elite, top 15 player in America, which you don’t see at TE. I’m wondering if he’s used more as a tight end or maybe split out in the slot.

19 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well reports said from his first year starting that was his main read. Look at his target, if not open, take off and run. I also wouldnt blame him for doing so when it is such a successful aspect of his game. Just sucks that the OC would rely on it too much..

I think a lot of the running also comes from the zone read. DEs in some of those big games key on the RB and force JT to keep it. Then with all those guys near the line on defense, JT wouldn’t get very far. When they do that, it’s better off that they just don’t run the zone read and run plays designed for the RB.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I think a lot of the running also comes from the zone read. DEs in some of those big games key on the RB and force JT to keep it. Then with all those guys near the line on defense, JT wouldn’t get very far. When they do that, it’s better off that they just don’t run the zone read and run plays designed for the RB.

I understand that aspect, but I remember reading or hearing from an Ohio state report that under Herman, JTs read to look at his #1 guy, if he wasnt open, he needs to take off and run. 

some recruiting updates. 

QB -- I think we're locked in with Emory Jones. Put feelers out to Jarren Williams (4* UK commit) and Quincy Patterson (3* VT commit), but Jones didn't take his OV to Bama and is gonna be visiting OSU next weekend for the Penn State game. 
RB -- Done, Master Teague and Brian Snead are locked in. Not really recruiting anyone else. 
H-Back -- Done, Jaelan Gill is locked in. Not recruiting anyone else.
WR -- Blue Smith is solid, Kam Babb is taking his OV for the Penn State game and will likely be committing then. I think we take a third WR. A few names to look out for here: (1) Chris Olave: Low 3* who has 818 yards and 11 TD's through 5 games for Mission Hills (CA). His QB is Jack Tuttle, a top 100 recruit who is committed to Utah but has schools like Bama/USC knocking on his door. I think he's a take if he keeps playing this well. (2) Alonte Taylor: Top 150 recruit who is committed to Tennessee, gonna take an OV to OSU and is very flippable with Butch Jones's imminent firing. (3) Rondale Moore: If we take a slot receiver only, Moore (4.33 40/ 42'' VJ) is a freaky athlete who will be a take. If not he's gonna flip to Purdue, I'd guess. Currently committed to Texas. 
TE -- Done, Jeremy Ruckert is solid. Not recruiting anyone else. 
OL -- Max Wray and Matthew Jones are solid. A host of other options here. (1) Jack Carman -- Still probably lead, will be battle to NSD. Visiting for Penn State. (2) Rasheed Walker -- Penn State has room in their class now for him, but we really want him. Top 100 recruit, taking an unofficial for the Penn State game and will taken an OV later on. (3) Nicholas Petit-Frere -- Schiano has a dynamite relationship with his school (Berkeley Prep (FL)), and he's gonna take an OV to OSU at some point, and we are in the top group with ND/Bama/UF. (4) Cade Mays -- Committed to Tennessee, 5* recruit, and will be taking an OV to Ohio State. Have some shot to flip, though pretty small. (5) Jamaree Slayer is taking an OV for Penn State, basically no chance though. 

EDGE -- Brenton Cox took a visit to Bama but he's solid. From there, we have a mess. Three guys left on the board. (1) Micah Parsons almost certainly won't be coming to OSU for off-field reasons. (2) Tyreke Smith is a priority but is definitely leaning Penn State. Taking his OV for the OSU/Penn State game. (3) Jayson Oweh pretty much between OSU/Penn State but with Michigan charging in late. OSU is in good shape here thanks to Larry Johnson. 
DT -- Taron Vincent and Antwuan Jackson are solid. We will take one more guy here I think. The options (1) Tommy Togai just took his OV to Washington and called off all other visits. He is gonna decide between UW and OSU. I think we trail, but have a real chance here. (2) Christian Barmore is a low 3* from Philly who is blowing up. Just got offered by Bama/LSU/Pitt/Florida/Georgia in the past few weeks. OSU may offer. He's a sleeper who could come here. (3) Tyler Friday is a top 100 recruit who is probably gonna go to Michigan or Penn State but OSU keeps recruiting him. 
LB -- Teradja Mitchell, Dallas Gant, and K'Vaughan Pope are solid as can be. We will likely take one more here. (1) Christopher Oats is the wildcard. Has an offer, though it isn't committable. He's a 4* from Cincinnati Winton Woods HS, and has the frame to move down and play edge (6'4'' // 230). (2) Solomon Tuliaupupu is gonna take an OV to OSU, and this is an OSU/USC battle. (3) Palaie Gaoteote  is gonna take an OV to OSU, has Haskell Garrett and Tate Martell in his ear, and is delaying his signing to NSD. OSU vs USC here too (currently SC commit)
CB -- Sevyn Banks is solid. We want one more here. Options are (1) Anthony Cook -- trending heavy UT right now, decides in two weeks. OSU has been the leader forever, great relationships, he's friends with Okudah and Browning plus his trainer loves OSU. But his friends are all going UT and his OV there was unbelievable. (2) Tyson Campbell / Patrick Surtain -- Two elite American Heritage (FL) corners. Doubt either comes to OSU but they'll both take OVs. (3) Christian Tutt / Jaycee Horn -- Low four stars who don't totally fit the OSU mold at corner, and are definitely on the backburner but if OSU pushes for will come here. Both have or will take OVs. 
S -- Marcus Hooker is solid. Josh Proctor just took an unofficial to OU. Jaiden Woodbey is rumored to be shaky. Some uncertainty here. Not pushing for anyone else. 

I think all 17 commits stay. The only ones in question are Proctor, Woodbey and Jones. I think OSU then takes 8 more for a class of 25
(1) Kam Babb - WR
(2) Chris Olave -- WR
(3) Jayson Oweh -- EDGE
(4) Jack Carman -- OL
(5) Rasheed Walker -- OL
(6) Tommy Togai -- DT
(7) Solomon Tuliaupupu -- OLB
(8) Christian Tutt -- CB