The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Al Washington might be the worst OSU assistant that I can remember from a "getting production from his position group" standpoint that I've ever seen.

Zach Smith? We should have had some better WRs production when he was here with some of those guys he had

Bill Davis as well, he did nothing with our LBs like Washington. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Major adjustment to our schedule for next year:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2022/01/128637/ohio-state-s-2022-big-ten-schedule-reconfigured

Initially having PSU and MSU, in their buildings, on back-to-back weeks is something I won't miss.

Think it’s crazy they open up with 5 straight home games

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Looking like Tim Walton is going to come over from the NFL to be the cornerbacks coach. Former Ohio State grad and longtime nfl defensive coach. Al Washington is going to be out, Jim Knowles to coach linebackers along with the defense. Change was needed.

Kinda glad the DC is going to coach LBs. Worked well with Fickell the last few years before he left

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Think it’s crazy they open up with 5 straight home games

Yeah, if we can survive ND, getting a couple non-conference games before Wisky will be much appreciated. Again, just glad we're not doing back-to-back road trips to Happy Valley and East Lansing and that they're spread out now.

22 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Zach Smith? We should have had some better WRs production when he was here with some of those guys he had

Bill Davis as well, he did nothing with our LBs like Washington. 

Zach was no doubt a dumpster fire, but his position group was also contingent upon J.T. Barrett, whereas the linebackers have been BAD despite quality play and super highly touted and ranked recruits who haven't been developed there.

It was a defense that couldn’t tackle and didn’t attack. When you have a Linebacker group graduate that were all highly recruited and never contributed meaningfully in college, you have to pin that development on the linebackers coach. Al Washington not returning was the easiest of easy decisions. Even if he is a draw to recruits and seems to be a good relationship builder. Coombs I would have loved to have stayed and coached our cornerbacks given his track record as a position coach and churning out NFL guys at the position. Maybe things were getting stale though. Hopefully these next guys work out and also keep the recruiting at their positions at a high-level. LB and offensive line are the two position groups we need to see the greatest improvement. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:18 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Kudos to Day for demanding excellence out of his coaching staff, it may be harsh but its no different than what Saban does. Hopefully those guys demand a certain toughness and attitude we haven't had since 14/15

I agree as long as he’s willing to do the same himself. No excuses for the gradual deterioration of the lack of physicality on the offensive side, the lack of dedication to consistently running the football, and the clear discrepancy of late against top tier competition in big time games. I’m optimistic, but I’m not absolving Day of blame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I agree as long as he’s willing to do the same himself. No excuses for the gradual deterioration of the lack of physicality on the offensive side, the lack of dedication to consistently running the football, and the clear discrepancy of late against top tier competition in big time games. I’m optimistic, but I’m not absolving Day of blame.

I think not winning the point of attack in the running game is a serious issue. I think if you look back at two years ago, even with Justin Fields, they relied on the power running game with JK Dobbins and the offensive line. As much as they seemed like a finesse team last year, when they needed the short yardage or to establish the run, they were getting beat up front. I think the reliance on the passing game was less part of the plan and more out of necessity. I hope at least they can get back to balance. Making a change with the offensive line coach I guess is the first move there. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2