The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

He isn't going anywhere.  He has a top 5 recruiting class coming in, and Branham is only going to help that going forward after Holtman recruited a 4 star outside of the top 30 in recruiting rankings into a first round draft pick after one year.  You don't get rid of Holtman unless you have a big name lined up.  They lost to a top 10 ranked Villanova team, it's not like they were knocked out by St Peters.

He hasn’t been to the sweet 16 his entire time here. Hasn’t had us contending for the big 10 at all.

We got rid of Matta who did WAY more.

• Like 1

Just now, candyman93 said:

He hasn’t been to the sweet 16 his entire time here. Hasn’t had us contending for the big 10 at all.

We got rid of Matta who did WAY more.

I can get being frustrated, but unless you have a serious name lined up ready to take the job, replacing Holtman right now could be disastrous.  This roster is going to lose somewhere between 8-10 players, including their two best players in Liddell and Branham.  If you lose the incoming recruiting class in an aimless coach search, it could set Ohio State in the mid to lower part of the Big 10 for the next 3-5 years.  4 out of the 5 players coming in are going to be relied on for major minutes, and 2 or 3 will likely start.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

…..where are we right now exactly….?

Not really, UNLESS you have that name ready to step in (and Ohio State has the money to make that happen if they really want it, but they'd need to back up the Brinks truck), they could easily be a sub .500 team not even making the NIT.  They were 5th out of 14 in the Big 10 this year, a 7 seed NCAA tournament team, 20-12 (12-8) record.  Lose this class and what could be following with Branham and Liddell possibly both rd 1 picks, then you are looking at Maryland territory.  Formerly a powerhouse basketball school (2002 National Champions), now 15-17 (7-13) and out of the post season.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading up on spring camp over at Eleven Warriors.

Kyle McCord and Devin Brown are going to have a BATTLE next spring to see who takes over for Stroud is a top 1-2 pick in the 2023 NFL draft. 

Sounds like Marvin Harrison Jr is pretty entrenched as WR2, and Fleming and Egbuka are battling to see who is WR3 and WR4. 

Cade Stover back at TE (boooooooo!!!), partially because no one else has emerged at TE and partially as Knowles base defense is essentially a nickel defense with only 2 LB on the field, and we pretty much won't see 3 LB on the field unless it's a short yardage situation. 

Most of the upper classmen DE's are nursing injuries so at the moment Sawyer and JTT are getting all the first team reps at DE.  Solid chance they grab those spots and don't let go.

Stroud looking like a cyborg programmed to complete passes and crush the spirit of opposing defenses.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was upset to see Stover go back to TE but apparently it was his decision. I really hope Sawyer and JTT take it over. Harrison can be depth at this point. There's no mystery to him and we know what we got and it's just average. 

Extremely excited about what this offense is going to do this upcoming season

As mentioned, the base defense is only going to have two linebackers out there. Stover was good for coming to the other side of the ball in a pinch due to our awful depth at linebacker, but I do think him staying at TE was the right move. I’m not sure he could play in space consistently in a two linebacker defense. If anything, he would be more of a hybrid off the edge, and I’m not sure he has the speed off the ball to dominate in that way. We need some decent sized guy to block at tight end this year, that is the main function, and Stover at least should be competent and help the depth with how we use the position. We don’t really know what we have at linebacker with Jeremy Rucker leaving. We lack experience.

Linebacker will be interesting though. We will see if guys like Chambers and Eichenberg take the next step or not. Eichenberg seemed to be the guy that carried the Tuf Borland torch of LBs that run like they’re sinking into beach sand. Certainly wouldn’t mind if a guy likes CJ Hicks stepped in quickly. However you slice it, the defense can’t be worse than last year. Hopefully they get more pressure upfront this year and play faster in general. 

I feel like there is a lot more to discuss on defense than offense. We kind of know what we have on offense. It should be as good as there is around the country. Assuming they improve their run blocking, they should be even better than last season. What they are doing at quarterback and wide receiver is insane right now. I wouldn’t mind if they spread out reps a little bit more at running back though. I think Treveyon Henderson will take the next step, but I also think they need to use a little bit more rotation and maybe throw Williams in more when it’s short yardage. Henderson hit a bit of a freshman wall and no reason the reps shouldn’t be more split.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

Doesn't look like the WR train will be stopping any time soon. Carnell Tate is pretty much a given, Josiah Trader seems like he loves OSU and said it was a childhood dream to play there, Jeremiah Smith has 3 CBs to us, and Brandon Inniss is coming back for a second visit and said he was very impressed w/ what he first saw although all CBs have him elsewhere. 

All this a year after Grayes, Brown, Burton, and Antwi.......

Did Hartline get that raise yet? Give him another anyway......