The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

On 12/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, buno67 said:

If it wasn’t for the bowl banned, Ohio St would have won the title in ‘12 over ND…

Notre Dame had to vacate their 2012 season though. So ND in 2012 is as tainted as OSU In 2010.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I’m a spoiled fan, but I honestly don’t care about the Rose Bowl. That Michigan loss took the air out of the season.

This game means 100000x more to Utah than it does OSU. I won’t be shocked if we lose.

Agreed. I'll still watch it and hope we win but it won't ruin my day if we don't. With all these people sitting out bc they're going pro, I'll really be anxious to see some young cats getting their chance to see the field for a while instead of just garbage time

12 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Wilson, Olave, Garrett, NPF all officially opted out of the game. Can’t blame them.

Can't blame them?  This is the Rose Bowl and even that game is not big enough or important enough for them to play in? 

Maybe they have a point where if they get COVID during the Rose Bowl events/game then their training will be delayed.  The game is in what 5 days though, what they all of a sudden decide not to play in it?    So they were not practicing this entire time since they last played in November 27th?  They have been doing draft prep this entire time and just not saying they are sitting out the game?

Who knows maybe they all go COVID and do not want the negative attention or potential health questions raised from it.  Just seems odd to say I am not playing in the bowl game when it will be played this week. 

Very odd but is common place in college today.  Honestly if this is how the bowl system will be, might as well get rid of the Playoff because it makes the other bowl games not important to the players and then it is not important to the fans either.  Thought maybe the NIL money could change things but I guess not, will be curious who comes back to school though so far no big surprises.   

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Very odd but is common place in college today.  Honestly if this is how the bowl system will be, might as well get rid of the Playoff because it makes the other bowl games not important to the players and then it is not important to the fans either. 

Or expand it to 8 teams. Why play a meaningless game at the end of the season if you’re all but a surefire first round pick if there’s nothing meaningful to play for?

23 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Can't blame them?  This is the Rose Bowl and even that game is not big enough or important enough for them to play in? 

Maybe they have a point where if they get COVID during the Rose Bowl events/game then their training will be delayed.  The game is in what 5 days though, what they all of a sudden decide not to play in it?    So they were not practicing this entire time since they last played in November 27th?  They have been doing draft prep this entire time and just not saying they are sitting out the game?

Who knows maybe they all go COVID and do not want the negative attention or potential health questions raised from it.  Just seems odd to say I am not playing in the bowl game when it will be played this week. 

Very odd but is common place in college today.  Honestly if this is how the bowl system will be, might as well get rid of the Playoff because it makes the other bowl games not important to the players and then it is not important to the fans either.  Thought maybe the NIL money could change things but I guess not, will be curious who comes back to school though so far no big surprises.   

The playoffs aren't the issue.  Even in the BCS non-Championship games had less meaning.  The "issue" is that players are now empowered to take their careers/futures in their own hands.  I mean why should a player expected to get drafted in the first 2-3 rounds play in a game that won't let them win a championship and could only hurt their draft stock if they get hurt.  A single big game isn't going suddenly make them a 1st round draft pick, at least not by any smart team and those that would make that decision they probably wouldn't want to go to anyways.

If anything this is better for Ohio State in the long run.  Sure they might lose the game which makes the fanbase feel kinda salty, but if a recruit decides to go elsewhere after a single loss, then that's probably for the best because they probably would've joined the portal if they didn't crack the rotation early on anyways.  On the bright side though, all of those players that have been behind the players sitting out will get all the 1st team reps, they'll get to play in a nationally televised game in a big time atmosphere, and the team will be able to get an even better idea of who will be the starters next year.

11 minutes ago, Raves said:

The playoffs aren't the issue.  Even in the BCS non-Championship games had less meaning.  The "issue" is that players are now empowered to take their careers/futures in their own hands.  I mean why should a player expected to get drafted in the first 2-3 rounds play in a game that won't let them win a championship and could only hurt their draft stock if they get hurt.  A single big game isn't going suddenly make them a 1st round draft pick, at least not by any smart team and those that would make that decision they probably wouldn't want to go to anyways.

If anything this is better for Ohio State in the long run.  Sure they might lose the game which makes the fanbase feel kinda salty, but if a recruit decides to go elsewhere after a single loss, then that's probably for the best because they probably would've joined the portal if they didn't crack the rotation early on anyways.  On the bright side though, all of those players that have been behind the players sitting out will get all the 1st team reps, they'll get to play in a nationally televised game in a big time atmosphere, and the team will be able to get an even better idea of who will be the starters next year.

Then why even play the season at all?  I would say 20+ players who will most likely be 1st round picks where 1st round picks to me before the season, so why even play the season?  They could get hurt?  Why not sit out all of this past year?

If the bowl games are this meaningless to so many, why even have them?  Playing a non-conference opponent, on a big time stage, after both teams could prepare for each other for almost a month, on National TV used to mean something.  It did show a different view of them in their college career, I guess that is all out the window.

Still would not be shocked if one or multiple dudes have COVID and if not why was this not told a month ago?  Curious if they practiced this entire time with the team or were doing draft prep and Ohio State just did not provide that info.

On 12/25/2021 at 3:05 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/12/128128/former-arizona-state-running-back-deamonte-trayanum-transferring-to-ohio-state-to-play-linebacker

Kid from Akron. Anyone know anything about him? Hopefully he's able to play well while we get these youngsters up to speed. 

He is highly talented, we originally recruited him as an LB and his body is already college ready. I'd treat this like a high level transfer

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 8:49 PM, NateDawg said:

Wilson, Olave, Garrett, NPF all officially opted out of the game. Can’t blame them.

Not at all, this is tOSU and it will be a great opportunity to get a look at the guys behind them (who are pretty much elite)

- At WR, we are absolutely loaded. JSN is already becoming one of the top WRs in the country already to go with Fleming and Marvin Harrison Jr. Maybe Egbuka comes back from whatever he had.

- At OL, they probably just slide Munford back to LT and plug in Matt Jones at LG and that should be a really good group

- Haskell Garrett has been meh this season IMO, so knowing Larry Johnson, he probably would go with Taron Vincent or Hamilton but Tyleik Williams is clearly better than both. 

- As weird as it sounds, there will definitely be a drop off but if we coach these talented guys up we should be good

• Like 1