The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

McCarthy looks like the real deal and him w/ Donovan Edwards could be a problem but it looks like our offense will have so much fire power and they're losing so much on defense. I hope we put up 70 on them. If Knowles can get these guys right after half a year of practices, we'll destroy them.

It should be 2019 ugly

Reason #157 that I loathe Ryan Day. He’s scheduled to speak at the OHSAA coaches clinic people paid for, which is in Columbus mind you, and he can’t make it.

Sorry guys Ryan Day couldn't make it in from across town, but Pat Narduzzi is on his way from Pittsburgh and Luke Fickell drove from Cincinnati.

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Reason #157 that I loathe Ryan Day. He’s scheduled to speak at the OHSAA coaches clinic people paid for, which is in Columbus mind you, and he can’t make it.

Sorry guys Ryan Day couldn't make it in from across town, but Pat Narduzzi is on his way from Pittsburgh and Luke Fickell drove from Cincinnati.

Not being a jerk, but what exactly do you guys learn at those clinics? It’s not like these guys are going to give you top secret stuff lol

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Not being a jerk, but what exactly do you guys learn at those clinics? It’s not like these guys are going to give you top secret stuff lol

It depends. For some guys, it’s a “building a culture”, a defensive or offensive scheme, etc.

For example, 2 years ago Marcus Freeman spoke on 4-3 defense with a focus on Front 7 philosophy.

Matt Campbell spoke on how to win with 3 star talent.

Larry Johnson spoke on defensive line.

Pat Fitzgerald spoke on tackling and how to use tackle circuits with non contact restrictions.

Coombs spoke on DB fundamentals.

All these guys show film complete with drills.

Aside from keynote speakers, a ton of other big program (HS and college) speak on some specific concepts and drills like odd front, cover 3, inside zone, how to utilize heavy personnel, etc.

It’s full of great stuff.

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It depends. For some guys, it’s a “building a culture”, a defensive or offensive scheme, etc.

For example, 2 years ago Marcus Freeman spoke on 4-3 defense with a focus on Front 7 philosophy.

Matt Campbell spoke on how to win with 3 star talent.

Larry Johnson spoke on defensive line.

Pat Fitzgerald spoke on tackling and how to use tackle circuits with non contact restrictions.

Coombs spoke on DB fundamentals.

All these guys show film complete with drills.

Aside from keynote speakers, a ton of other big program (HS and college) speak on some specific concepts and drills like odd front, cover 3, inside zone, how to utilize heavy personnel, etc.

It’s full of great stuff.

It’s also a great place to network. High schools, small and big colleges, etc. 

I could probably find a job anywhere in the state based upon past networking if I wanted to be a position coach or even try to work my way into small college and beyond. 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:30 AM, MWil23 said:

It’s also a great place to network. High schools, small and big colleges, etc. 

I could probably find a job anywhere in the state based upon past networking if I wanted to be a position coach or even try to work my way into small college and beyond. 

I got to listen to Staley talk about disguising coverages, back in ‘14. You knew he was going places the way he ran his coaches clinics 

On 2/4/2022 at 8:46 AM, candyman93 said:

Its about exchanging ideas and concepts to implement into your own way of coaching. Higher level coaching breaking down how the thought process for how and why they do things, this is critical for coaches who want to be at the top of their game. 

Now you get some guys who sit around and to chalk talk after and have a few beverages and you get a lot of valuable info. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Its about exchanging ideas and concepts to implement into your own way of coaching. Higher level coaching breaking down how the thought process for how and why they do things, this is critical for coaches who want to be at the top of their game. 

Now you get some guys who sit around and to chalk talk after and have a few beverages and you get a lot of valuable info. 

No doubt. That and networking.

Plus, these college coaches have open practice times and make themselves available to coaches for film breakdown...and what do they get out of it?

Pretty Simple:

Ohio is Top 5 in the NATION for recruiting. So, it's in their best interests to play nice and use those pipelines so that I can direct my players to them, or else I can say, "Don't play for _________. He's a loser. Go play for Luke Fickell instead."

• Like 1