The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Not worried about McCord

He got better as the game went on so that is what I have to live on right now. His performance wasn't the best or most encouraging but the line didn't help at all. They are probably my biggest concern.

I think our defense will be top 10 in the country. The secondary played excellent, Sonny Styles will be a future first round pick, they played fast, didn't miss many tackles, and just looked the part. Just need to generate a little more pressure w/ the front four but I am thinking that will happen.

• Like 1

O-line was trash Saturday. That’s gonna have to get better for the offense to get where this team wants. Ultimately, I’m just not convinced Ryan Day teams match up well against some of the physical teams like Michigan. I have no confidence we are going to go out there on 3rd and 2 on offense and get a first down. Remains to be seen whether the Defense can succeed in the inverse. Hard to react to one game but I just have to see it to believe it. McCord isn’t going to be CJ Stroud. Hopefully, they still have a dynamic passing attack though, because these receivers are awesome, and I don’t see this team having the same advantage playing a different style under Day. Also, he could be in for a bounce back here, but Henderson is not as impressive as Trayanum in general out there. Henderson looked to maybe have some improved vision out there but still falls right where he gets hit. 

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Ryan Day (whoever called the plays) conservative and predictable play calling was just as much at fault for the lack of explosiveness offensively.

The fact that they didn’t stay in heavy personnel when they had a clear schematic advantage there against that IU look was really frustrating.

2 TE with a RB and Egbuka and Harrison was the look there all day.

• Like 1

I don't feel like they wanted to show their cards against Indiana and do more of a vanilla offense to go through the motions. Definitely need to work on some things. Just hoping they improve week by week and get prepared for ND. Day said McCord is the starter but Brown will get more time this weekend. 

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I don't feel like they wanted to show their cards against Indiana and do more of a vanilla offense to go through the motions. Definitely need to work on some things. Just hoping they improve week by week and get prepared for ND. Day said McCord is the starter but Brown will get more time this weekend. 

The problem is we aren’t as established up front to be methodical like that.

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

I didnt see a snap from todays game

I'll watch the highlights later today

Any thoughts on performance from someone who watched?

I feel like we should probably be at least in the 40s vs YGS, but idk maybe they're good someone please enlighten me 

The offense looks like a work in progress. You can tell Day is trying to figure out who is going to be the long term starters so there is more roster shuffling than usual.

McCord looked much better than week 1. He was surgical at points and make a bunch of great throws. You can tell his confidence is growing the more game reps he is getting. It wasn't Heisman level great but it was a significant leap from last week. Brown on the other hand looks bad. I'm over the experiment of trying to get him snaps, he misses so many throws when he gets the chance, and McCord just looks more mature and ready right now.

Marv is unstoppable, but I would like them to get Ebuka and Flemming more involved. They had some looks today but the offense right now is so heavily slanted in Marvs direction. Not sure if that's cause for concern in the future when good teams actively try to eliminate him. Ebuka was getting frustrated with Brown because he threw 2-3 terrible balls to him and didn't even give him a chance.

Henderson looked phenomenal. They are still doing this platoon RB thing with Miyan + #19 so it's weird seeing Henderson get pulled for series at a time. Again, this is a part where the game feels like a exhibition game. Like they are trying using these early games as glorified joint team practices trying to figure out lineups. I would like to see Henderson be more of a focal point of this offense and stop relying on these young QBs throwing 50x a game. Henderson is special, use him more!

The OL still looks.....average at best. It worried me. They should be able to run the ball down the throats up and down the field of these teams and it's just not happening. 

The defense looked good but not as good as last week. They didn't play with a lot of pop and it felt like this was a game where they got sleepy because it's Youngstown St and not a big time opponent. Played slow and played down to their opponent a bit.

The pass rush was largely non existent especially from your studs. Nobody really did much of anything which is again, worrying. OSUs front 7 should have dominated this game but it simply didn't.

Denzel Burke looks like he's finally becoming that CB1 he was pegged to be 2 years ago. Nice bounce back year so far from him.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

Easily the best this team has looked all year. Defense was lights out against a pretty efficient offense holding them to low totals they haven't seen in a few years. I'm keeping things in perspective bc it is WKU but they certainly looked the part. Kyle looked excellent and has gotten better every weekend. Feel about as good as I can going into next weekend. Not sure how it'll play out but at least we've taken steps in the right direction and hopefully we can come out on top. 

This might be a ridiculous statement but I need confirmation and I will use this again in the future.

...Has their ever been a WR prospect with the combination of size, speed, route running, nuance, smarts in CFB history that Marvin Harrison Jr has? 

I dont think it's crazy to say he is the greatest WR prospect of all time if he keeps his current pace. Is he a the white whale for talent evaluators? Hes like Justin Jefferson if JJ was 6'4 and ran 22mph.

#flameme

Edited by AkronsWitness

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

This might be a ridiculous statement but I need confirmation and I will use this again in the future.

...Has their ever been a WR prospect with the combination of size, speed, route running, nuance, smarts in CFB history that Marvin Harrison Jr has? 

I dont think it's crazy to say he is the greatest WR prospect of all time if he keeps his current pace. Is he a the white whale for talent evaluators? Hes like Justin Jefferson if JJ was 6'4 and ran 22mph.

#flameme

He’s fantastic. I think Calvin though had what Marvin does but was bigger. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

#flameme

21 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He’s fantastic. I think Calvin though had what Marvin does but was bigger. 

Calvin and Randy

The only reason Moss fell to the mid first was because he was booted from Notre Dame and Florida State.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Calvin and Randy

The only reason Moss fell to the mid first was because he was booted from Notre Dame and Florida State.

Idk....Randy/Calvin as prospects had size and speed but I'm not sure either had the route running or nuance Marvin has. Randy especially made a entire career out of running streaks lol

It's just interesting like I can't think of another prospect who was 6'4 with a 30ft wingspan who runs a 4.3 flat and has the route running ability of the best of the best. It's remarkable.

The best comp I can't think of is really Justin Jefferson but if JJ was bigger/faster/stronger

Edited by AkronsWitness